Science and Technology : Kenyan Company Invents New Type of Computer Modem

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Alarm Clock, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The basic idea behind the BRCK computer modem is that all kinds of jobs require steady connectivity, even when infrastructure is spotty due to wireless connections that come and go, intermittent power, or devices that can’t share connections. Seeing this, we set out to redesign connectivity for the world we live in – Africa. As we laid out what such a device would look like — physically robust, able to connect to multiple networks, a hub for all local devices, enough backup power to survive a blackout — we realized that the way the entire world is connecting to the web is changing. We no longer only get online via desktops in our office, we have multiple devices, and we are all constantly on the move. So we designed the BRCK computer modem for the changing way we connect to the web around the world, from cafes-hoppers in San Francisco to struggling coders in Nairobi.
    The BRCK computer modem is like a backup generator for the internet.
    It works when the electricity goes out and it works when the internet goes down. It is portable and easy to set up. It supports up to 20 devices, with WiFi powerful enough to cover multiple rooms. Our motto has always been “if it works in Africa, it will work anywhere.”

http://www.africanglobe.net/business/kenyan-company-invents-type-computer-modem/

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

This is nice bruh, cutting edge technological always is, especially when it's developed in the Mother Land. The only problem I see is price and problems with connectivity. In places like Africa, Hong Kong, and a few other places, connectivity is way more faster than here in America, and for less money. Based on these two factors, it will be expensive to use due to the speed we have, and it may not work as well for the exact same reason, connectivity.

Peace!

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I read about this new technology of the Kenyan guys before. The article I read said they invented it precisely because in many, if not most, places in Africa, electricity is spotty. I've even read about movie sets having to shut down because the electricity went out - even though the bill was paid. As this technology is supposed to bypass such emergencies, my hat is off to them and much success hoped.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    For how long?