Black People : Largest Fast Food Workers Strike Hits Seven Cities Across US

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alarm Clock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]
    Thousands of fast food workers went on strike in branches across seven U.S. cities on Monday in what could be the largest strike of its kind in U.S. history.
    The workers are protesting unlivable wages and are calling for a nationwide living wage of $15 dollars an hour.
    "A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work," said Jonathan Westin, director of Fast Food Forward, who has been organizing fast-food workers in New York City.
    http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/07/29-4

2. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    ** UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT**
    (I mean, really. Virtually everyone on Destee.com is a 'textbook leftist', guaranteed to eat s... like this up. *laugh* I'm probably the only conservative - Libertarian...the best kind of conservative - in here! So ... yeah - I already know that this opinion won't go over well.)

Shall we begin?
    *laugh*

A fast-food worker strike? *smirk* Oh, yeah - that's a good idea.
    ...it's all fun and games until McDonald's starts selling $9 Big Macs.
    (Microeconomics 101)

Unless you live in a rural area, $15 per hour is hardly what I'd call a liveable wage. Of course, it's somewhat subjective but you can't even get a decent apartment earning
    $15/hour...and I live in Texas.
    (Personal Finance 101)

If you want real money, learn REAL skills. No one but run-of-the-mill trust funders get anywhere in life by doing the bare minimum...and even that's debatable.
    (Common Sense 101)

Demonstrating. This can be expected from a bunch of disaffected college kids. Wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of college kid McDonald's workers put the long-term McDonald's workers up to this. *smirk*
    A little time, maturity and their first corp job is sure cool them off.
    *laugh*

No matter. These people are either 'high' or delusional if they believe they deserve more to flip burgers. In fact, if I were the manager, I wouldn't fire them...but this would be as good a time as any for a 'random urinalysis'....

We have skilled craftsman who don't even earn $15/hour. We have people with degrees (new grads, hopefully) who don't even earn $15/hour!
    Are you kidding me?
    I'll tell you who deserves $15/hour and more? A CNA! Certified Nurse Assistants. I was an aide during nursing school. It taught me humility. They break their backs taking care of our elders with ridiculous pt/staff ratios -- the eyes and ears of a nurse -- and it's a crying shame what they're paid in most nursing homes!
    When nurse's take to the line, it's done to publicly shame the healthcare facilities (and politicians like Schwarzenegger who was decidedly against staffing ratios) into correct behavior. That's why many states (like California and others) have changed or amended their laws.
    ...because my sisters (and brothers) took to the media to blast local hospitals. Got on the line to fight their a..ses. Patient advocates to the end.

Hopefully, there will come a time when we're able to take care of our own (which includes our nurse aides).
    My coworkers and I waived our raises in order for the aides to have $1.50 raises.
    No problem.
    I mean- come on. I'm going to level with you, here.
    I'm a weekend charge at an LTC. (I work weekends only at the nursing home and get ft pay, basically).
    The nurse aides now earn $10.5/hour. The pay for nurses does vary depending on type (rn or lvn), experience level and time. New LVNs are offered $20/hour to start. New RNs rec'v $23/hour to start.
    I earn $37/hour. I'm still a young nurse in terms of years, at about 11 years. However, I can top out in this facility because I'm military trained, crit-care/trauma/behavioral health experienced...and I'm 'family'.
    Good old nepotism!

Sure, I'll get on the floor with the aides. Most of the time, though? I just supervise and do my skin assessments/wound care. I'm usually just up doing rounds and walking around since the LVNs are always too busy for that.
    They could do my job. *shrug* In long term care, there's no difference between an RN and LVN. They don't need me there. I just have to be, says the Board of Nursing.

But, yeah... the LVNs do most of the work and the CNAs do the bulk of the grunt work.
    So, no - I didn't have a problem waiving my raise. No one did. Why would we? There's enough in that pot for all of us.

...since when could they ever?

Yet, the average worker chooses to remain an 'average worker'.

... by choice.
    *shrug*

If these workers are insulted? They should be.
    Fast-food jobs are for high-school and college students, typically. Transitional work. It's supplemental income at best. That's why it's unsuitable for adults...with FAMILIES.
    (duh)

The budget that the Mcdonald's corp passed down? Well - someone had to outline a budget to bring the point home to these people...and watch it backfire. Instead of doing something about it, these people decide to picket! Ridiculous.

I'm not stingy with money and hell...even if I were, it's MY money. How the hell can I be greedy with MY earnings? You know that there are people right now who'd call some people 'greedy' because they don't want to give half of THEIR income away to them? Ever notice that everyone's entitled to enjoy their money...'cept those who earn lots of it?
    Yeah...but 'money doesn't buy happiness', says everyone that doesn't have any.

*laugh*

So, no issue with helping out. I just have a problem with people who don't apply themselves and expect everyone else to just 'give' them everything.

No, I really don't have to go anywhere in anyone's shoes. Life is about choices. When you don't apply yourself - when you don't do all that you can to self-improve - you can't expect a whole lot out of life. The 'breaks' typically go to those who understand the art of positioning.

