Black Sports : Lamon Brewster vs Andrew Golota, Saturday for the WBO Heavyweight Title!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, May 20, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Boxing Fans check this one out, also catch the replay of Winky Wright vs. Felix Trinidad.

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey pan, didn't andrew Golata join K-1 Kickboxing, now he's back in regular boxing. Hey, I also wanted to ask you, what is the difference between the IBF, WBC, WBO and all those other boxing orginizations? Why isn't there just one belt in each division?

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    To my knowledge, Andrew Golota has never fought k-1, I think you are confusing him with Frans Botha. To answer your question about the various boxing organization: The WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO are different world champion sanctioning bodies. There use to be 1 world championship, but that hasn't been the case for decades. The 1st world title organization was the WBA (World Boxing Association). The WBC (World Boxing Council) was formed around the late 1960s. The IBF was created in the early 1980s. This organization was not recognized as legitimate until Larry Holmes dropped his WBC belt in favor of the IBF belt in 1983. The WBO (World Boxing Organization) is the most recent of these sanctioning bodies, created in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Like the IBF, the WBO has struggled with legitimacy. However because of the level of fighters representing it: Diego Corrales, Zab Judah, Bernard Hopkins, Oscar DeLa Hoya, Vitali Klitschko, etc. It has not gained recognition as a legitimate world title. Ironically there has been a lot of talk recently about having only 1 champion. Ring Magazine awards belts to 1 fighter in every division, who is recognized as the best. The Ring Belt is gaining more recognition from boxing journalist & fans. Also there has been an increase in unification fights in recent years (which means that fighters who hold one of the 4 major world titles fight each other for the belts).

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    http://www.fightnews.com

This was the most impressive win of Lamon Brewsters Career tonight! Both Chris Byrd & John Ruiz struggled with Golota, but my man Lamon completely blew him away. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew doesn't get a 4th title try against Klitschko though...white heavyweights seem to always get title shots, whether they deserve them or not.

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Mannnnnnnnnnn, I saw the fight last night. Lamon came out of the corner like the Tyson of ol'. He started throwing those bombs and all Golota could do was duck trying to get out of the way. Lamon was dead serious. He came in to do some serious damage to Golota. Each swing had bad intentions written all over it. I didn't expect it to go down like that...not that I thought Golota was some great fighter and Lamon was some second rate fighter. But dang man...Golota couldn't take the pressure.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Lamon Brewster has been viewed as an underachiever in the last few years. He had talent & potential, but didn't live up to it. The majority of boxing experts and fans wrote Lamon Brewster off after his losses to Clifford Etienne & Charles Shufford (myself included). Lamon did beat Wlad Kitschko for the WBO title, but most people felt his victory had more to do with Klits running out of gas, than anything Brewster did. I have seen several Lamon Brewster fights, but never seen anything which indicated he could destroy Andrew Golota like he did last night. I was extremely impressed, if his new trainer can have him fighting all his fights like this, then he will be something to watch out for.