Black Spirituality Religion : Knowledge or Belief

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ralfa'il, May 4, 2005.

1. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    A "pal" of mine told me that he doesn't BELIEVE anything...he only KNOWS things.

Where I grew up, I was always under the impression that belief in something was a prerequisit of knowing it.
    If you know it....then you automatically believe it by default.

But perhaps I may be wrong about this so I figured I'd gather a few outside opinons on the matter.

What say you...

Can a person possibly know something without believing it?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    That's a good question. To me, a belief is based on something I was told without having concrete evidence, like a superstition. Knowledge is based on fact, and can be proven without a shadow of a doubt

3. IssaEl21

IssaEl21 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Knowledge or Belief

If You're Speaking About RELIGION , Belief Is Igniorance If One Have To Believe Then He Or She Doesn't KNOW ONLY BELIEVE / BELIEF / Faith And That Sad . Because If I Can Get You To Believe / Belief / Faith , I Can Get You To Do Most Anything . < And This Is The Real Deal >

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Something I can agree with.

5. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I agree as well.

6. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    Belief in What ??

Hotep

Think Deeply about the questions for a moment: What exactly is Belief of any kind? Has your Belief changed lately? What do you really Belive? Who tought you your Belief? How much do you know about your Belief?
    Have you always Believe the same things? Do you Really Believe you are Free to Determin your Own Disteny? Do you Believe you Really Know or Don't know why you think you are or are not in control of your Disteny? Do you Believe you should be controled by the Open Enemy to your self and People? Do you Believe you Know your Real Self? Do you Believe the so-called White man cares one iota about you? Do you Believe you can Rise Above the condition of your people? Do you Believe you are a Afrikan or Black? Do you Believe you are one of those who has transinded all racial boundries, and Believe in the Commonality of Man? Do you Believe White Ice is colder than Black Ice? And finaly Do You Believe The Lies you have been telling yourself??

Ase`

7. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    No no no....

You guys are missing the point.

I'm not looking for definitions of knowledge and belief...

I'm asking how can you KNOW something without also believe in it?

Does it make sense to say "I know this and that, but I don't believe it"

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    One cannot say that they do one thing and/or another, without having a proper definition of it.

First we must establish the definitions:

KNOW

BELIEVE

KNOWLEDGE

BELIEF

BELIEF is based on an emotional attachment.

I don't have to "BELIEVE" that the sky is blue and the grass is green.....Thus, I don't have to be emotionally attached to the fact that they are so; it doesn't make it any more of a reality, for me, or for the rest of the Universe.

They just are, whether I believe that the are or not.

They also just are, whether I KNOW they are or not.

That's the beauty behind knowledge; being the foundation for all things in exsistence, it's exsistence is not contingent upon my being in possession of it.

This mindset of looking for BELIEF is one of the obstacles that keep our people intellectually crippled.

9. Ralfa'il

Ratings:
    +16
    This is the definition you provided for BELIEVE:

be·lieve

verb

1. transitive verb accept as true: to accept that something is true or real
    I don’t know which story to believe.

2. transitive verb accept as truthful: to accept that somebody is telling the truth
    Nobody will believe you!

3. transitive verb credit with something: to accept that somebody or something has a particular quality or ability
    No one believed her capable of such a malicious remark.

4. intransitive verb think that something exists: to be of the opinion that something exists or is a reality, especially when there is no absolute proof of its existence or reality
    believe in reincarnation

5. intransitive verb trust: to be confident that somebody or something is good, or will be effective
    We all believe in you.

6. intransitive verb think something is good: to be of the opinion that something is right or beneficial, and, usually, to act in accordance with that belief
    believe strongly in freedom of expression

7. intransitive verb religion have religious faith: to have a religious belief

The first few definitions say belief is to accept something as true.

Now if you know something, doesn't that automatically mean you accept it as true and believe it?

Ofcourse you can't always KNOW what you believe...but you still have to believe what you know.

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Yes, a person can know something without believing it.

example: Many people know there are serial killers running about, but they don't believe that they will ever be a victim.