Black Entertainment : Laren Bacall died yesterday; this is why I always liked her....

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Kadijah, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Apr 7, 2013
    Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
    The actress, who died yesterday at age 89, offered a powerful and uniquely candid portrait of her life in her autobiography By Myself

A powerful and uniquely candid portrayal of her husband and marriage. In short, she canned the b.s. and gave it to us honest.

RIP, Lauren.
  2. writer33

writer33 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Mar 3, 2014
    I agree. From a post I made on Facebook today:

Here is one of them....

The death of movie icon Lauren Bacall is particularly noteworthy to me because I was kid growing up during the heyday of Hollywood in the 1940's and 50's.

When I was in high school in the 50's, I think I was grabbing a snack in the kitchen when I heard my wonderful stepmother exclaim, "Now HERE is a handsome woman!"

She had a magazine in her hands, I think it was Time. It was a feature on Bacall. But I still had to ask her what she meant by a "handsome" woman? What the heck is that? My stepmom replied it is a woman whose inner beauty and depth of character shines outwardly from within her. Her beauty is far more than just "skin-deep."

Clearly, as so many have observed, Lauren Bacall was the embodiment of "cool." Class. Intelligence. Inner strength. From her many movies with tough-guy husband Humphrey Bogart, she had that "look." There was a magnetism to it, and it surrounded her.

Not many women have this. I think of Elizabeth Taylor. Yes, incredibly beautiful. But little substance. Or Marilyn Monroe. Very sexy. But little substance. Hollywood glamor, glitter without grit.

Bacall had it all. I loved a piece I just read where Bogart once described her: "Steel, with curves!"

A couple of others also come to mind having the qualities of a beautiful, and yes, handsome woman. I think of Barbara Stanwyck in her role as the matriarch on TV's "The Big Valley." And more recently I most certainly must mention Felicia Rashad, as Bill Cosby's TV wife. She, too, has this rare quality of beauty, intelligence and coolness about her.

RIP Lauren Bacall. You were in a class by yourself.....

(Note: I had photos of her from her younger to later year, but not sure I can post them here)