Black People : Latino vote

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Therious, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I hate when I hear blacks use terms like "our latino brothers and sisters".
    I truly think that this vote could come down to the states with high concentrations of latinos, especially mexicans in the west.

Clinton took California because of the latino vote, at least that is what was reported. I see no real reason why these so called latinos vote for Clinton,besides the fact that she is a white. Black leaders always seem to advocate for latinos, why? It is obvious where they stand,it always has been.I remeber when they were begging blacks to support their imigration thing, even if Obama guranteed that he would send buses to cart their relatives over the border they would still vote for a white candidate imo.

This is a growing population which out numbers blacks in CA, and elsewhere. Should these people be considered a threat or a hostile group just as europeans?I have said yes to that q for many years. My background is the cause for that being that I have witnessed racial gang wars between blacks and mexicans 1st hand.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Brother Therious please...

Before going off on "latinos" in yet another thread, and I told some folks before that if you ain't about coalition building don't expect other non-whites to vote for or support Obama, look at some very simple facts.

Black people make up about 13-14% of California's population which is close to the national average. Obama has beaten Clinton in states with less than that percentage. In the California primary, only 4% of the Democratic voters were Black. 4%.

This is a classic example of us expecting others to do what we fail to do ourselves and Black folks in California are notorious for this. Whites, Asians, Latinos AND Blacks voted for Clinton in California.

So, why try to reduce this to one factor when there are numerous factors involved? Furthermore, look who Clinton's new campaign manager is and where she is from!

The other thing is that in California Clinton won by a percentage that closely reflects the gender gap in California where 55% of the eligible democratic voters are WOMEN.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    MY POINT WAS, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT LATINOS ARE INTERSETED IN A COALITION WITH AA'S. I THINK FOR STATUS AND CLASS AND SHEER HATRED REASONS THEY WANT TO ROLL WITH WHITES.POINT TAKEN ON THAT PERCENTAGE BREAK DOWN.IM JUST SAYIN IMO IT IS A WASTE TO CONTINUOUSLY COURT LATINOS. I THINK WE ARE SPINING OUR WHEELS. LOL HOPE I AM NOT TAKEN AS GOING OFF,JUST HOW I FEEL MAN LOL.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Brother Therious, my only thing with you is how many times are we going to keep going in circles over this?

Why does it always have to come down to race?

What about the ISSUES involved?

Barack Obama is not favored by "latinos" because he got a low rating on immigration reform from LULAC while Clinton got a high rating.

While you and other black folks dismiss "latinos" as "white folks" they are at the same time dealing with hostility from whites on the immigration issue. White folks who let them know they ain't white. White folks who here is Texas are passing english-speaking only ordinances and penalizing some retailers who hire undocumented workers.

As far as Californians ACROSS THE BOARD voting for Clinton, check Maxine Waters who is a superdelegate pledged to Clinton. A lot of that small % of Black folks, especially in Southern Cal are gonna vote the way Maxine and Diane Watson vote. And if they said Hilllary, that's the ways their constituients voted. And this is why I say, if Black "insiders" don't vote for Obama, why expect "latinos" to do any different?

I mean really bruh. As far as "rolling with the white folks" that's exactly what BLACK folks in Cali been doing for years!

Black folks voted for James Hahn in larger numbers than Villaraigosa in both elections. Black voted to impeach Grey Davis and voted in Arnold.

Really, some of the most outspoken Clinton supporters are BLACK, not "latino", and I'm talking nationally (such as Hastings in Florida).

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    I was initially going to take Therious's position and say it is the Latinos, but you placed it fair and square - on US.

The Willie Lynch crabs in a barrel mentality is the biggest choke hold we as a people face. Of course, as a devout Marimba Anite, I will also advance the seductive and tantalizing approach of White Supremacy which is a strong factor in why the colored peoples of this world can not unite. The old divide and conquer tactic operating on a mutiplicity of levels. The white man's tentacles have a long reach, subtly influencing could-be allies to oppose one another. My uncle fought in Korea and he recalled Koreans asking them (the Black soliders) at the time where their was. The white man put it on their mind.

One article, I read today at work, from Saint Louis posed the statement that it was hard to gauge the Latino vote. One individual, an architectural illustrator expatriated from Mexico and married to a Black woman, made an interesting observation. He said that many Latinos are used to whites holding a governing position and are, if only for "brainwashed" perceptions, weary of a Black person leading.

