Black People : Ken Burns Piece On Racial Profiling Pits Him Against NYC Mainstays:

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Jan 5, 2013.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
  2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Wow! Thank you so much for posting this article!!!

In addition to reading your link, I became so amazed I did further research. I remember hearing about this case years ago and because of so much confusion that came from so much media coverage, I left off from thinking about it until now. I had no intentions of doing much research but by and by, I became so caught up in what I was reading, I ultimately spent hours 'yesterday' and this morning reading up on this case. It is amazing!!! And i have so many unanswered questions in my mind. But again, I want to thank you for posting and opening up my mind to some challenging thoughts based upon this incredible case.

Again, I still have made no conclusions about what i think about this case, but I do have so passionate opinions and questions that came up as i read more and more into this historical case. I do want to see this documentary but i don't believe it is going to address my complete feelings on this case.

Some of my first thoughts or question was 'Why in the world would this woman go jogging at 9:00 PM at night by herself in a New York park in Harlem?

But then after i thought about it, perhaps I have a preconceived notion and 'fear' about parks being dangerous especially in Harlem.

My next thought and question is; Do most White women have that kind of confidence of being invincible and a confidence that this civilization has provided them such an Utopia that no one would dare to attack them--that kind of confidence that I don't have because I'm a Black African American woman?

I believe that my experience here is not because I am solely a Black woman but also because of personal experiences and I just don't feel that confident to think I could go jogging at 9:00 PM by myself and be safe.

My other thoughts upon reading for hours is based on something that is not highlighted in all of what I read, and it really makes me emotional. It concerns the actual criminal, confessed criminal, for raping this woman. I choose not to follow the conventional conditioning of 'not highlighting the criminal' here but I want to speak what I feel. I believe that this criminal is a serious monster but more importantly, I believe that this system makes monsters like him when they in affect 'reward bad behavior' by not targeting responsible people that also have something to do with making this monster. At one point this monster was a child and I want to know who was there for him when he was a child that needed help? Who was there for that child when he was being harmed? Why don't this system ask his first nurturer what was her reasons for being separated from her child? Why would this system view her as a victim as opposed to providing answers as to why this child was abandoned? When he was being raped and abused, who was there for him, to rescue him? He was not rescued.

I believe that this system has thrived off of wicked people who rape and molest children and then suppress them and it stems from this very foundation when millions of children were brought over hear on the slave ships. Something is wrong with this system. The fact that he was from Puerto Rico is either here, no there, when it comes to this system and this particular situation because they boast that they are a nation of immigrants. So targeting immigrants would never be the solution in regards to this crime. It's all about accountability of the citizens this sytem claims to protect and therefore, I believe this system is seriously flawed. It creates monsters that eventually explode and attack others who are innocent and then lock them away without dealing with the original crimes against human nature.

Tricia Meili, the victim, was attacked and raped so badly that to my amazement, she was expected to die. however she was comatosed for awhile but survived but she had such a brain trauma that she doesn't even remember the entire attack! Man! As a result though, she had to be in a wheelchair and had to basically learn how to walk all over again and she has lost her sense of smell. It all seems like a divine intervention though, this ordeal, in that she has been sort of 'protected' from knowing all what happened to her and it causes me to think about even more deeper issues.

On one hand, it would be good for her to be able to tell just what happened to remove all doubt about the five accused and earlier charged with this crime, but on the other hand, at least she doesnt' have to remember the pain. In one link, she said she doesn't remember from about five o'clock of that day onward until about five weeks after the attack. But she can remember her past and i find that to be astounding! I am happy that she survived and the actual rapist is revealed but again, I still have a lot of questions and don't think all of the truth has surfaced about this crime.

At any rate, thank you for posting and I am also going to share some of the information that I found in another post.

3. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    [​IMG]
    The Central Park Jogger
    Patricia Meili

I was amazed to stumble across this article when Oprah Winfrey interviewed Triacia Meili and I found that Oprah's first thoughts were my first thoughts!

