Amun-Ra : King of the Mountain

Amun-Ra

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
As children, we grew up playing “King of the Mountain." Usually we would find a pile of dirt or sand then race to see who would be first to make it to the summit. The rules of the game were simple: whoever reached the top first had to keep the others from taking his place at the top—thus, the name—”King of the Mountain”.

However, once on top the “king” had to be aware of all the other players who surrounded the mountain and were permitted to do anything, including talking, pushing, shoving, tripping, attacking in a group or any other trick or method they could come up with to get the “king” off the mountain.

Staying king of the mountain was difficult if not impossible. You could not watch everyone at once, plus there were no rules for the challengers’ behavior. They could come at you individually or break into teams. There was only one certainty in the game and that was no matter how you tried sooner or later you would fall or be pushed from the top and then you would be one of the ones on the bottom trying to get to the top.

In many ways “King of the Mountain” approximates the way we do things in our society, except in the beginning there are no clear cut rules just like “King of the Mountain." However, once the top has been achieved rules are developed by those on top and those trying to get to the top. The top is only for a select few, but since there are rules staying on top is even more difficult. The rules are always put in place to limit those who have taken advantage of a situation that leaves others without fair chance to become king once the hill has been captured.

But even for those who have reached the top in this world find that all you see from the top of the mountain are the tops of other mountains with others standing on top of them looking at other mountains still to climb. Basically, ascending the mountain lets you know that there is no satisfaction in the material world. No matter how much we get and achieve it will never be enough because there will always be one more thing to achieve and one more mountain to climb.

I can remember thinking upon graduating from college that if I could just command a salary of $10,000 per year that I would have it made. Well I have achieved that goal and a lot of others since then and I am no closer to be satisfied that I was when I achieved my first goal. There will always be another mountain to climb and another challenge to seek.

Enough will never be enough. Ask any salesperson and they will tell you that your reward for climbing the mountain, is a higher and tougher mountain the next year. As long as there are mountains to climb, men will climb them and as long as there is something to be gained men will venture.

It is only when we recognize that gaining the world brings no more satisfaction than a good meal, a warm place to sleep, a roof over our heads and good companions and family, that we begin to gain wisdom and understand the fruitlessness of chasing dreams of material things.

With this realization comes freedom to do the things that are truly important to you and the world. No longer are you a slave to market mentality, but rather you become a citizen of the world and denizen of life.

Ra

:heart:

Well you know I want to say "let the Church say AMEN!" So, I'll say it, "Let the Church Say AMEN!"

All that you have stated is so very true, and real in my life. However, I used to wonder what was wrong with me because I wasn't exactly what one would consider a "career" woman. My college education was something that was expected of me, rather than a personal goal that I was burning to achieve in order to make it in this life. And I found out along the way, that having a college degree allowed some important doors to open; but was in no means, the end of the line. If I wanted to command MORE money, I would have to seek higher degrees. OR, look into self employment, which requires so much more mental energy and personal organization.

I have been engaged in a family business, as well as working in private/government industries. Having this hybrid type of experience for the past 25 years, has given me the opportunity to see the best and worst of both worlds. But clearly, there is less creativity "required" (meaning independent thinking) when you are working FOR an establishment. You are to be part of the "group think", you must learn to play the "game"...deal heavily in the political structure if you want to "make it". I've left many an organization because I don't kiss behind. My salvation was and is, that my business continues to be operational and is a good buffer to fall back on.

There are many challenges in all that we do to make a living. But it is the fortunate person who has a dream and formulates a plan to work into a position to make money doing the thing that s/he loves.

All that you say about shelter, food, clothing, family, friends, is the bottom line, at the beginning and the end of the day.

a

Back on track

You are so lucky--because so many people are stuck in dead end jobs that they hate and only work at because they have to pay bills--you have passed along a great deal of wisdom here and I venture to agree "let the church say amen" because this is surely a piece of truth--I would that we all could see it so clearly then act upon it--because once we are free to make those decisions--we are free to do the things that count the most and those involve that bottom line we both mentioned--I'll call tomorrow--Ra

;)

Ra

I agree with everything you have stated...

we live in a world where most of us are always reaching to find "that" something else that will fulfill us, make us whole, complete our lives, etc...

I think the bottom line is inner peace and happiness..whether that be when you are sitting at the top of the mountain, or living at ground level....we need to do what makes us happy, gives us peace and strength, and soothes our soul...sometimes this means we have to go without some of the material possessions in life, but then if this is what makes us happy, then those things do not matter anyway...

we live in a world where we are conditioned to expect certain things from life, but we are constantly searching for the "right" thing..and in the hustle and bustle, many of us forget the simple things, the things that truly matter...

I often think I would love to have so many things that I haven't got..and then I stop and think of what I do have, and I realise it's enough..don't get me wrong, I'd still like to have the other things, but I don't need them to survive or to be happy...we need to think more positively..(the glass is half full-not half empty)...

money may make the world go round, but it cannot buy you the most important things in life...

K

U Said that!

I'mn with you all the way on this one--you have summed it all up so nicely--a little happiness is all we can hope for and when that chance comes about--we must take it--meanwhile, we do what is necessary to survive and pay the bills--a lovely piece of wisdom you have shared with us all--Ra

;)