The fast food worker on the line obviously don't understand these things. That's why they're poor.

Get mad at me for saying it. *shrug*
    Ya'll know it's true.

... and you'd have to be the greatest gullible fool ever to believe that CEOs and their managers would do anything more than pass the cost on down to consumers...which is a problem because, (inflation notwithstanding), the average joe isn't about to pay $11 for an extra value meal.
    Most within the public wouldn't agree with paying fast-food workers more than they earn now, to begin with.

I'd likely do the same that a fast-food worker higher up would do so I can't judge.

I'd compromise, however.
    "A dollar more, it is." Why WOULD I pay a fast-food worker more? These people don't do work that brings value to society and, as a fast food franchisee, it's little more than a money-making venture for me. I'm sure it's that way for all who aren't workers.

In my Great Compromise, workers must be willing to improve their condition to see the financial rewards increase.
    Tuition reimbursement with covered childcare, for instance. Absolutely.
    (Transcripts WILL be reviewed every semester.)
    ...but no - I'm not paying some unskilled high-school dropout $15/hour to 'show up' and serve up reheated warm meat patties.

Wages are directly proportional to experience, education, prestige and the time/cost it would take to replace the worker, among other factors.

'Consuela', 'Amber' and 'Laquanisha' can not like my 'Compromise'.
    ...and their a..ses can feel free to quit, too.

There's a high-school across the street and another located 1.3 miles away ....

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    :SuN034:pay them!

4. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    This would be interesting except hardly any of it is true. First of all I'll start with these facts.

Productivity has continued to rise in America, while worker pay has stagnated.
    http://stateofworkingamerica.org/m/...an-income-productivity-growth-47-11.png&w=640

The wealth of the top earners has exploded at the same time as worker pay has stagnated. Workers have not gotten a share of the profit even though productivity is up.
    http://static7.businessinsider.com/image/4bbcaeb47f8b9a812b5a0100/wealth-and-inequality.gif

It's a fact that, around the world, minimum wage increases have had no effect (overall) on employment, there's growing evidence for this assessment.
    http://www.economist.com/news/unite...ty-increase-minimum-wage-trickle-up-economics

Data showing that the effect of the minimum wage on employment may actually be slightly positive.
    http://www.nber.org/papers/w4742

Among the wealthiest nations our minimum wage is low by comparison. Many other nations are able to pay far more in minimum wage despite being having less purchasing power than we do. I might add that most of these countries are doing fairly well during this recession.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_law
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

All you would have to do is add $0.17 cents to the dollar menu and $0.68 cents to the price of a Big Mac in order to DOUBLE the minimum wage for McDonalds employees. Therefore, your numbers, no doubt pulled out of your arse, don't even come close to reality.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...utm_hp_ref=business&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

And the fact is, not everyone can be a "skilled craftsman" or a corporate CEO or Wall-Street trader. Eventually someone's going to have to work lower wage, lower skilled jobs. And actually having a higher skill level actually does damage to some jobs.

Microeconomics 101: You don't have an economy if you don't have people working and bringing home enough income. And they're not doing so because they're lazy. Most Americans have multiple jobs.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364&page=1

Not only do Americans work more than anyone else, but they take less vacations as well. So the idea that there's some huge group of people who aren't working hard in America is blatantly false. All workers across the board need higher pay. This includes nurses, construction workers, and low skill, low pay jobs. Costco manages to pay its employees well and crush the competition. They blow Wal-Mart's Sam's Club out of the water.

It's also interesting that you mentioned "nepotism" and that you're "military trained". The irony in that is mind-boggling.

5. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
  6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398

perhaps better names for the libertarian/conned-servative partes could be the party of hate,evil,and greed lol...

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Good for them, I do not see how any body could work those jobs for minimum wage,I worked fast food when I was a teenager, I lasted less than a month lol, it is more difficult than most jobs. I vowed to never again work that hard of a job for that low of a wage,then again I will only work for me these days the harder I work the more I earn, to helll with a wage!

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    If I earned $15 an hour when I lived in Texas that was more than the $90 per day I earned as a substitute teacher in Frisco ISD and that would have been a liveable wage. Mortgage was only $430 per month but the property taxes is what killed me (combined with insurance rates as high as those in CA),

$2400 per mo. base is not bad and above the poverty line for most.

9. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Yeah...they did it here last time, but it wasn't all over. But there are other sides to this issue that places the blame at the foot of the worker. I worked at micky D's back in the day, and I knew then that I wouldn't be able to live like I do working fries. So why spend decades doing it? The other issue is them getting paid the same amount for unskilled labor, that a skilled worker gets. There is a moral issue here, where a person puts the work and time in to educate themselves in a skilled trade, but make they same as a person who has not done the same.

peace!

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Looking at the effort and work you put into your trade, do you think a person working a "stepping stone" job should be paid what you were paid? Where is the incentive to climb the ladder if you can make the same money by flipping burgers?

peace!