Black People : Least recommended country in Europe to go if you are Black

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/512996/Rurik
Rurik was a Viking, or Varangian, prince. His story is told in the The Russian Primary Chronicle (compiled at the beginning of the 12th century) but is not accepted at face value by modern historians. According to the chronicle, the people of Novgorod, tired of political strife, invited the Varangians about ad 862 to establish an orderly and just government there. Hence, Rurik came with his two brothers and a large retinue (druzhina) and became ruler of the city and region of Novgorod.
Some historians think that Rurik came from the Scandinavian peninsula or from Jutland (now in Denmark) and seized the town of Ladoga, on Lake Ladoga. After establishing a stronghold there (c. 855), he may have gone southward along the Volkhov and captured Novgorod. Another possibility is that Rurik and his army were mercenaries, hired to guard the Volkhov-Dnieper waterway, who turned against their employers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurik
Even though some historians emphasize folklore roots for the Rurik legend and consequently dismiss Rurik as a legendary figure, there is a controversy about his ethnic origins in Eastern Europe.[citation needed]
According to the Primary Chronicle Rurik was one of the Rus, a Varangian tribe likened by the chronicler to Danes, Swedes, English and Gotlanders. In the 20th century, archaeologists partly corroborated the chronicle's version of events. It was discovered that the settlement of Ladoga, whose foundation has been ascribed to Rurik, was actually established in the mid-9th century. Earthenware, household utensils, and types of buildings from the period of Rurik's foundation correspond to patterns then prevalent in Jutland.

No Dreads, those are decoration coming off the helmet. For your vacations, I would recommend Africa. The islands are happy without all the strife brought here from up there.

This information does make me believe was the poster said about Rurik minus the dreads. The decorations on his helmet may not be dreads, but this post does point to a possible ethnic origin. There were Black people in ancient Scandinavia. So when they say he was from Scandinavia, that is one thing, but when they say he was from possibly Denmark which is southern Scandinavia, he could have been a mix-bred Black man. Denmark or 'Danmark' has got some interesting history with its Dolmen stones like what was all over ancient North Africa and elsewhere in early times. It the historians say he was possible 'Rus' well that is another clue to his possible ethnic origins as well.

hmmm, very interesting history.

I do think this is important information for Black people who want to go travel in Europe. It may help them to understand why they might run into racism at unawares. Some Europeans might share some information but because there has been such a Black out on this kind of information for Black people, they need to know some history as to how at one time Europe was before it became predominantly Europeanized. Many Black Americans don't think about the movements, historical movement that occurred in Europe that purged places of certain cultures. Now perhaps tourism has caused an appeal for American dollars, but if Black people don't do some research, they might go and get their feelings hurt if they should be faced with hostility or worse. Officials can't prevent everything if the government doesn't do something to deal with the mindsets of the past that may have been conditioned to think negatively about Black people.

Wow! You know, after i responded to your post to me, later on in the day, I kept being reminded about your avatar name, off and on, and then it came to my remembrance, that it is connected to Hungarian history. From what I remembered when I read up on Hungary in the past, about 90% of Hungarian people called 'Magyarian' are blonde haired and blue-eyed European people and migrated their in a much earlier time. Is that correct? Anyway, I decided to look at your profile and found this post, and there it is!!!--I see here that you are definitely from Hungaria!

When I used to think of Hungaria and Budapest, I used to think about Zsa zsa Gabor, the immigrants that came to America during the World Wars, and then later I thought about the news about Michael Jackson and Priscilla Presley, and when Michael went there to perform and etc. but now after reading this post, I have learned more and I am trying to grasp an updated concept in these fast and changing times.

Magyar basically means Hungarian in our language. It is a foreign language that came from Asia when the ancient hungarian tribes arrive to Europe 1200 years ago. Some legends say that we are related to the Huns, which also came to Europe from Asia about 500 years earlier than us and settle in the same location, coindicentely. What is true is that there are many similarities and traditions between Huns and Hungarians, and some Hungarians today even have asian eyes. But after the Mongol invasions that decimated the ancient kingdom of Hungary, the country was repopulated with other ethnic groups like germans, slavs, etc. So basically we are a big mix of different people, but it is not true that we are 90% blonde haired and blue eyed. Dark hair and eyes are also very common here (im like that). I think that Magyarian "theory" you mention may possibly have something to do with the hungarian Arrow Cross Party, a group that were friends with the Nazi and had similar theories about "Aryans"...

It is great that you know some things about Hungary because most people dont know we exist! I see that the stereotype that Americans do not know foreign history or geography is not true hehe

Magyar basically means Hungarian in our language. It is a foreign language that came from Asia when the ancient hungarian tribes arrive to Europe 1200 years ago. Some legends say that we are related to the Huns, which also came to Europe from Asia about 500 years earlier than us and settle in the same location, coindicentely. What is true is that there are many similarities and traditions between Huns and Hungarians, and some Hungarians today even have asian eyes. But after the Mongol invasions that decimated the ancient kingdom of Hungary, the country was repopulated with other ethnic groups like germans, slavs, etc. So basically we are a big mix of different people, but it is not true that we are 90% blonde haired and blue eyed. Dark hair and eyes are also very common here (im like that). I think that Magyarian "theory" you mention may possibly have something to do with the hungarian Arrow Cross Party, a group that were friends with the Nazi and had similar theories about "Aryans"...

It is great that you know some things about Hungary because most people dont know we exist! I see that the stereotype that Americans do not know foreign history or geography is not true hehe

Beautiful!

Thank you very much for the information.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back