Health and Wellness : Kenyan in Dallas launches petition to send HIV drug Lamivudine to West Africa to treat Ebola

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by UBNaturally, Oct 24, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Kenyan in Dallas launches petition to send HIV drug Lamivudine to West Africa to treat Ebola

October 18, 2014

Screen-Shot-2014-10-18-at-3.24.10-PM-610x389[1].png

A Kenyan in the Dallas Fortworth has launched a petition seeking to have newly appointed Ebola Czar Ron Klain to immediately urge US drug companies to send HIV drug, Laminvudine to West Africa to help combat Ebola.

Jenny Odhiambo launched the petition after she saw a video of a doctor in a rural village in Liberia who was using a drug used to treat HIV on Ebola patients.

Source:
    http://www.jambonewspot.com/kenyan-...rug-lamivudine-to-west-africa-to-treat-ebola/

Here is the link to the petition
    http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/urgent-send-the-hiv-drug.fb48?source=c.fb&r_by=6463715

Also will try to just onto this and any other petition that may bring more attention or funds to Dr. Logan's efforts.

#LamiGorbee

Not sure how useful Twitter is anymore, but will make an attempt

[​IMG]
    Four survivors of the Ebola outbreak, who were treated by Gorbee Logan, a Liberian doctor who says he has successfully treated Ebola patients with anti-retroviral drugs, walk at a clinic outside Monrovia October 3, 2014

Respect

2. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    More background on the HIV/Ebola anti-virals that Big Pharma doesn't want to address, because their patent expired in 2011

[​IMG]

Miraculous: Liberian Doctor Curing 90% Of Ebola Victims
    Is there a connection between AIDS and Ebola?

— October 23, 2014

Dr. Logan wasn’t taking a stab in the dark but rather capitalizing on research that was reported as early as 2001.

Thirteen years ago, Reuters reported on a medical discovery that found both Ebola and HIV/AIDS use the same mechanisms to spread throughout the human body.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – December 1, 2001 – The viruses that cause AIDS and Ebola, two deadly, contagious and highly feared diseases, spread through the body using the same mechanism, U.S.-based researchers said on Friday. The researchers, led by Dr. Paul Bieniasz of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center at New York’s Rockefeller University, said they hoped their finding might lead to the discovery of new drugs to help treat HIV and Ebola infections.

Evidently, that discovery did lead to the creation of new drugs that could be deployed to fight the most deadly and widespread Ebola epidemic in history; but the western medical community has done nothing to make that happen.

Instead, over the past few months, we’ve seen scores of interviews with doctors and researchers that ignored existing treatment options and instead focused on non-existent vaccines as if there were no other possible medical response.

Advertisement-content continues below

Each of these experts offered excuses and explanations for why there is no Ebola vaccine, including a man credited with discovering the pathogen, Peter Piot, a Belgian microbiologist.

In a CNN Money interview (above), Piot said that “…we don’t know enough how to treat someone with this viral infection, with Ebola, we don’t know exactly how to prevent it through a vaccine, and we don’t know also how exactly the virus causes death.”

Dr. Piot’s statement was a lie, and he knew it.

Although medical experts tell us that there is no definite cure for Ebola, nearly everyone on the planet has now heard of ZMAPP. This experimental bio-pharmaceutical set a historic precedent this year, credited with saving the lives of western doctors that had become infected with Ebola while serving in Africa. As their colleagues struggled to save their lives, virtually all of the ensuing drama was broadcast live, all over the world.

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/mi...-curing-90-ebola-victims/#EmjoALkY3lbVMW4P.99

3. Rottenez watkins

Rottenez watkins Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +11
    I read up on the drug lamivudine and understand that it has only been effective in the patients that have been found to have Ebola here in America because they were treated early also I believe that these individuals who were treated probably were more nourished than the people Liberia,because I understand that dehydration is a key factor so even though its saving lives it can lead to liver problems should it be combined with the drug placebo.So I can sympathize with Dr.Logan on this issue but the bigger picture is that you can be signing someone's death certificate further down the line.But I believe this is what research is for to solve a more dire matter today,and hopefully heal a minor matter somewhere down the line.Another thing is the czar should is clearly aware of what must be done so NP one needs to tell him to contact any Drug companies it should have already been done.

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Here, for those that feel the need to donate or help West Africa

http://www.tackleebola.com/

[​IMG]

Billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers, has pledged to contribute at least $100 million to the fight against the deadly Ebola virus.

