Black Sports : Kobe makes records wilt

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jan 23, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060123

2. brother Malik

brother Malik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Data Analyst (software)
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unbelievable. It's good for the game.

Malik

3. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Man I just heard about this
    Kobe is still dynamite for real
    The Kid is explosive
    Who in the game right now is better
    I can think of one...

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Kobe is the most talent player and most prolific scorer since Michael Jordan, hands down. If he continues to develop, and recapture the championship sucess of his earlier years. They might be referring to Kobe Bryant as the GOAT for years to come.

5. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes true Pan
    Yet the rest of the lakers are so hprrible
    I think they will still need two years
    Two get this team where they use to be
    Maybe they can get Ron Artest
    I would like to see that

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    It's obvious Kobe is going for an MVP award but at whose expense. I guess Phil had to throw out the Triangle offense and I wonder how long Lamar Odom will be content with rebounding and being an offensive decoy. Don't think the Lakers will get far if they even make the playoffs. Other western conference teams are more balanced. What do the Lakers have to show for the Shaq trade. Nothing except for a happy gunner who is making his mark shooting over 60 field goals while his teammates are reduced to spectators and cheerleaders..

So much for the concept of team offense...

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Yet, the Lakers are still only 3 games over .500, so what's so good about one player averaging 35 pts per game if the team is crappy? I'd much rather celebrate the Pistons who have much more depth and team work, rather than seeing the Kobe Bryant shooting show. That's not basketball. Kobe is the most talented scorer in the game, but let's be realistic about it, he took 46 shots and Smush Parker was second in attempts with 11. If T-Mac, Lebron or A.I. concentrated on only scoring and ignored their teammates, I think they could probably pull off a 70-80 pt night also, but what would that prove?

Tantrum, Ron Artest is not going to sit back and watch the "Kobe Show" like Lamar Odom and Smush Parker are forced to do. He was already complaining about not getting enough shots while on Indiana, so don't hold you breath. He'll end up killing Kobe.

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

In the case of LeBron James it probably would prove he is actually a better scorer than Kobe, but not sure if it would improve his Efficiency Rating which is currently higher than Kobe's..

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Very true, Lebron is better because he's more all around instead of just a scorer. The same way Magic Johnson is better than Michael Jordan, because he an all around better player. I think Lebron would do himself an injustice if he started trying to mirror what Kobe is doing. Plus, Lebron (50% fg) shoots a way better % than Kobe (44% or so) does. Kobe has made up his mind that he just wants to break scoring records and come as close to Michael Jordan as he can (scoring-wise). He's willing to ignore his team in order to do it. The rest of the Lakers may not be as talented as Kobe, but you still have to use your team. Everyone complains that they suck and they can't hit shots, but Charles Barkley said it best when he made the point that they can't make shots down the stretch because they aren't used to getting the ball. Kobe didn't always hit clutch shots. Remember when he air-balled three shots in a row a few years ago and blew the game? Remember the other day against Sacramento when he took it upon himself to try and single-handedly win the game, and took about 5-6 terrible shots instead of passing and they lost in OT? He's surrounded by young guys that are in that same stage as he was years ago when he wasn't being talked about as MVP or the best player, but now he doesn't understand that it takes time to develop since he's already where he wants to be experience-wise. Kobe is in no way the best player, and what he's doing is only admirable if you're really not a big basketball fan. It looks good on the surface and in the news, but seeing 4 other guys just throw the ball to Kobe for an entire game so he can break an individual record is just sad. To see Kobe opt to score 81 instead of trying to get at least one other player to the 20 pt mark is just sad. Seeing people clap because he took 46 shots out of the entire teams 88 attempts is just sad. And seeing young players mimic his style of play in the future while ignoring their team is going to be equally as sad. This is in no way good for basketball.

10. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

With under 16,000 career points Kobe still has a ways to go. Let's look at those at the top of the all-time scoring lead....Kareem, Malone, Jordan, Wilt...many of their points were earned in the playoffs and Championship series...they also played with other perennial All Stars and scoring or rebounding, or assist leaders...Kobe is in no such situation and most likely will not find imself in that situation because how can the Lakers build a Championship team under salary cap??

I grew up a Laker and UCLA fan, developing a true respect for team play and can't stand watching the present version of "Showtime" which is a one-man side show..Kareem made it to the top of the all time lead and think of all the great players, including Hall of Famers who he played with....Kobe will go down as one of the games' greatest players of this era...but I doubt if he will even go on record as the Greatest Laker of All Time let alone the G.O.A.T. of the NBA..not with a 45% field goal percentage...