OPRAH INTERVIEWS THE CENTRAL PARK JOGGER

The Central Park Jogger says she was insulted by Oprah Winfrey when the talk-show queen asked a blame-the-victim question in an interview about the 1989 rape.
    …she could scarcely believe her ears when she heard the talk-show host's first query after they took a run near the scene of the infamous crime.
    "She kinda leaned over to me and said, 'What were you doing in the park at that hour?'"…
    …The 47-year-old ex-banker said that if Oprah asked her the same question today, she would have responded more forcefully.
    "I'd say. 'Well, if that isn't a blame-the-victim question, I don't know what is.' Because that's exactly what it is.
    …"When I first heard about you, I thought, 'Why were you running alone in Central Park at night?'" Winfrey confessed to Meili at the time.
    …Meili responded
    …'Hey, I have every right to run where I want, when I want.'
    Winfrey didn't drop her line of questioning….
    …"But the idea of running alone in Central Park is a foreign concept to me. You had to be the kind of person who either thought you were invincible or who was just nuts." …

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/question-oprah-angers-central-park-rape-victim-article-1.257960

4. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Court is not about justice, but putting on a "good" show....

So long as the masses believe in court and government ....

Maintenance of faith .... like a church .....

5. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    DOCUMENTARY;
    THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE, the trailer

[​IMG]

I want to share the links and research and tell this story from my point-of-view and start with a time line that begins with Martia Reyes [Tony], the criminal of this violent rape crime when he was a child and when he lived in Puerto Rico before he came here to America.

He was about 2 years old and he was separated from his mother for years of whom went to live in America in New York. I just want to know what kind of woman would leave her little child at that young age and not think that he or she would harmed or better off than with his natural nurturer. There are many stories of how this bond has been broken and how mothers spirits have been broken because they've been ripped away from thier children, and there are stories of women who leave off from their children for what they believe to be valid reasons, and then there are valid reason why women have been separated from their children and I choose to be open minded about this issue due to my cultural experience with the history of slavery, but more importantly, due to my own personal experience. Nevertheless, I still feel this question about Martias demands an answer for me to understand and have peace in regards to his innocence being ripped away from him when he was only a child.

He was left with his father but at the age of 7, he was raped by two homosexuals. He said that they threw him into the river, then they beat him, and then raped him. So since this issue is not highlighted, I want to highlight it because it was obviously this horror that the child could not escape. . . ever. He was not rescued, not by his father, nor his nurturer. At this point a child, a 7 year old child was left to deal with this violent attack and he had no escape, therefore a monster was born. And somehow later, when he was said to have attacked his own mother when he was 15 or 16, no explanation comes frome her, his own mother, as to the terror that her own son endured while he was a child. If anyone could speak up for him, it would have been her, but somehow, she becomes the victim, . . . the one who abandoned her own child, be it by someone elses will or her own will . . . she gave birth to the child and at 2, he was abandoned. I'm having a hard time trying to understand this part of the story.

Anyway two years later after he was raped at the age of 7 by two homosexuals, he was sent to live in America with his mother at the age of 9. Now how can this trauma of this child pass unchecked? I'm having trouble trying to understand this part. When he was in the 9th Grade, he quit school forever. So again, what did ihs mother do to help him at this point? When he turned 15, it was at this time, he and a friend raped his own mother!!! Okay, now this would be a red flag flying to me, a precursor of things to come and a serious mark of how he was in formation spiritually. After he attacked and raped his own mother, he then returns to Puerto Rico and was said to have never seen her again. She moved out of state. But he returns to America in New York around the age of 17 and at the time of his awful crime, he was said to work across the street from the police! He lived over top of the grocery store and they too called him Tony and saw him regularly at his job.

In my opinion, it seems like his conflict and rage against the many women that he would soon be charged for attacking and raping stems from some kind of inner rage and intense hatred of being abandoned by his own mother and left completely vulnerable and attacked and raped by men. He may have acted in rage against women in a sick sort of way to lash out at his own mother for feeling helpless as that child that was not rescued and he may have revisited that act repeatedley in his mind of when he was grossly victimized and chose to deal with his memories in a violent way?

