Black Entertainment : Lauryn Hill Attacked For Anti Gay Lyrics

Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Lauryn Hill has landed in hot water over questionable lyrics found in her latest single "Neurotic Society." While the artist gears for the release of her first solo studio album in almost 15 years (coupled with an impending prison sentence), she is now faced with explaining her possible homophobia.

On the track "Neurotic Society" (Compulsory Mix) Hill fires off rapidly with a collection of bars that attack everything from society, politics, to the fall of the new Babylon she has frequently mentioned in the past (listen to the song here). However, woven within her syllable flips and charged up lines are a series of mentions about the gay community somehow targeting them as the root of the ruin. The lines in question arrive in couplets: "We're living in a joke time/metaphorical coke time/Commerce and girl men/run the whole world men," she blasts at the opening of the song. Lines like, "Quick scam and drag queens/Real life's been blasphemed" plus "Serial criminals dressed in variety/Social transvestism subliminal dressed up as piety" arrive within the verses, raising eyebrows about Hill's intent behind the mic.

While it can be argued that she is using these words as metaphors for something bigger, the community (both gay and straight) is asking questions. "That could be interpreted by some as a vilification of gay pride," Andrew Belonsky of Out.com states. "But, then again, it could also be interpreted as the simple ramblings of a complicated woman known for making outlandish comments." Monica Miller of BET.com penned an editorial titled "It's Time To Be Honest With Lauryn Hill," and bluntly stated: "As we love to love Hill, let’s love her enough to be honest with her: Enough with responding to one social injustice by perpetuating another. You’re a better MC than that!"

This isn't the first time that Lauryn Hill has been under fire for her so-called "beliefs." During her Fugees days, Hill was accused of being racist as a comment about making music predominantly for the black community snowballed into a rumor that she would rather have children die than have White people buy her albums. She eventually squelched the rumor during an MTV special, but it is something that has haunted her for years. Now there's this. While Hill awaits a three-month prison term for tax evasion starting in June, she will now have to explain herself lyrically before releasing her new album she inked with Sony to pay off a portion of her tax debt.

There is no response yet on Lauryn Hill's behalf.

I remember when there was a time when people didn't get up in arms about folks "slandering" and "attacking" gay people.
It was when gas prices were low, there wasn't some meaningless war going on in another country, kids weren't wearing skinny jeans, 56k Modem, my favorite movie House Party 3 came out on VHS, Michael Jackson hadn't been accused of molesting the chilluns', 2Pac and Biggie were alive, the economy was decent and people had something called a JOB...and my cousin was still in the closet.

I remember when there was a time when people didn't get up in arms about folks "slandering" and "attacking" gay people.
It was when gas prices were low, there wasn't some meaningless war going on in another country, kids weren't wearing skinny jeans, 56k Modem, my favorite movie House Party 3 came out on VHS, Michael Jackson hadn't been accused of molesting the chilluns', 2Pac and Biggie were alive, the economy was decent and people had something called a JOB...and my cousin was still in the closet.

But from what I see, she really didn't slander them. And if she did, she slandered everyone else too. So, now we're so PC we cant even talk about gays at all?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back