destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

I just read this comment in another thread on the forum, and of course i've heard it before, but never really understood it.

I do understand the premise that you'd want to keep your enemies close so that you can know what they're doing, kinda keep a step ahead of them if you can.

But to me, this seems so counter-productive. I don't want my enemies anywhere near me! I don't care what they're doing, so long as they leave me alone. I don't understand why anyone would want to keep folk close to them, that they know hate them. Doesn't this require some type of energy to be expended on your enemy?!

I don't understand the value of keeping an enemy close vs the cost to one's peace, Spirit, and soul. It just seems to me that if an enemy is close to me, i'm vexed, i'm wondering why are they close to me, i'm wondering what they are doing, i'm wondering how are they going to try do me "this time," when if i keep them the hay away from me ... i don't think of any of that stuff!

To keep an enemy close, would mean that you must pretend that they aren't your enemy. Smile, laugh, and talk with them, interact in some small way, with a person that you know means you no good! That's hard work (at least for me)!

Please help me understand Family, how keeping an enemy close could be a good thing.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

To me, keeping the enemy close has great significant. I say this because if you don't know what your enemy is doing or thinking, you leave yourself open for a devastating blow. also, by keeping your enemy close you take a chance of him knowing what you are doing. It's a mental mind game without a doubt.

The purpose of this concept is to study your enemy. To learn how they act and think. By knowing these things you can carefully plan out a defense if you are attack or you can stop your enemy dead in his/her tracks.

I suppose it can be draining, but it would be a grave loss if you find yourself in a situation and you haven't a clue as to how your enemy thinks. You risk yourself and your family being devoured by your enemy.

you don't have to take this statement literally. You can study your enemy from afar but if you have a close up and personal relationship with them, you stand to learn more about your enemy.

Yes, you will have to bare with the fact that you don't like or trust the person and be hospitable to them. But I think its worth the sacrifice if you are responsible for the peace and safey of others. You personally may not have peace, but which is more important to you? Your peace or the peace and safety of your love ones?

It all depends on how greater risk your enemy pose. I personally would sacrifice my peace to protect the mental and physical safety of my family.

I dont know about keeping my enemies close, but some of them need an eye on them when they come around me. I like to know as much as possible about my enemy so that I know how to destroy them....they dont need to be in my face all the time though....no way. as long as you know your enemy and understand how their M.O., you dont need them close by.

Interesting question

I agree with Brother Panafrica, I believe this is a european adage and not an African proverb. When I think of "enemies", I think of jealous and insecure people who make it their business to make your life miserable if you let them. An "enemy" is a target of hate and can cause fear. You should never trust an "enemy" except to be true to their nature. To keep them close to you serves no purpose in my opinion. If you feel you need to watch your enemy's every move, then you have become their victim by giving them power over you. Keeping them closer to you than a friend lets them know the level of power and control they have over you, thereby making it easier for them to destroy you.

This old saying goes totally against my logic. To identify someone as your enemy tells me that you know enough about them to know that you shouldn't be around them, much less keep them close to you. Just knowing they are your enemy should tell anyone that no matter what they do, they don't have your best interest at heart, regardless of how much they might smile in your face.

Anyone who has the power of discernment and trusts their natural instincts and intuitions should be strong enough not to need to keep their enemies close. In my opinion, it's the enemy that should feel the need to watch out for those they hate because an "enemy" without a target or victim is.........NOTHING!

Queenie :spinstar:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back