Black Sports : Latin players leave Afro-Americans aside

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Destee, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Latin players leave Afro-Americans aside

Outfielder Gary Sheffield explained that the reduced amount of Afro-American players in the Majors is a consequence of the arrival of Latins players.

The player made these comments to magazine GQ, adding that the Majors heads prefer hiring black Latin players as the fact that they are foreigners makes them easier to control.

However, reality has shown the opposite. Latin players could be many in the MLB if there were no fees, as they are better than the English, the Asian, and the Afro-American, as regards performance.

If anyone takes a look at the individual classifications and the excellence of the Latin ballplayers, they have no equal.

It is all about statistics and numbers, which have nothing to do with the race, ideology, or Sheffield’s personal theory either, but with a sport which is exclusively guided by the performance of each player in the field, which is permanently and systematically controlled by them.

Currently, 28.7 per cent of Latin players in the Majors, compared to 8.5 per cent of African-American, relies in the fact that the former identify more than anybody else with Baseball, which they practise in their places of origin.

The African-American, who after being considered equals and breaking the barriers of racism with Jackie Robinson’s arrival to the Major League, they have been deprived from their “dream”.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hmm.....here we go again!

These arguments are inherently flawed. One would have to study in-depth the history of "Blackball", that is to say the so-called "negro Leagues" which featured MANY Black Cuban and Puerto Rican ballplayers.

The reality is that for years these Black "latins" were EXCLUDED from the major AND minor league systems in the united states. This started to change after Jackie Robinson AND Larry Doby "integrated" the major league system but while african-"americans" began to be signed in larger numbers, black "latinos" still were excluded. This started to change in the 50's and the 60's saw the emergence of players such as Roberto Clemente and Juan Marichal.

"Latinos" actually integrated the major leagues during the 30s, and this continued until WWII. But "Black" latinos were still excluded, many were forced to play in the Mexican league, and were routinely discriminated against worst that African-"americans".

What actully happened is that in the 70s youth baseball programs lost interest and sponsorship. More programs started focusing on basketball and flag football (park leagues) and Black youth, in general, lost interest in baseball, and baseball, which was once the "Black national pasttime" took a secondary position.

College recruiters in turn stopped scouting and offering scholarships to Black athletes in inner-city schools (baseball players), and focused more on recruiting white boys from suburban schools, and a few black athletes who played for these teams.

For example, study the Dogers organization. In the 70s they systematically got rid of their African-"american" players such as Willie Crawford, Reggie Allen, and Willie Davis, and brought in younger white players. Then there is the more recent trend towards recruiting "latinos" AFTER the systematic replacement of Blacks with white boys.

By grandfatehr played in the negro league, the Dodgers farm system and I have 2 uncles who played with major league teams in the 70s. My friends and I who played mostly baseball and were brought up playing baseball as a FAMILY TRADITION started to break that tradition in the 70s, and focused on basketball instead.

"Streetball" became more popular as a result with such legendary players usch as Fly Williams and Helicopter Herman. And, of course, with the emergence of Magic Johnson (1979) and Michael Jordin, later, the number of youth basketball programs multiplied, while youth baseball programs declined rapidly.

The funny thing is that Gary Sheffield is speaking at least partially from his experience with the Dodgers. However, he should know from his own experience that former Dodgers such as Eric Davis have been trying to re-new interest in baseball among inner-city Black youth, but there is not only a lack of interest, but virtually no support, despite an increased number of BLACK MANAGERS and COACHES in the MAJOR leagues.

This article provides some early background.
    http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-230097/Latin-Americans-in-Major-League-Baseball

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Venezuelan teammate of Sheffield agreed with Sheffields statements. He also said many latin players including himself are scared to talk because they fear they will lose their contracts. Sheffield has opended up chance for dialogue.

4. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Keep in mind a Venezuelan player would have a different perspective than and African-"american" from the inner-city.

On Wednesday, Dave Windfield was interviewed on ESPN and disagreed with Sheffield's statements.

So, this is an issue which shall serve to expose yet another difference of opinion concerning what is happening with our youth.

Peace...

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Dave winfield is attempting to bring the sport to the cuty, also he has started an initiative to bring baseball to Ghana.

I don't know of thats why there are more latrin players in the league, but I think the latin player agreed that the league tries to control them cuz they don't speak english.

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    I hear you brother Therious.

One thing I want to share here is a list of numerous foundations created by former major leaguers, Black players in particular.

http://www.sportandentertainment.com/sportsfoundationsautoracing.html

In essence, the lesser the number of Black baseball players, the lesser the number of youth sports foundations are being established, resulting in fewer sports programs, especially in the inner-city.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    thanks ill peep this. I would like to see more former players create their own player/black owned farm systems. Places like central/sputh america, africa, and asia are gold mines for raw talent. as well as inner city and suburban america. a continental basketball or baseball league would be highly licrative in my opinion.

8. Agent_Jack

Agent_Jack Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the gist of Sheff's statement has moreso to do with control due to the circumstances of Latino palyers as opposed to Black players, moreso than ethinicity and culture. Just my humble opinion.