Black Ancestors : Ken-Norton-former-heavyweight-champion-dies

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by shaka64, Jun 8, 2016.

1. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    He was the second man to beat Muhammad Ali, breaking Ali's jaw and sending him to the hospital in their 1973 heavyweight fight.

Ken Norton frustrated Ali three times in all, including their final bout at Yankee Stadium where he was sure he had beaten him once again.

Norton, who died Wednesday at the age of 70, lost that fight for the heavyweight title.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9691147/ken-norton-former-heavyweight-champion-dies

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • List
  2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    [​IMG]

Ken Norton died 2 1/2 years ago

Sep 18, 2013 I believe

3. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    You are right I was tripping, and I blame it on the E&J

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Man, I was just watching an old Phil Donahue show that has Frazer, Ken, Ali, and Holmes on. Then when Ali died, I thought about that show and asked who would be next. The only two left of that magic era is Holmes, and Forman. Man, I just knew he was going to be one of man to pay his respect to Ali....

When Ali died, Forman said that him, Ali, and Frazer was one guy, and the best part of him is gone. I wasn't that much up on Norton and Holmes. But I grew up watching Frazer, Ali, And Forman.

Thank you again brutha Shaka for posting this.

Peace!

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I just read the other two post in her....bruh...put that yak down....got me all misty eyed and ish...:rofl:

Peace!

6. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Foreman made Ali a Legend.

Foreman was a beast when Ali faced him, and when Foreman was knocked out, Ali took over as the baddest heavyweight to have laced them up.

If Foreman would have knocked out Ali like he did his other opponents, the story of Ali would probably have went a bit differently.

Instead of Ali/Frazier rivalries, it would have been Foreman/Ali rivalries, and I think Foreman appreciates his loss created such a wonderful legacy in Ali.

March 1, 1973

March 26, 1974 (George Foreman: 39-0 36 wins by KO)

Notice after the Ken Norton/Ali fight, Ali changed up his style after watching the Foreman/Norton fight, and used a defensive/survival tactic that would later be called the rope-a-dope (Foreman being the dope, outsmarting the brawler), to avoid the power punches that he had once taking from Norton that broke his jaw.

Being mindful and observing at ringside of the Foreman/Norton fight, I guarantee Ali didn't care to get hit by those punches. I think I heard that the fight with Foreman was the fight he feared the most (Ali was probably pondering retiring after seeing Foreman easily dispose of the man that he went 12 rounds with, and lost). It turned out that his fear turned into a style of boxing, and thus made him a legend.

Many often wondered what would have happened if Ali fought Mike Tyson, I say that he did, and his name at the time was George Foreman

October 30, 1974 (George Foreman: 40-0 37 wins by KO)

Foreman is a living legend, that was humbled by Ali
    People forget he became the Heavyweight champ again at the age of 45, by guess what...

KNOCKOUT

Twenty years after losing the Heavyweight title to Ali...

November 5, 1994

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    You are absolutely correct. Ali himself has spoken often of the fight. And in the movie featuring Will Smith as Ali, the could have picked any fight, but that chose the Thrilla in Manila". There was even a movie made about Don king that starred Ving Rhames and Don which mad this fight the focus point.
    [​IMG]

Yeah Ken broke his jaw but Joe hit him the hardest....

Tru -dat brutha..

Foreman was rockin Joe with those punches. I once saw some film of Foreman's punches lifting opponents up when he hit them. I think Ali really had to keep himself physed up with that chant.

Brutha...here is some interesting reading.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/...uhammad-alis-trainer-demand-prevented-rematch

All smoke but no fire, bt we can't dismiss Foreman's assessment either.

Many often wondered what would have happened if Ali fought Mike Tyson, I say that he did, and his name at the time was George Foreman

I saw this fight, they (the announcers) didn't seems to give him that much of a chance IMO.

Remember when Tommy Morrison ran the whole fight and he won by a unanimous decision.

That is why I was so glad when they great white hope received this beat down...@ 11:25

Peace!

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Put that :drink: down, in a hurry, and :donttell: next time :), Brandy is a strong drink.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I so enjoyed reading everyone's comments in this thread. It brought back some fond and exciting memories. That was an era that has come and gone and I'm glad I was around to witness it. Those athletes were awesome and each had a style of his own. Ali was the most flamboyant, fastest and biggest smack talker (lol)...but he earned everyone's respect. Smokin' Joe...was short and would come at you like a charging bull. That fight he had with Foreman...man, Foreman is the tallest of them all and would literally rain punches down on your head...lol Ken Norton...you could see the intensity and concentration on his face when he fought...when he landed punches, tv viewers would holla "ouch"...scary dude. Wow, these legends are all dying and they aren't that old but their bodies must be wrecked from those grueling battles in the ring. What an amazing era...

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I must agree...

I tell my kids that those were special times back then. Ali and Frazier was the talk of the black communities, and for us kids (boys).....you had to know the Ali "Float like a butterfly" rhyme.

We even tried to improvise on the Ali shuffle... I tried in in a real fight and almost tripped...:lol:

I'm touched that you've enjoyed our comments sista

Much luv and respect!

Peace!