Black People : Kids Becoming Smarter? By Chewing Gum?????

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Da Street So'ja, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    This is America. This is America on Chewing Gum

How stupid is this. You either have it or you don't. There are no short cuts. To me nothing works better than studying hard. You practice basketball all day, then use that same mindset for learning. Practice those books.

Expert Offers Quirky Tips to Make Your Child Smarter

Oct. 14, 2006 — Helping your child perform better in school could be as easy as installing a blue light in their room or encouraging them to chew more gum, according to a new book.

Dr. Frank Lawlis, author of "The I.Q. Answer," says how you wake your child up each day could be the difference between success and failure. Waking them up with a blue light could increase your child's brain power.

"If you want to wake up your child in a very positive and energetic way, probably the best way to do that is just by exposing them to a blue light," Lawlis said. "If the eyes are exposed to this blue light, there is a stimulation in part of the brain and this happens even if your eyes are closed."

Lawlis also suggests children try alternate nostril breathing — breathing out one nostril then the other. The technique, he says, floods the brain with oxygen, which can improve test scores.

"It's almost natural, that when you're afraid, when you're facing a test, when you're facing a challenge, is to hold your breath," he said. "If you take 10 minutes or even five minutes, to teach the students how to breathe, it will help them study better, it will help them remember better, and it will help them perform 10 to 20 percent better on their tests."

Lawlis also cites chewing gum as another way for children to improve academic performance.

"You get a rhythm, so you have kind of have a dance going on inside your body with your jaw going back and forth," he said.

Although it may sound like every teacher's worst nightmare, associating lessons to a beat actually helps children retain information and also opens the area up for breathing.

"What we discovered is that if you breathe through the mouth, you really lose I.Q. points," Lawlis said. "You need to really breathe through the nose and create that kind of metabolism that makes the most sense to the rest of the body as well as to the brain. Chewing helps that."

But does it translate to the classroom? One teacher, Elisabeth Salerno, is in favor of trying.

Throughout history, people have come up with ideas that no one believed and they have proven to be correct," Salerno said. "If this blue light can make their lives any easier, by all means use it. Whatever works, whatever works."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/story?id=2563449&page=1

2. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    breathing through nostrils alternately? is that even possible?

I dont know what to make of it. I'm sure someone will try these things...but i think a healthy environment and good moral values that are not only taught, but excercised in the home, is enuff. We can't make genius robots out of children.

Mz.Soulll

3. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    I'm glad that some people can recognize :explode: when they see it. AmeriKKKans suffer from an enormous brain clog and the fact that they let this kind of crap go unchallenged in the media is proof of it!

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It sounds like a eurocentric high-tech version of some of the rituals we are encouraged to try in Afrocentric spiritual systems.

Since everything the white man comes up with is a distortion of our ancient knowledge we really don't need to look to their "experts" to come up with something new.

Is there any better time to be thinking about home schooling our children?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Is it natural to have to wear dentures because you lost all your teeth from chewing gum?

4 out of 5 dentists surveyed recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum. What did the dissenting dentist have to say?

These people are so ready to use our children as guinea pigs

7. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    Sugarless chewing gum contains aspartame and that stuff is making people blind and CRAZY!!!Plus, it is a contributive factor in CANCER CASES.:poop:

8. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    i think

i think you have to put your finger over............

um yea i'm starting to sound stupid

um can you spare a stick of gum

lololololololololol

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Double Dumb

The single most favorite double in the world is double good, double fresh, doublemint dumb

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Lose your teeth or lose your mind

So now we know why they are pushing this. What further clues do we need?