Computers - Software Hardware : Learn You a Haskell for Great Good! (Haskell Programming Book)

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gorilla, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
  2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Thanks Brother Gorilla. I'd never heard of Haskell before, seems interesting.

The tutorial says ... This tutorial is aimed at people who have experience in imperative programming languages (C, C++, Java, Python …) but haven't programmed in a functional language before (Haskell, ML, OCaml …). Although I bet that even if you don't have any significant programming experience, a smart chap like you will be able to follow along and learn Haskell.

Are you a programmer? Have you used this in projects? Can you show us?

A person who has no significant programming experience, how long would it take them to learn this (approximately)?

Thanks again for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I guess one might call me a programmer, but I don't get as much dev oriented or domain-specific work as I'd like these days.

I've never used Haskell (or any pure functional programming language before). I've fiddled with Lisp dialects (Scheme in particular), but nothing that ever ended in production.

A person with no programming experience could follow along, but it would probably just take a little more effort. If a person ends up hitting some issues in Haskell, there seems to be a pretty great community to get help from.

Land of Lisp (Barski -- a really nice guy btw) might be a better introduction to functional programming. The book isn't available online from the other or the publisher (same as the book above), but the premise is to learn Lisp by writing games.

I guess it would be reasonable to say that a person could pick up quite a bit of Haskell in about 6 months. Of course, to claim to know a language takes a lot more investment.

I don't contribute to any of these projects, but here's an interesting list of Haskell in action:
    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools

It's pretty cool to see some web frameworks are being implemented in Haskell.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Thank you for sharing, and i will check out the projects linked above.

I think we need a thread / forum on software alone, understanding when to use which, what it does, etc.

Which is easiest to learn, what you can actually teach yourself, a host of different things.

As i mentioned, i'd not heard of this one ... but i have now ... :) ... Thanks Again.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee