Black People : Killing the roots of soul music

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cocobutterskyn, Dec 19, 2006.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    May 25, 2001
    Sixburgh, Pa.
    +220 / -0
    When I think of soul music, I think of such artists as, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross and The Temptations. A few days ago, I was online searching for Christmas music by soul artists to download. I entered Soul music in the search field and was shocked to see what artists came up. The first artist, Justin Timberlake, second, Taylor Hicks. Though I was shocked, I can say I wasn’t surprised. Mostly because anything we do is mimicked, then stolen. My reason for starting this thread is to receive other thoughts on African-American music artists, producers, choreographers or what have you, taking white entertainers under their wings and personally influencing their success to the extent of erasing the history of soul music.

With the passing of soul music artists, regrouping of African-American music, such as “pop music, neo-soul” and what I mentioned above, are the roots of soul music being pulled up and replaced with foreign matter?

I hope this isn't a duplicated topic :)

madd sistahly love
  2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Mar 26, 2003
    it's not being pulled's just being taken over just like other previous music styles we created...

notice in all of these how we created them all but over the course of time the most popular artist in these genres of music, at some point and time, were white...

i can name some of the people from these genres that achieved ultimate popularity off of our backs...but i really don't think that it is necessary...

i hope this answered your question coco...

one love
  3. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Jun 23, 2006
    We've given it away

I am a long time lover of soul music, going back to the fifties when I was just a little boy. Black folks supported black music then, and a lot of the artist had to depend on the black audience for their success. When Motown came on to the scene, especially with the Supremes, Temptations and Four Tops, many black artist crossed over to the popular charts. White owned record companies then became interested and wooed away many of the artist that were recording for black owned labels. Motown is now actually owned by a white group of investors.

I don't have a problem with the new white stars that are coming up, per se. My problem lies with this generation of young blacks who have given their heritage away by not supporting it. As shameful as it may be, it might just be the white artist who will keep the music alive, although it is really an imitation of the real music that comes from the black experience. This slide has been going on for well over twenty years since the advent of "rap". Rap is in another category all together, it doesn't even require the same kinds of skills in terms of vocal talent and the ability to play a musical instrument, but it has replaced R&B in this country. Many artist go on to Europe and do well, but they don't do as well here, because we have neglected soul music, just as we have with the Blues and Jazz. I have children who graduated from college and don't have a clue what Jazz and/or the Blues is. They think that musical instruments are old fashioned. We are known all over the world for our unique music, but we, once again, have squandered our creations.

There was a book out about ten years ago, by a popular writer, who said that the record companies where abandoning the talented artist, for those with less talent, but with more commercial appeal (Rap). Their budgets are only so big, so someone has to go, it's usually the talented R&B artist. Soul singer Bobby Womack once said in an interview, that whites would claim to have created soul music, if we don't start teaching our kids their musical heritage/history. It would appear that people are getting tired on the "fluff" that is now parading around as music and new black singers, dancers, musicians are coming back in vogue again, Thank god.