Science and Technology : Learning Electronics Together?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by anAfrican, Jan 11, 2007.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    With a free book called Lessons In Electronics, particularly in it's html version, I'm wondering if any if there might be any interest in a group self-teaching project? (there was a better intro, but i lost it hitting the wrong button ...)

2. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Great THANKS.

Electronic AGE of SOLDERING is almost OVER.

COMPUTERS are making COMPUTERS these DAYS.

Althought OUR PEOPLE sometimes have OLD RADIO SYSTEMS and these SKILLS can be PUT TO USE for IT.

3. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    one can believe that it is almost over if one wants to. and to some extent, there is a lot of validity in that belief.

however, knowledge being power; understanding how that stuff works and the ability to harness that knowledge for our own benefit seems to me to be of enormous value!

4. darkreign

darkreign Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    good point.

learning this will at least give a person the basic knowledge of electrical theory but i think these books may be going too far in thinking that it can be self taught, imo it is not possible. particulary when it comes to inductance and capacitive reactance.

5. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    whoa!! "whar'd you larn them big ole words?" <grin> "two pies for lunch": 2 times pi = inductance? ... no .. there's something missing there, isn't there? :lol: just one of the mnemonics that got stuck in my head from the electronics program I attended a lot of years ago. [Seattle Opportunities Industrialization Center in Seattle; founded by Mt. Zion Baptist Church - 82? 83? ...] ( ..er .. two times pi times inductance = ? .. er ..)

anyway: "self taught". i guess that is part of the reason that i tossed it up here: if a number of folks are looking/puzzling over the same material, bouncing off each other might help to bring understanding? on the other hand, there is the issue of "hands on" type stuff. (oops: lost in the lost original post) at the site linked, there is a link to another of the author/teacher's projects; "Socratic Electronics" - worksheets for guiding students to learn by discussing/thinking through the stuff.

besides that, if you know enough to suggest that these two items, for example, might be a bit difficult, i would think that you know enough to offer some valuable insights when we get to that point. (aren't those related to AC?)

i think that there has been a lot of energy expended in convincing people that they can not learn on their own ... a good way to keep folks from branching out and coming up with individual power/knowledge.

could we try it and see if we can "self teach" ourselves?

6. darkreign

Ratings:
    +2
    Hahahaha

I feel ya bruh…I luv the one for impedance .."z"

“the total opposition to the flow of ac”

hot dam…that one got me hooked :laugh:

7. darkreign

Ratings:
    +2
    besides that, if you know enough to suggest that these two items, for example, might be a bit difficult, i would think that you know enough to offer some valuable insights when we get to that point. (aren't those related to AC?)

i know alot, i'm an electrical eng. if you are up in the great NW, you may have seen some of my workf if you ever go to T-Town (tacoma)

8. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Hello anAfrican, do you know how i can get rid of virues in my computer without paying the same people who infected it?

sorry i know the question is off topic

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    only technically "off topic", but the spirit of your question does follow the spirit of this thread: gaining the Knowledge for YourSelf! and the only "payment" is taking the time and effort to Learn.

AVG, Adaware, Spybot Search&Destroy, SpywareBlaster. (i should fix that AVG link; AVG Free [fixed] ) i never did have a good experience with ZoneAlarm when i was running windows, but a firewall is a good part of home security. some of that other stuff listed in that post is good stuff to know/be aware of, too.

i absolutely do NOT trust microsoft's malware tools. to me, it's like letting the fox handle security for the henhouse! or putting a deadbolt on the screendoor while the local crimeboss is sitting up in your best chair using the communications gear that you pay for to let the rest of the gang know what stuff is good to steal, where it is and how it is protected.

10. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    i absolutely do NOT trust microsoft's malware tools. to me, it's like letting the fox handle security for the henhouse! or putting a deadbolt on the screendoor while the local crimeboss is sitting up in your best chair using the communications gear that you pay for to let the rest of the gang know what stuff is good to steal, where it is and how it is protected.[/QUOTE]
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

you are one funny dude...a genius though...i knew you wouldn't fail me..Ose again...