Pan Africanism : Latino or Afro-Latino? You decide!

PurpleMoons said:
Sister Moo Moo With much respect of your native tongue, would you please translate that in english for those here who don't speak your language? The primary language used on this site is english, being that the majority speak and understand it.

Sister Purple here is what MooMoo wrote, translated by Mrs. PanAfrica (who was born & educated in Spain):

Don’t bring me this s--- of revolution, because the revolution didn’t do anything for our people. Here I tell you that you don’t have any idea. Since you are the son of a worm, what the hell do you know about living in Cuba? Go to hell with that! If you think you are a Black of Cuban descent, it is your creation. You have the right to live your way, and don’t think that everyone has to follow your way because in Cuba we have big problems. We think first in the humanity, and it’s not because we want to deny who we are. It is because we have enough culture, and understanding of our origins. We don’t have time for stupid things like Cuban worms that are your parents, who fled, and quickly forgot their country! Most people who are around you are white, they like racism. If your parents tell you how it was really like under Batista, you might understand 10% of the experience. I am 61 years old my little son. I have a lot of stories to share with you. I have lived, if you want to know what it is like to be Cuban. I am a descendant of Mandinka, there is no mix! I could tell you that my great grandparents came from Africa. I even know their names, and where they came from. What can you say? With your worm education, not that much!

As you can see Moo Moo switched to Spanish for a reason! This must be yet another example of how "nice" Moo Moo is....Or maybe this is a Cuban custom? Education through insults. Either way Moo Moo just as Eterro has never lived in Cuba, you have never lived in the United States. Therefore you can't invalidate Eterro's experiences any more than he can yours! This is a public message board, as sister PurpleMoons requested please keep all post in English. If you want to conduct a private conversation send a PM!

P.S. For all your "talk" of Cuba, I can't help but notice you live in Canada!

I don't think she is invalidating anything there. It seems that there is a gap of difference between those Cubans who live in Miami and those who are living in Cuba. As a Puerto Rican and a Latina, I can understand both sides of this situation. Sometimes people can run hot over political issues (Puerto Ricans, too, considering what is going on with us in terms of status and finding identity). Each one is expressing their perspective, but I don't think throwing water into a pan of burning oil is going to solve it, PanAfrica. It seems like a conversation that must see its course. MooMoo is trying to say that it is different in Cuba and that Etero is not really aware of the situation for Black people there. Please don't incite a situation here! There is no where I read where it says "Go to hell with that!" You are interpreting it in too literal of a way and are missing its tone and Latino perspective. Etero is speaking of his experience in Miami with the Cubans (who are mostly white and are the ones who fled Cuba). MooMoo is explainging that those types of Cubans are like the elites who still hold on to racist perspectives.

Please be cordial. As passionate as each one sounds, this is just how Latin people talk sometimes (doesn't make everything correct). Still show some love when talking and discussing. :hearts2:

I have to kind of concur with Moo Moo

(In Reference to White and Black Cubans).

There are scores of Black Cubans in Cuba who favor Castro over Batista. There are also Black Cubans here in the states that feel the same way (Me being one).

I think one clear cut example, of this fact is that, many White Cubans do not support Castro beause he provided equality in Cuba. Where as Batista only had a regime of racism.

I think Zoraida is right, things in the states and the mainland are always going to be different.

Thats all yall.

Zoraida said:
I don't think throwing water into a pan of burning oil is going to solve it, PanAfrica. It seems like a conversation that must see its course. MooMoo is trying to say that it is different in Cuba and that Etero is not really aware of the situation for Black people there. Please don't incite a situation here! There is no where I read where it says "Go to hell with that!" You are interpreting it in too literal of a way and are missing its tone and Latino perspective.

Sister Zoraida:

One can discuss the difference between life for Cuban nationals in Cuba & abroad without insulting someone's parents, that isn't necessary! At Destee.com our first rule is being respectful to others, this is not. Also if you feel the translation was incorrect, please provide your own. However I must say that since Spanish is my wife's 1st language (the only language she spoke & wrote for 25 years), I highly doubt the translation is wrong. Still if the conversation is kept in the language it has been for 11 pages, one which everyone can read, there would be no misunderstanding. This particular exchange is not isolated, it is part of a longstanding dialog (within this thread & others). If Moo Moo wants to make it a private conversation, she should send a PM!

I understand, papi, but pleeeeease....... I am getting a headache over here trying to read through these posts. It's a cheerful time of the year (should be every day, but still). Let's not get into a pissing contest with each other. I also speak Spanish and it also my 1st language, but jeeez. Tell your wife that "alla" does not mean "hell" nor does it imply that. It's like saying "you need to chill with that" more than anything else. The tone and cultural angle she is coming from appears to be of someone who is from there which is always gonna be different than someone raised here. I don't know how to explain cultural differences especially over the internet. I am used to being a liason to people in my own family who don't all speak English and naturally draw knowledge and references from a different angle. (sigh) I am almost sorry I opened my mouth here. :weird:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back