Black People : Kobe's Crying Shame

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Mar 29, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I remember Malcolm X stated during a television interview (The hate that hate produced) in the early 60s, that only in the black community are actors, musicians, and athletes considered "leaders". Michael Jordan is a leader, since when? Why will Kobe's situation affect the NBA's advertising? They are trying to make money, not establish the mores of the country. Until the trial is over, it is wrong to assume he is guilty (which the author of this piece is suggesting) Oprah & Stedman's relationship is certainly not influental on my life, and only a fool bases their morals on Hollywood. In addition an increasing amount of teachers, fireman, and police are being arrested for child abuse, spousal abuse, and various other crimes. No position automatically qualifies a person to be a "rolemodel", and everyone make mistakes.

*more on this later, I'm in a hurry*

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think that the author was saying that he is in fact quilty.
    I think that she was talking about who we should be; and who some of us are, etc...

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For some reason I can't bring up the article, so I can't give a specific quote. But by questioning the defense's tactics, the author is giving doubt to their case. I do understand the author's overall point, but it was poorly argued & reasoned. Athletes, Movie Stars, and Musicians are entertainers not leaders. That we look to them for moral guidance is a poor reflection on us, not them. Moral guidance comes from the home, and if it is lacking there, the "slack" won't be taking up from watching TV. Brothers are not dating white women because Kobe is. They aren't cheating because Jordan dipped out on Juanita. Nor are black folk "shacking up" because Oprah is. Young sistas are not dressing like hoochies because men want them to. More than likely they are doing it because their sister, friend, or even mother dresses like that (or at least their mother didn't tell them why they shouldn't). I don't see the purpose of blaming others for the problems in our houses. The responsibilty this author wants celebs to take in truth begins at the home. In actuality the reason these people behave as they do, is because they missed the home training they should have gotten.