Law Forum : Kindergartner Charged with Battery. Why Are We Criminalizing Kids?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Keita Kenyatta, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,383
    When a six-year-old boy kicked his school principal last week, the school called in police, not parents.

The student had already been suspended for kicking and biting another official, when he allegedly threatened a teacher and kicked Principal Pat Lumbley. This time, the child was placed in police custody and charged with battery and intimidation.

Read more: School's battery charges against 6-year-old
    "In the big picture ... I have to look at school safety and have to look at student safety," Lumbley, an Indiana elementary school administrator, told a local Fox affiliate. The county's police lieutenant defended the decision, adding "putting him into the system can open up avenues perhaps the parents don't have."

But can the penal system really help a trou

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/ki...battery-why-criminalizing-kids-175600847.html

2. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    There are some things that have been taken too far and this is one of 'em. But....this is also a behavorial problem and it needs to be checked.

I've seen this happened when my babies was going to elementary school. The school would just expel the child and tell the parent to take thier kid somewhere else.

These schools now are treating 6, 7, 8 yrs like they are teenagers in high school. Ready to call the po-po's if the child sneeze wrong... these times are so awful. I'm just glad the child didn't get hurt or the adult at that...

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    say what......u gotta be kidding me a baby charge with Intimidation on an adult wow......

this child didn't need police but some anger mangement and parents working on controlling
    the child charging a child as such only open doors to the future of jail.......sad time in america

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    This is what they do.. and if you know this is what they do, why would you give them that kind of time and influence with your child?

5. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    I am not surprised at all, after all we are talking about the same people who used our children as gator bait to catch Alligators for their skins. This falls more on the parents who failed to properly correct their children, therefore their enemies will do it for them as they see fit.

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    This is where jury nullification would shine, people.

The jury could refuse to find a 6 year old child guilty presuming juvenile court has a jury. I doubt it though.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    This is another sad story, but again, it's not the first we've heard of this.

Black Children being tried as adults is not new ... nor are adults being treated like children (permission to drive, etc.).

Obviously, white folk determine what we are ... if we're children or adults ... and they'll let us know in court.

On a case by case basis ... :look:

Thanks for Sharing!

:heart:

Destee