Black Entertainment : Kramer's remarks might have helped!

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Slowly, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Go see the CNN coverage of this. I especially liked the 'Sinbad' interview. He was there.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/22/sharpton.richard/index.html
    The thread where this started: http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45531

Just some fella ranting, He is on point!

Yes, I'm White, but the N-word offends me.

Al Sharpton, Sinbad, and members of the NAACP claim that Michael Richards' use of the N-word on stage last weekend offends THEM, and I can understand that. These gentlemen say that Mr. Richards' apology fell short, and I can understand that. They say that Mr. Richards must to more to atone for his use of the dreaded word, and I can understand that, as well.

But, you know what? When an African-America comedian uses the N-word, that offends ME.

When I hear the N-word in a rap lyric, that offends ME.

When I hear African-Americans refering to each other casually as n****r, as I did this morning on the Brooklyn-bound number 3 train, that offends ME.

I reminds me of my association with the word when I was growing up in a racist, blue collar town. It reminds me of the **** that I took from poor white trash every time I challenged their sorry N-word saying racist *****. It reminds me of the sacrifices that African Americans made during the civil rights movement, sacrifices that so many of today's African Americans take for granted, and worse, have NO respect for whatsoever.

African American comedians need to DO MORE to make amends.

Rappers need to DO MORE to make amends.

People how use the N-word in casual speech, be they Black, White, Brown, Yellow, or Green-skinned, need to DO MORE to make amends.

This word must GO! It must be RETIRED. It has NO USE for anyone anymore.

And if African Americans won't stop using the word, then they shouldn't be hypocrites. They shouldn't get upset when some outrageous Jewish comedian who's made a career out of personifying odd behavior utters a word that many of them use in their own speech every single day. It's either an acceptable word, or it's not. It makes no difference who SAYS it.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    your attempt to equate the incident with Kramer and blacks use of the word is a crock.
    you are blaming the victim which is the common tactic of racists and supremacist world wide.
    denial, denial. the first line of defense of the racist.

if you truly do not understand the dynamics of the word perhaps you should stop posting and go do your homework.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother James ... there's solid argument for both sides of this debate. It's not just necessarily, blaming the victim, in holding folk accountable for the words that come out of their mouth. It's not totally illogical, to expect folk to be offended all the time, and not just some of the time, if a situation offends them. Actually, i'd have to wonder how much it really bothered them, if it only bothered them when some folk said or did it. Ya know? In addition, legal precedents have been established, based solely on the fact that we use the word.

Now, this isn't to suggest that i think it's okay for them to use it.

Just presenting some support for Brother Slowly's thread.

:heart:

Destee

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I feel this incident should serve as an eye-opener (to those of us who use of the "N" word).... from the outside looking in; in a worst case scenario. Do we need a dose of our own medicine in order to recognize and cease self-defeating behaviors? While Kramer may be an outright racist & downright WRONG; I feel it was only a matter of time before a celeb would come out the woodwork and spew something disrespectful of that magnitude, especially since we glorify the derivative of the word: N-I-G-G-A. I actually witness Black folks on so-called Black message boards insulting each other using epithets such as "N-I-G-G-E-R" & "C-O-O-N"; all kinds of slurs that they know will "hit home". Romanticizing racial slurs does nothing for us, except give other race the green light to disrespect.

Peace

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i could be wrong, but i don't think brother slowly actually said this stuff.

6. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Let get it outlawed!

Brother James, did you follow the link to CNN? there was about four or five prominent black people ready to give Richards a hard time. Sinbad, as well as myself thought his apology(with audience laughter) fell way short of the mark. He needs to find those people he did it to and talk to them personaly. He need to find a large black audience, with no police around and talk to them. Al Sharpton is also in on the act.
    The reason I said that white guy was on point is because I was trying to remember the racial slur we(I) used to put down white people. I couldn't remember the word. To me, ******* is not a put down because I don't see the logic in it. Most of the ******** I eat are dark brown. I actually kicked this around in my head for about six months. White boy wasn't it, ******* wasn't it, and neither was 'white M.F." Then a friend was telling me a joke and in the joke referred to the white person in the joke as H@~KY. That was the word,h@~ky. I haven't used or needed the word in so long that I forgot it. When I get pissed off at something a white person does, that word does not come to mind. The worst thing I've called a white person in about eight years is 'white M.F., and I don't think thats a racial slur, more of a description.
    Now, we might have a platform, Thanks to Richards, to get the N-word outlawed. There are some powerful black people out there now who can help. Like the white person said, anybody who uses it is offensive, black or white.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    why..............?

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    to equate all uses of the word as the same is wrong.
    will you ban the last poets along with richards?

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    All Uses Are Wrong!!!!!

It is a hateful slave term. Those that use it, either identify themselves or someone else with a slave. It's past time we associate anyone that uses that term with stupidity :playball: :bowl: :pool: :darts:

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the last poets? baraka?