Black People : LABOR DAY, an Oxymoron of Pain and Neglect

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ankhur, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    There is not much to celebrate this year, for the largest group of Americans, and the largest group of us,
    you know, the group nobody bothered to mention at either democratic or republican conventions in 2008,
    the Working Class.
    Back in the 60s the term of national prosperity was,
    "as goes General Motors, so goes the nation" as we saw Black folks benefit from battling to enter the AUW union, and create a middle class status for their offspring,
    we now see a bailed out GM, outsourcing to China, devastating Detroit even further.
    And after placing the architects of GATT and NAFTA, that sent millions of jobs overseas, at the helm of the economy,
    Larry Summers and Tim Geithner,
    this administration, has seen fit to appoint one of the nations major outsourcers, Jeff
    Immelt of GE, as the new Jobs Czar.
    Nationally unions are under attack at a time when workers need more protection from corporate greed and con-manship then ever before.

..... Not only are 25 million unemployed or underemployed, but American companies continue to cut wages and benefits. The median wage is still dropping, adjusted for inflation. High unemployment has given employers extra bargaining leverage to wring out wage concessions.
    .....All told, it’s been the worst decade for American workers in a century. According to Commerce Department data, private-sector wage gains over the last decade have even lagged behind wage gains during the decade of the Great Depression (4 percent over the last ten years, adjusted for inflation, versus 5 percent from 1929 to 1939).
    .....Big American corporations are making more money, and creating more jobs, outside the United States than in it. If corporations are people, as the Supreme Court’s twisted logic now insists, most of the big ones headquartered here are rapidly losing their American identity.
    ........CEO pay, meanwhile, has soared. The median value of salaries, bonuses and long-term incentive awards for CEOs at 350 big American companies surged 11 percent last year to $9.3 million (according to a study of proxy statements conducted for The Wall Street Journal by the management consultancy Hay Group.). Bonuses have surged 19.7 percent.
    .....The ratio of corporate profits to wages is now higher than at any time since just before the Great Depression.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/08/25-11?print

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Which all means to me that one has to learn and play the economic game differently in these United States.
    I first got these lessons when my father was laid off from the steel mills as a child.

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I can imagine how you feel, we live in a society of collcxtive progress for one group, but not for another,

by proselitizing Yurugu ideologies , of OPP, and "Me Myself and I" of assimilation

4. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Very true.
    Some groups practice collectivism for their benefit and advantage against all others.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Any hope in sight .........life in America

6. Charles IKS

Charles IKS Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +154
    Wow Brother Ankhur, you are sure on fire today!!!!

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Why folks always want to throw ice water on a good paid holiday?

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    so the best defense against that is to stay divided? and not be likewise collective?

what kind of strategy is that?

rugged individualism is a myth, that the pundits in the GOP, and Wall street, and war rooms don't even believe in or follow themselves, as you say

9. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    My personality is geared more towards individualism than collectivism.
    Individualism is my chosen moral philosophy.

Most collectives are only interested in you being subject to their rules by way of membership for purposes of control as well as your contributions to their asset pool and/or fisc.

There isn't a snowballs chance down under of my property being pledged to the pool either.

A collective must be countered by another collective.
    The favored form of the collective today is by far corporations.

If you are into collectives, then you need to study corporations.

Corporations aren't the only form, however. There are also partnerships, associations, benefit societies, etc.

Collectivism isn't a panacea for all ills, I might add.

This all being said, isn't it wonderful we all have freedom of choice, action, and association?

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    who are you trying to confuse and what in the world does this have tto do with what is said in the beggining of this thread?

And to be honest with all due respect there is not a union member in this or any other nation who could care what

your personal views are while corporations seek to dawg them abuse their rights and act like hungry pit bulls running wild off a leash