This money should help in the research, the research that has been going on since 1967

5. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Since it seems we are now allowed to post full articles without posting sources...

One of the supposed Oxford test subjects

Ebola vaccine: diary of a guinea pig

Médecins Sans Frontières staff member Nick Owen explains why he agreed to take part in trials to find a safe and effective Ebola vaccine

[​IMG]

People have said that I must be brave and/or stupid to want to take part in such an experiment, but I don’t quite see the issue. The trial is to test the safety of the vaccine and whether it can produce an immune response, charting the possible side effects and to pinpoint the dosage needed when it is eventually used in the field.

I was given the vaccine a week ago. So far, I feel absolutely fine. To be honest, I’ve had flu vaccines that have made me feel worse.

A couple of weeks before I was given the vaccine, I had a screening visit with a doctor taking part in the trial. This was to make sure I was fit to take part, and included blood tests and a review of my medical history. I passed.

A couple of weeks later, I was back at the university’s centre for clinical vaccinology and tropical medicine, where I was seen by the nurses and given a quick check-up. My temperature and blood pressure were taken — all fine.

Then another set of blood samples were taken to establish a baseline for which all of my future blood tests could be measured against: over the next six months I have to return seven times to have my blood tested to see how I’m reacting to the vaccine.

The vaccine I’ve been given is called ChAd3, which uses a single benign Ebola virus protein (approximately one-seventh the size of the whole virus) to generate an immune response. It’s carried into my body by a “vector,” in this case a chimpanzee adenovirus – or a common cold. I’m given a virus as it allows the Ebola protein to get inside cells, producing a particular type of immunity.

It is, specifically, a chimp virus. That’s because we are often immune to the average common cold, meaning the vaccine might not have a chance to work. I’m essentially tricking my immune system into thinking it has an infection.

The nurse brought the vaccine to the appointment room from the freezer, where it was stored at minus 80C. She thawed the vaccine in her hands, drew it into a syringe and, within seconds, it was making its way into my bloodstream from my left upper arm. It was an odd feeling to think that I now had a bit of one of the world’s deadliest diseases coursing through my body.

For the first 28 days, I have to keep an electronic diary, recording my temperature and every medical complaint I have, whether it’s a sneezing fit or breaking my ankle – which, thankfully, hasn’t happened.

The good news: apart from having slight flu-like symptoms and a mildly sore arm the day after the vaccine, I’ve felt completely fine.

It’s a small price to pay and can’t be compared to the sacrifices that healthcare workers in west Africa are making at the moment. Doctors, nurses and other health staff are risking their lives, and many have died attempting to bring some comfort to people infected with this horrendous virus.

Many healthcare workers, like my friend Javid [a doctor who also reports for Al Jazeera] – who posted the picture from Sierra Leone while working for MSF – have felt absolutely helpless responding to this outbreak. There is no cure for the disease, and they often feel there is little they can offer patients.

I hope that by taking part in this trial I can play a very — and I emphasise the word very — small part in helping to prevent outbreaks of this magnitude from happening again.

Nick Owen will be a part of the trial for another five months, with three more blood tests to undergo before establishing if his body has reacted well to the vaccine.

6. Rottenez watkins

Rottenez watkins Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +11
    For me to pretend that I sympathize with this test study would be ludicrous. Don't get me wrong I understand his motives both good and bad.but I believe that someone who doesn't come from Liberia and have the same nourishment or nutritional body system as the people of Liberia who unfortunately do not have the opportunity to be fed proper meals daily like Americans and individuals in other parts of the world do,then I would pretty much say the study is not genuine. I say this because even though the ones who survived this disease were able and fortunate enough to be able to get proper health care,thrcmain issue here is that there is no cure and the same medicine lamivudine is used for hepatitis B so its kind of a no win situation.Nothing against either of these white men one who is offering his servitude for a test study and the other who is providing financial support for research development.This country has no properly managed health care system,water resources, food product but America comes in with clowns were supposed to see as saints and help manage a catastrophic situation but nonetheless comes and slaps our people in the face yet again so no I don't praise all contributions to this effort
    Because they are not sincere.But I will not be fully naive because African nations need blessing's,but man's blessings aren't GODS worth.

7. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    The only real traffic cops can and will come from black health care professionals who are on the scene, and/or among those brave doctors with borders folk, who did put out the calls, before Obama etc. heeded them, too!

FYI