Black People : KIDS PIVKING THIER NAMES

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by naija-man, Mar 17, 2004.

1. naija-man

naija-man Well-Known Member MEMBER

STUDENT
    Ratings:
    +9
    SUPPOSING YOU GIVE THEM A NAME THAT THEY DON'T LIKE--SHOULD YOUR SON/DUAGHTER-BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE IT OR AT LEAST-PICK ANOTHER NAME AND PUT IT IN FRONT OF THEIROTHER NAME/S??
    WOULD U LET YOUR CHILD COOSE THEIR OWN NAME-
    WHEN WHEN YOU FEEL THIER OLD ENOUGH TOO.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Brother Naija-Man ... i'd "let" them do anything they want when they become an adult ... but prior to that ... they'd be stuck with the name they were given.

:heart:

Destee

3. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    My daughter would like to change her last name and I'm totally for it.

4. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have the family name, but i don't think i like it that much...i mean its okayyyy...but when i grow up ima probably change it...but my moms says that if i change it she would kill me...lol...i don't know....tell me what u think...
    :heart:
    -story

5. Sapphdia

Sapphdia Active Member MEMBER

Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends...

My real name is an arabic name. It is long and people have taken the machete to it all of my life, but when I was younger, I didn't really like my name. I just wanted a "normal" name that people wouldn't mess up or make fun of. But as I got older I loved my name. My name means beloved and I think it describes me perfectly. I would never change my name as it is a part of who I am and who my family is. If I had my way when I was young, I'd be Ericka instead of Beloved.

I firmly believe that people take on the characteristic of their name. Now, there are some out there that I would totally understand them wanting to change their name. There was a guy named Malice (pronounced Maleece) and he died an unfortunate death after having been on the other side of the law, so to speak. I know a girl who named her daughter Clitona. I'm not even going to comment. But you get my point. :mad:

I would never name my child something like that. The name that I choose for my child doesn't have to be difficult to understand or pronounce, but it will definitely have a positive meaning, so I definitely wouldn't allow MY child at any time, to change their name.

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Considering my daughter's father changed his entire name to DivineBorn Supreme Allah...I feel she is entitled to change her last name if she chooses. She feels a sense of disconnect with me and does not want the last name Allah. She would become Breyahna Monet

I'd be hurt if she wanted to change her first name as I love her name. But she will be a grown woman soon and can change it if she likes, whether I approve or not.