Black People : Kemetkind: Your view of brothers from the south.

Blackbird said:
Greetings All,

I agree with ya. I'm a down south brother from Louisiana, but I lived in Minneapolis before. I lived over North on 56th and Penn. Minneapolis, I once wrote, was a science project on intolerable tolerance. There are many interracial couplings, even my cousin is married to a white woman. I concur - I was deemed weird because I loved the sistas and many Black women, those whom were relocated transplants like myself, often said it was refreshing to find a brother into them. Needless to say, I had alot of fun with Black women in Minneapolis.

However, don't pass on the South. Everything is not peaches and cream. The racism attitude has become ingrained in a social interaction that has existed for centuries. There is very unique dance between black and white folks in the south. Ironically, there is also an understanding between the two groups - everybody knows their place and no one, except those from the outside, would buck the arrangement that has been made.

Now, I'm out West and I'm amazed at how integrated Black folks are out here. It's spooky.

Blackbird

I Believe the reason why the south seems like it has less racism, is because it's racism is out on front street. In my opinion, I prefer to know where I Stand (This is how we do it back home in Florida) than to be trying to solve racial conundrums everyday. Such as here in Minneapolis, When I was terminated from Target Technology Services for learning to Fast.

Blackbird said:
Greetings All,

I agree with ya. I'm a down south brother from Louisiana, but I lived in Minneapolis before. I lived over North on 56th and Penn. Minneapolis, I once wrote, was a science project on intolerable tolerance. There are many interracial couplings, even my cousin is married to a white woman. I concur - I was deemed weird because I loved the sistas and many Black women, those whom were relocated transplants like myself, often said it was refreshing to find a brother into them. Needless to say, I had alot of fun with Black women in Minneapolis.

However, don't pass on the South. Everything is not peaches and cream. The racism attitude has become ingrained in a social interaction that has existed for centuries. There is very unique dance between black and white folks in the south. Ironically, there is also an understanding between the two groups - everybody knows their place and no one, except those from the outside, would buck the arrangement that has been made.

Now, I'm out West and I'm amazed at how integrated Black folks are out here. It's spooky.

Blackbird

Brother Blackbird, nice, nice post, as per your usual(smile!)

You seem to be saying this thing is far more complex than we're making it out to be, and I agree...

As brother Manasiac said, there can be the conundrums, but depending upon where you are, and context, White boys will be either more or less inclined to express their racism... If they got'cha outnumbered, and if they're drunk at the Yankee game, you could be in trouble... But you could be in trouble, too, at the Georgia Tech vs. Florida State game if them ole boys is drunk, and you there by yourself, in the upper deck...(smile!)

In NYC, certain neighborhoods are dangerous for African people - period... They are usually those mafia havens, with Italian Americans tryna prove they hard... Bensonhurst in Brooklyn(Gambino Family) or Howard Beach in Queens,(Gotti's old stomping grounds) have had several incidents over the last 20-25 years... Yet get them boys outta that environment, they know how to be humble, meek, and mad shy - LOL! As long as they aint in no car tryna run you over, over 30 of 'em with baseball bats, they act like they got good sense...

I love the south, though... I just love the politeness and warmth... I am talking about whites and Blacks... I don't particularly look to be dealing with white folks nowhere I go, so it don't matter to me how they feel about me unless they SMOKEY on I-95, or somethin'(smile!) But to say that either the North or South is MORE racist is simplistic... Again, like Malcolm said, as long as we remain south of that CANADIAN BORDER, we south...

Peace!
Isaiah

I used to complain about Detroit all the time when living their about how boring and run down it was compared to other cities like Atlanta or Chicago.

But after living in Minneapolis and Columbus, I declared the ONLY cities in the Midwest I'd ever live in would be either Detroit or Chicago.

No where else.

Atleast I see SOME Black owned businesses and successful Black communities in Chicago and Detroit.
We tend to have economic, political, and social power.

The rate Black people are losing political and economic power over on the West coast is alarming.
We can see it coming, but what are these negro politicians planning to do about it besides welcome more Mexicans as our "friends"

Less racism anywhere....

I wouldn't believe there was any "more" or "less" racism in any part of the country. I'm from the midwest, Indianapolis to be exact. Only in larger metropolitan areas do you really see blacks and whites intermingling and interracial dating. If you go to any small town in Indiana....or just far enough out into the suburbs you will definately encounter open racists. I always tell my co-worker/supervisor that I don't go to small towns in Indiana because things have a way of happening to folks. If you know what I mean. I do agree there is no Black area besides the designated ghettos and they're getting rid of those in Indy and all over the country. I guess the resoning coudl be because a lot of the black families are only about 3 generations removed from the south, so there is really no history or foundation to really build from. The racism here is more subtle. You get little comments here and there that make you really question yourself. "Did he mean what I thought he meant, or am I just paranoid?" Enough to drive a sane man crazy! I won't even touch the black/white relationships in this topic...

I wouldn't believe there was any "more" or "less" racism in any part of the country. I'm from the midwest, Indianapolis to be exact. Only in larger metropolitan areas do you really see blacks and whites intermingling and interracial dating. If you go to any small town in Indiana....or just far enough out into the suburbs you will definately encounter open racists. I always tell my co-worker/supervisor that I don't go to small towns in Indiana because things have a way of happening to folks. If you know what I mean. I do agree there is no Black area besides the designated ghettos and they're getting rid of those in Indy and all over the country. I guess the resoning coudl be because a lot of the black families are only about 3 generations removed from the south, so there is really no history or foundation to really build from. The racism here is more subtle. You get little comments here and there that make you really question yourself. "Did he mean what I thought he meant, or am I just paranoid?" Enough to drive a sane man crazy! I won't even touch the black/white relationships in this topic

This is why I got out of the Midwest.

If you don't believe there is less racism in other parts of the country, then I suggest you go to the Atlanta area, Houston, or even Phoenix and San Diego.

It ain't perfect but it's a hell of a lot better.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back