Black People : Leadership Perplex?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Sep 14, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    With all the potential strength in numbers why are so many people scared to move toward progressive solutuions unless someone is willing to stand up and be the leade?

Leaders are wonderful but the movements they start seldom outlive them and are easily derailed by reports of their less than stellar reputation and moral character. So since we are all warriors why doesn't anyone just stand up and cast their bread on the water?

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I hear what you're saying river. I agree. My thought is, if there is going to be a black revolution of any sort, it will not come out of the U.S. I just don't think it will happen. I think the minds of African American people as a whole at this point in time are not strong enough to want to change anything. Just because there are a lot of us, doesn't mean the majority of us will move even with adequate leadership. I honestly think most African Americans would sit idle if a Malcolm X-type leader was to rise right now. The times are different now and we're a lot more comfortable with the way things are. People like the ones on this site are very rare. The way I think is very different from anyone else in my family or in my circle of friends. Even the ones that lived during the Civil Rights Movement. Most people I know really don't see anything wrong with America aside from racism here and there. They all see it as something that can be remedied with financial success and hard work.

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder if there will ever be another black revolution at all? To think that hard work and financial success won't cure your problems in any society is enough to make you want to give up on life altogether. African Americans have the most at their disposal in this country, so if there was another black people that were to come, and be able to revolutionalize all of our people's experience in this world it would be nothing short of a miracle.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I think the reason why many of our people are afraid to stand up and lead is because of the fear of repercussions. Those of us who are old enough saw our most progressive leaders killed off or put in prison, and generation X has not been taught how to lead.

The other stumbling blocks are complacency, narcissism and greed. For the last 20 years too many of us have bought into the idea of "I gotta get paid", usually by becoming a professional basketball, football player, or rapper. Even many of our people attending college are not getting a degree to make a change for our people, but to make "mo money'.

Consequently, the few progressive sistahs and brothas that are trying to make a difference are being overlooked by those in search of bling bling and unbridled sex.

5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree. I think if a person stands up and makes some noise, it will make waves and the conscious people in America will heed the call. Then there will be the large majority of "us" that will sit and wonder why we are making accusations of racism when we are "free". We are free to live where we want. We are free to buy into greed. We are free to eat until we burst out of our pants. We are free to get a big house next door to any white person. Not many of us see the big picture, and there will be no few number of "us" trying to undermine the efforts of people who want real freedom and stability, not the illusion that America gives us. That's why I don't think anything will happen with African Americans, even though we do have a good amount of progressive minded people. All our beautiful brothers and sisters that are really wanting change won't be enough if we have to fight the majority of us that don't want change, on top of the white people who will all gather and fight against it.

6. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    It's like a hundred people in our community will be punished for the wrong 10 did, but even a good 10 amongst our people will be overlooked so much that they won't be able reach one living soul. With this type of stuff you can see why so many of us develop the "I got mine" attitude. So thing idiotic, if we get set back any further with this stuff we'll be wiped out completely.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Well said brotha !

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Y'all right my brothas.

And this didn't start 20 years ago or with generation X. This started with integration--with the Raisin in the Sun mentality when we started thinking of progress as a bigger house in a white neighborhood for individual families. I'm not criticizing anyone for writing a book but that mentality helped to dissociate progress from unity. When the family's dreams were dashed because their "friend" ran off with the insurance money it helped solidify the idea that solidarity with the underclas is detrimental to the progress of the so-called talented tenth.

This mentality is in its heyday right now. Kente is right we already have someone like Malcolm--Farrakhan but a man who represents Blacks in one religion will fail to reach the majority of us. Even Malcolm didn't have a broad following until after his death when his ideas became part of the legend of the movement as a whole.

Maybe Bush will save us. Maybe he will make racism so blatant in this country that many of us will be shaken out of our complacency in spite of the toothless christian leaders who tell us not to worry about what Bush is doing.

9. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

That's what will have to happen river. IMO, black people will have to be under blatant attack from whites. There can be no gray area where the majority of blacks can just chalk it up to a couple of whites here and there. Black people as a whole will just look the other way and believe in their heart of hearts that:

1. Racism is no more.
    2. Jesus will come and punish white people
    3. We have to smile while we're getting pissed on because we'll get our heavenly prize when we die.

If a leader does rise, he/ she has to be neutral as far as religion. I mean, they can have a religion, but they can't try and lead according to religion, because that alienates a large portion of us, and we need everybody that has a little sense in their head. We have black leadership now. Eddie Long, T.D. Jakes, Al Sarpton, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakan etc. They all have one thing in common. They use religion to mold people and they have ties to the U.S. government (not Louis Farrakan, as far as I know). Both of those qualities are no good. I'm not even sure if a leader can mobilize the large portion of African Americans on the basis of being black, because so many African Americans go through the day in denial of their skin color anyways. We would have to have one thing in common, we are in a life and death situation. I mean, we are now, but I mean a life and death situation that means immediate death. Then black people would unify behind that. White people know that too. That's why there have been no "in your face" attacks against blacks as a whole, because they see we do more damage to ourselves when they just sit back and let us try and immulate them.

For African Americans to move, white people would literally have to be beating down the doors of black people and yanking them off to concentration camps. Anything less will be excused.

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    But you know what? This same situation existed in King's day. In fact one of his famous quotes says "The shame of this century will not be the awful clamor of the bad people but the appalling silence of the good people." And yes even at that time christian leaders were telling them to wait and be patient that it wasn't the right time to be free.

Yet it took one tired woman who refused to give up her seat, two tired garbage collecters trying to get out of the rain . It was the people who got tired and lead themselves in a movement that brought about change. What will it take to make us really tired? Sick and tired?

Pardon me boss
    I didn't mean to be cross
    Lawd shet my mouf
    Bout this sad nation
    So I can be shet off
    From this trial and tribulation