At any rate, when he was 18 he went to that park on April 17, 1989 and he raped a woman and by that time, he was already a serial rapist and a murderer. He raped a pregnant woman with three children in the house and he stabbed that woman to her death. Two days later on April 19, 1989 he went back to the park and raped and almost killed Tricia Meili but the police did not know it was him for many years and not until he chose to confess. In August of 1989 he raped another woman but she escaped and ran for help and that was when he was picked up and confessed to raping and killing a pregant woman.

The police had the DNA evidence but for some reason, they did not know it was him until he confessed while in prison serving a life sentence for other crimes. He confessed after the statute of limitations was over for him to be charged with the rape of Meili.

On April 19, 1989, Martia Reyes was 18 years old, and although the media always refers to him as 'a man', at the time of the crime, he was like the others charged at that time, a teenager. The other teenagers charged with the crime are referred to as 'The Central Park Five' but there were other teenagers implicated at the time, all of whom went to the park that night to go 'wilding' and some of them admitted to attacking about 12 other joggers or people in the park.

For years the Central Park Five were imprisoned for the crime but when after Martias Reyes confessed, they eventually were released, however controversy still looms over them because of other issues raised.

Apparently, some people still believe the Central Park Five were apart of the attack because of some of their statements. Some of them claim they know 'Tony' and an inmate said that Tony [Martais} said that he saw the teens attack the 'jogger' and then he approached afterwards. When he approached, the other teens fled.

The victim was dragged for 100 yards of which would be the length of a football field or two city blocks and then raped by Martias and left fof for dead. Thirteen years later, Martias was brought back to the very park and crime scene and he said that the spot he was first taken to was not the area that he remembered. Some people believe that Martias is not telling the whole truth in that he was the only person to rape the victim, but the inmate's story was not held up in court process. Anyway, here's the links:

…Reyes lived with his father in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico from the ages of 2 to 9. In a thirteen-page report by examining psychologist Dr. N.G. Berril, Mr. Reyes recollects a sexual assault visited upon him by two homosexuals when he was seven years old: “Two guys threw me in the river, beat me and had sex with me.” Two years later Reyes went to live with his mother on East 102nd Street in New York City. He quit school forever in the ninth grade. At age 15 he returned to Puerto Rico.
    At about this time Matias Reyes said “that a tragedy had occurred.” In fact, Reyes had gotten drunk and raped his own mother. He insists that he doesn’t remember the assault. “My aunt in New York told me this . . .I never saw my mother afterwards, maybe one time at the welfare office in Puerto Rico. I asked her about that night. She wouldn’t tell me.” Added Reyes of his family: “They always said I needed psychiatric help.” By age 17 Reyes was back in Puerto Rico’s northern province: New York City. He worked at a bodega on 102nd Street. …
    http://www.weirdrepublic.com/episode39-3.jpg

Matias Reyes (b. c. 1971) is a serial rapist and murderer who, while serving a lifetime prison sentence for other crimes, confessed to the rape and nearly fatal assault of Trisha Meili, the "Central Park Jogger" on April 19, 1989.
    On August 5, 1989, Reyes raped a woman who escaped and ran for help. He was arrested at that time and later confessed to an earlier rape and murder of a pregnant mother of 3 whose three children huddled in the next room during the attack. Other living victims identified him as a rapist….

http://murderpedia.org/male.R/r/reyes-matias.htm

Matias Reyes was born in Fajardo, Puerto Rico, and spent most of his early years there with his father while his mother lived in New York. At 7, Reyes told a psychologist hired by his defense lawyer, his life took a dark turn: He was sexually abused by two male strangers. "Given what Reyes did later on in life, this fits the pattern," says his former lawyer Richard Siracusa…..

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/n_7836/index3.html

6. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I would like to point out that the term 'justice' can mean simply administration with no reference to the quality of said administration.

A term with multiple, contextual meanings .... how about that ?

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    [​IMG]

Here are some links and quotes about the teenage mob that went 'wilding' that night the Central Park Jogger, Tricia Meili, was raped and left for dead, and about the Central Park Five that were originally charged for this crime.

