Black Sports : Larry Brown and Phil Jackson

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Sweet baby_face, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Sweet baby_face

Sweet baby_face Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student by day, Poet by night
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm pretty sure that we are well aware
    Larry Brown is the coach of the New York Knicks
    that went 34 and 48 last year (I think.correct me if
    I'm wrong).
    And on the other side of the country, Phil Jackson is the coach
    of the Los Angeles Lakers that was 33 and 49, a franchise
    that didn't make the playoffs since the 1993-94 season.

Now, the question is that both coaches aren't coaching dream teams,
    which coach will get their respected team to the playoffs first?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    New York is starting to come around lastnight it
    was a great game between the two as L.A came out
    on top Larry Brown is a nice coach but it show he wasn't
    the core of a team as the Pistons are undefeated now without
    him in the drivers set , and we all know Phil Jackson had great
    teams to give him the record the old Bulls M.Jordan era is the
    reason he had done so well and the Shaq / Kobe era but now
    he have to show his skills .........I say the Lakers will get there first
    both teams may make the final spot but the Lakers will have a better
    record going in.

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I think they will both reach the playoffs this season. I belive the knicks have a better chance of being a contender in the future. NY has some great young players, size which they have not had in ages, and depth which is most important in playoff basketball. Kobe Bryant is the best player in basketball.The lakers are young as well, as long as you have bryant, you have a chance.

4. Sweet baby_face

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm kinda iffy about the Lakers because it seems like when u watch Kobe is playing and the 9 other players are watching him. WEll, let's see if this triangle offense really works since he ain't got Shaq,Jordan,and Pippen playing. I'm starting to get the feeling that Phil is trying to create the new look Bulls in L.A.(that Scottie-Jordan magic with Kobe and Lamar Odom) since he got almost all his old players from the Bulls in L.A.

Now, with Larry, u get what u want u want. He got his dream job in New York with a situation he is familiar with: rebuilding a team that got a bunch of undiscipline underachievers. IMPO, he seem so uncomfortable in Detroit with ready-set team that has an identity. All, he had to do was to do the Phil Jackson: let the team play.

But, Larry will get his to the playoffs first.
    Phil's team would have to win about 46 games to get 8th seed and Larry would only have to win about 43.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Not sure sweet baby_face the Knicks may win 40 to 41 this season
    but i believe the Lakers will get in first but they both will get there but
    who will advance the first round ??

6. Sweet baby_face

Ratings:
    +7
    Good question.
    Let me think about that.

7. Sweet baby_face

Ratings:
    +7
    @ $$RICH$$

Probably Larry (if he stays there long enough).
    Folks is struggle ling in that triangle offense.

Now, who is the better coach: Larry or Phil?

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I like Phil better as a coach. Jackson won 3 titles in the CBA before becoming an assistant under Doug Collins. He also took the Bulls to a championship just 2 years after Collins left (using the same team Collins had). It was Phil Jackson who convinced Michael Jordan to let his teammates become involved in the game (a key to the Bulls winning 6 NBA championships). He also almost took the Bulls to the NBA finals without Jordan in 1994. Not to mention Jackson has won 3 straight titles with 2 different NBA teams, which no other coach in basketball can claim. Larry Brown can not claim any of this. He has only won 1 NBA title in almost 20 years, and can be a distraction for his players as much as a motivation (with his constant complaining and moving from team to team).

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sweet Baby Face, I don't know which of these coaches will get their teams to the playoffs first, but I know that, ultimately, the Knicks will be the better-coached ballclub in due time... Once they get Larry Brown's methodology down, they will win, and win big...

Now, two things I want to touch on as regards Larry Brown's short tenure with the Knicks... He is presently coaching a very young team, and the draft choices are getting mad playing time, and doing pretty well learining the Brown method of playing the game... Patience with this group, along with a few right moves(get KEVIN GARNETT in here!)will make the Knicks a power to be reckoned with in the near future. Secondly, if we look back with the Pistons, that group had it's troubles early with Brown, and did not begin to take off until the second half of the season a couple years ago.. The addition of Rasheed Wallace at the trade deadline, hellped shove them over the top...

Larry had major problems with Allen Iverson and Chauncey Billips, but look at what kind of players those guys became under his tutledge... They were talented guys doing their own thang, just like Stephon has been doing... Larry made them better players, and he will do same with Stephon and Jamaal Crawford, and the like... The rookies seem to GET IT, while these other guys are just slow learners, I guess... Give it time, Larry will mold a ballclub that will be ready to challenge in a few years, and for a few years...

As for Phil Jackson, he aint never been in this type of situation before... The Bulls were a playoff team under Doug Collins when he took over, and so were the Lakers... He had two superstars to work with in each situation, and all he needed to do was captain the ship... He's NEVER had to mold a ballclub from sour dough to sweet cakes... The jury is still out on whether he has the capacity to pull that off... That is not to say he cannot do it, because Phil is a good coach, regardless of what we think of the man, and his career...

Now, as for Pan and All-Time Destee's scorer, Rich, these Chicgo natives are just upset that the KNICKS 109 beat their lil baby Bulls 101, last night!(hardee-har-har!) Yeah, beat dey damned booties!(what, what, what!!!!!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Just hope the Knicks don't get the Bulls in the 1st round of the playoffs (if the Knicks make it at all), because if they do...the result will be like the Jordan days!