A day before the vote was held in Washington state, the question to which candidate Asian-Americans were aligned with. It was reported that more Asian-Americans were more comfortable with Billary and felt more confident with her. A young Asian-American said something to similiar to the Mexican guy from Saint Louis. One thing I noticed people use, in defending their decision toward Hillary, is the word "experience". I, personally, believe this is a code-word to hide people's prejudices and biases in a really tactful and polite way.

As someone that celebrates his First Nation heritage, as well as, his Black one, I can say early on in the presidential nomination both Billary and Barack snubbed an increasingly unified and formidable voting bloc - the First Nations people. Last year, when the debates were happening all over the place, a First Nations group organized a debate for the Democratic candidates. Both the two remaining people failed to attend. Of course, the argument is scheduling conflicts, but there was cold chill felt among the people. Right before Super Tuesday, both candidates tried to open up shop on the Navajo rez, the nation's largest reservation encompassing two states. One thing I noticed in the southwest states, you have a few "Latinos" that identify themselves as Indians because in their countries that's what they are seen as. It behooves any candidate to make the connection and understand that the Tohono O'odham, Yaquai and Kumeyaay peoples, among others, are two country groups with relatives living across the border, especially in the Sonoran desert. Understand where I'm coming from. Many people, we know as "Mexicans" (Mixetec) and (mestizo) are very secretly Nahuatl speakers. The Nahuatl language is the modern-day Aztec language, which is part of the Uto-Aztecan linguistic superphylum. Funniest thing is my great grandfather is Numunu (Comanche) and they spoke Shoshonean, which is part of Uto-Aztecan family.

Blackbird

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    My dear Brother...

I have to place this on US, especially in reference to California because I moved from Cali after "seeing the writing on the wall" in 2005.

I'm going to make one point here and risk ostracism (again) at the same time but I may be the one person who does not buy into this "latino Problem" at this time because I just simply view it as more divide and conquer politics".

I KNOW some very progressive, further to the Left "latinos" who have no hatred or hostility for Black people (at least not openly) including some very high ranking "insiders" and every single one has a history of working in colaitions across race, gender and class. They are going to vote for Clinton out of party and PERSONAL loyalty.

They have no real reason to support Obama considering his positions on various policies that affect the "latino" community such as immigration rights. And quite frankly, Hillary Clinton is gonna get the vote in California of its most powerful WOMEN. Dianne Feinstein, Hilda Solis, Dianne Watson, and most likely Barbara Boxer. These women, collectively are to the political LEFT of Barack Obama. In fact, in comparison, on policy issues, Obama is a "centrist" which makes him more accomodating to the conservative democrates and independents who don't trust McCain and view him as a "liberal".

There are a lot of factors involved here a lot deeper than the surface "race factor".

I will be glad when black people finally realize this and look at the ISSUES instead of the personalities.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    No, I actually agree. That's what I was saying in so many words, although I feel racial biases do play role in Obama lack of appeal among non-white demographics. I believe Obama missed an opportunity last year to connect with a broader base of voters. He is the underdog clearly due to lack of clear name recognition and political connections. He could have sparked a more massive movement.

Blackbird

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

yeah, racial "bias" plays a part of it among those who can't see past the surface.

what I have been trying to do though is challenge folks to look beyond and beneath the surface. this is hard to do because at the same time i speak from a vantage point where i was involved in some of the very same issues back in 1984. plain and simple. i just know on a very intimate level some "latinos" who are very politically sophisticated, who have a long track record of COMMUNITY BUILDING ACROSS RACIAL LINES and quite franlky, Obama and many of his supporters are not a part of their various "networks".

again, I gotta look at California.

Clinton's campaign manager was HILDA SOLIS.

HILDA SOLIS is tight with Maria Echaveste, Dianne Watson, Dainne Feinstein, Maxine Waters and most of the most politically LEFTIST oriented WOMEN elected officials in amerika.

These are RADICAL FEMINISTS with an Agenda, that cuts ACROSS RACE.

That is the irony of the Clinton campaign in using the race question as a tactical maneuver because they got the Black and Latino WOMEN DNC leadership virtually on lock. Notice what I said Black AND Latino WOMEN.

10. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I APPRECIATE THIS INFO. WE WILL SEE OW IT PLAYS OUT. BARACK SUPPOSEDLY PICKED MORE LATINO VOTES IN MY STATE OF VA. THAT IS AN INTERESTING POINT YOU MAKE OF THE RIGGING OF VOTING.DELEGATES ARE A BUNCH BULL ANY WAY.