I wonder what were they all doing on a Wednesday night at 9:00 PM 'Wilding' at that park when it was a school night and they should have been in school. Well then, it was April 19 so perhaps it was spring break. But then where were their parents at this time and how is it parents would let their teen age sons and/or daughters go about and be apart of a gang related activity like that in which they would have to account for later. No parent is perfect though and teenagers are hormone driven at times, but I sill have some questions in my mind about this case. I don't believe those teens premeditated and planned to rape people, but aside from that the other crimes committed that night was also violent. They were aggressive nonetheless. At any rate, here are some links:

-------------------------------------------------------

…Let’s take their confessions one at a time. Antron McCray, with both parents at his side, described how he kicked the little white woman and held her while his buddies raped her. He says he mounted the woman and simulated sexual intercourse so he wouldn’t feel left out. On videotape McCray swivels in an office chair and licks his lips. “We charged her and, like, we got her on the ground and everybody started hitting her and stuff and she was on the ground and everybody’s stomping. . .” He goes on, “Then we grabbed, like, I grabbed one arm and this other kid grabbed one arm and we grabbed her legs and stuff . . .and we all took turns getting on top of her.” Antron says he witnessed someone hit the woman with a pipe. Then he goes into detail about how he opened his pants and “pretended” to have sexual intercourse with the battered woman. “I didn’t put nothing in her,” Antron insists, “I was doing it so everybody would know, everybody just, like, know I did it.”

…Raymond Santana, in the presence of his father, described his participation in several attacks against men earlier in the night. He described how a gang of thirty teens split up after spotting an approaching police car. He ran west from the reservoir and encountered Kevin Richardson and Steve Lopez who were molesting the woman. “Kevin was pulling down his pants and Lopez, Lopez was smacking the lady in the face.”
    Prosecutor Elizabeth Lederer asked Santana: “Was she screaming?”
    “She was just hollering, like ‘Help! Help!’ and he was smacking.”
    Lederer inquires, “What happened when she was on the ground?”
    “Lopez came and he was holding her by the arms. He pinned her arms with his knees and then he covered her mouth with his hand.”
    Santana goes on to say that Lopez smashed the woman with a brick. He admits to fondling the woman’s breasts for his own pleasure.
    Kevin Richardson, with his father at his side, describes his evening of mayhem: attacking a homeless man, assaulting a couple on a tandem bicycle and beating a male jogger. Then he recalls how the wolf pack spotted the little white woman, …“Everybody was running and then, like, they caught her and like, like pulled her shirt off. They pushed her down and while they were pushing her down he grabbed her shirt and she fell.” He says Steve Lopez took her shirt off. “She was like, saying, ‘Stop!’ yelling, ‘Help!’” He says that the woman scratched him as he was trying to stop the attack, “She kind of scratched me a little.”
    On videotape, Kharey Wise kicks back, cracks open a Pepsi, and recounts how he watched his pals rape the jogger. After being shown photographs of the woman’s hideously smashed face Kharey says, “The more it looks like it’s, it’s, it’s from like, it was like a rock, a rock.” He recounts how Kevin Richardson hit the woman with a rock. He admits that he fondled the woman’s legs.
    …David Lewis, a banker, was surprised by the Harlem teens as he jogged around the reservoir track. He asked them if they wanted to race. “We’ll race all right,” was their reply as several of the punks closed in on Lewis from the front. He was hit hard as he ran past them and escaped. Another jogger, Robert Gardner, was punched in the face and body.
    A schoolteacher and former marine, John Loughlin, was beaten unconscious when he stopped to help a stranger who was being assaulted by the Harlem “youth.” He was hospitalized for two days. He said his skull still hurt eighteen months later.
    Steve Lopez pleaded guilty to stealing a radio from Mr. Loughlin. Lopez told the cops that Raymond Santana and Yusef Salaam had attacked Loughlin with a pipe wrapped in black tape. “He was going to work,” said Lopez. “He was like, bow! bow! bow!” Lopez repeated this account at a parole hearing two years later.

According to Yusef Salaam, “We hid in the trees and saw a female jogger coming. Kevin ran out and punched her. She was still struggling, so I hit her again. It was something to do. It was fun.” Each of the five suspects implicated the others. Four of the suspects had their parents present during the interviews. The parents were read the same Miranda warnings as were the suspects. The parents granted their permission for the detectives to question their children without a lawyer.