Black Women : Ladies...How should our daughters protect themselves

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by butterfly#1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Brother Skuder jaymes, I hope this is no conflict with your thread concerning boys.

Things are so different in society today. How are we teaching our daughters to defend themselves, when confronted with adverse conditions where physical fighting might be necessary for one's safety? What is the technique we should use or is using in this situation. I pray theres not many situations, but since bullying is so prevalent....and it seem that the teachers and parents are not being very effective. What should our dialogue be with our daughters?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    This needs to be moved to the Lady's Forum...

But I'll bite first...

You first need to teach your daughter self-control...verbally, mentally, spiritually and physically.

Put your daughter in a MMA class or self defense class...They teach a lot about self control and confidence...and how to protect yourself.

Tell her about the dangers out there...be real with her about it.

Give your daughter a pepper spray gun and show her how to properly use it..As she gets older she may need like a stun gun.

And the obvious not talking to strangers, run if someone strange tries to grab you, scream, kick, bite....

As far as Bullies at school...

Teach her how to pick and choose her battles...Is this worth arguing or fighting for?

And to be honest, I'm for teaching my child how to use a gun.

You have teach your child that it's okay to tell someone what's going on...

I try to instill trust and communication with my daughter so that way she is comfortable telling me when something is wrong and also other adults she trusts.

Teach her about consequences...

3. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Ok, thanks Ms Interpret for your assistance and advice. I really don't know my way around here good yet. How do I find the different forums? Is that just the 'forums' listing. I so want to post in the right places. Any and all assistance is welcome. Thanks again, for your response lady. I don't have young children myself. But, I have nieces and nephews and they do talk to me and I want ideas that I can share with their parents before talking to the children, if thats what the parents would prefer. They can't understand the closeness I share with their kids. I tell them, Im the hip one...lol. But their dads are my brothers (8) no sisters. so I think im like a novelty some what.

ps I'll see if Destee will move it for me.

4. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I know this is a ladies forum/thread ...
    If I am intruding, forgive me.
    Say the word. This post shall be removed

Everyone should learn self-defense.
    Conflict and emergencies happen.
    Some folks understand not discussion. For them, a knuckle sandwich is the language they speak.

Wing Chun is a great style for anyone particularly women.

Self-defense goes beyond just physical encompassing the mental and psychological as well.
    The mental and psychological can be more damaging and long lasting than the physical.
    Defend and mitigate against all threats whether corporeal or incorporeal.

5. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    The movie Ip Man tells some of the story of Wing Chun, that it was developed by a woman monk, for instance. Isn't it still part of China's national exercise or something of that nature?

Capoeira is nice too.

6. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    No, and thanks brother Shikamaura, for responding. After I posted, I realize I wanted the wisdom of the whole community. But,
    you cant change the title. I welcome everyone, because fathers should be guiding and advising their sons and daughters on how to be safe. I too think that self defense training is warranted. And Ive been surprised at how some parents think its too much for young girls.

7. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Yep. I believe her name was Ming Ng. I'd consult Wikipedia for the details though.

8. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    I like to send my girls out with spiritual protection in their jewerly as well as teaching them about the dark aspects of the goddess so they wont be a scapegoat or sacrifice. Physical protection is great as well I agree with the MMA suggestion!

9. butterfly#1

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    First let me welcome you back VirgoMistress and thanks for your response. Please expound on the spititual protection in your childrens jewelry' comment. Sounds interesting.

10. VirgoMistress

VirgoMistress Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24
    Why thank you butterfly#1!
    I first started out with their animal totem, getting them use to interacting and communicating with spirit on their own. My oldest daughter is 18 now and now she has a fae and unicorn that she owns. But these are basically spirits that I had binded into their jewerly, that they can take with them where ever they go.