Kids that won't eat this or that

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by sweetbrownsugar, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    "I don't like onions...they too spicy!"
    "Potatoes have EYES! I'm not eating them either!"
    "I'll eat the carrots that go in salad(raw) But not the cooked ones!"
    "Mommy what part of the animal does Pasagne(lasagne) come from???"
    "Mmm-Umph! Something sho' smells good! (put something on their plate) "I'm not eating that, it's got peas...!"

Drives Me Crazy! The lil' one be gagging trying to pretend he throwing up!(brrpp!) The oldest one(the grown one) claims he'll call CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES if I cook with ONIONS again! One day I'ma straight Crack-up: "Ooh Mommy! Something sho' smell good!"

I'ma put some stupid stuff on their plates...HOT WHEELS! LEGOS! and GI JOES! I give up!

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    kids do this i guess what we give them and there tase bud finding what they like
    and don't like most kids who get nearly anything from the time they start eating
    table food will most likely continue to eat this and that .....................................

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I feel your pain, some kids are just picky eaters. Although the best way to avoid this drama is to feed them everything (except for sweets & junk) when they are babies. My wife and I did that for our daughter, and she would rather have veggies than candy!

4. sweetbrownsugar

Ratings:
    +5
    Last year, I let family, doctors and friends tell me, "Oh, it's just a phase kids go through" I'm running out of patience for this "phase" to run it's course. Aside from my husband, I worry about them because they both are So, Skinny. At bathtime, they look malnourished to me. (Plus last year, between the two? I saw a lot of constipation/diarhea/stomach aches) They don't like a whole lot of junk either and that's the crazy part. (They still have most of all of their Halloween Candy that they barely touch). This year I said I will be CONSISTENT with new approaches. All last year I was firm about not cooking them separate meals from what my husband and I eat! I can clearly hear my own mom's voice as I was a little kid their age saying: "If you don't eat what I cooked...you will go to bed HUNGRY!" But I end up feeling sorry for them, fixing them a separate meal which usually are these "Banquet" frozen dinner meals. They love these! But let me cook the same thing????

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    If I may ask sweetbrownsugar, how old are your kids? If they are still young, try saving a frozen food container, and putting your food in it. I don't know if it would work, but it's worth a try!

6. sweetbrownsugar

Ratings:
    +5
    Pan, they are 5 (going on 35 I always say) and 8 (going on 38).
    You know, that's a good idea.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    [email protected]! I have a little one myself, so I definately identify with you. I hope my suggestion helps!

8. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Giving children a variety of foods from the time they are babies will work for many children, but not all, some will still be picky. As long as the doctor has thoroughly checked them out and they aren't anemic or anything like that, they will survive. I feel for you, mine were very picky eaters when they were young also( one still is, smh). Pan had a good suggestion, I hope it works for you.

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Be patient sister

Don't give up sister. Your doctor was right, your children are going through a phaze. Here are some keys to remember. Childrens taste buds are way more sensitive than ours because they still developing. Children also lose and grow teeth during early age so their mouth and gums are tender sometimes. What is important is that a child is getting proper nutrients. This is why it is good for children to eat vitamin fortified breakfast cereals. Here are some methods for getting your children to try and eat different foods.

1. Let your children watch or help you cook.

This works well especially with their favorite foods.

2. Cook your vegetables in low fat broths (chicken, beef, vegetables)

This adds favor without adding spice.

3. Give them small bite sized portions.

Small mouths and small teeth prefer small food.

4. Introduce fun new way to eat or present food.

Make food more like fun snacks instead of a meal sometimes.

Here's a fun food recipe that you can try and your children can help.

Hawiian Toast

1 loaf of King Hawiian Bread.

1 pks of sliced ham or turkey ham sandwich meat.

1 pks of delistyle swiss cheese or munster cheese.

1 can of sliced pineapples rings.

1 jar of cherrys in syrup.

1 pks of tooth picks (wooden, plastic, decorative, swords)

If not already sliced, slice the bread into 6-8 sandwich sized slices. Stack the ham on the bread then the pineapples and last the cheese covering the pineapple and the ham. Place in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 10-12mins. Remove from the oven and them cool for five minutes then cut into quartered squares. Place a cherry on top of each square with a tooth pick. Say your grace and dinner is served.

If you already know this recipes then good for you. This can also be tweaked or modified. The important thing is it's easy, your chidren can help and it's very little clean up involved. If they still don't like different varieties of food then just waiting they'll hit a growth spirt and will be eating you out of house and home before you know it.

Peace

Radical Faith

10. sweetbrownsugar

Ratings:
    +5
    Gee, thanks watzinaname for the advice & for the Recipe, RadicalFaith, those little sandwiches sound pretty cool. Everyonce in a while, on like a Friday my kids and I have Family Game Night...TROUBLE Popomatic, POKEMON MONOPOLY on which I will take a break from cooking something 4-square(Big). I'm going to have to try that. (fruits,bread,dairy& meat all in one!) And maybe a SALAD with the RAW carrots only, for the Veggies.