Black People : Keeping Your Enemies Close To You

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

I just read this comment in another thread on the forum, and of course i've heard it before, but never really understood it.

I do understand the premise that you'd want to keep your enemies close so that you can know what they're doing, kinda keep a step ahead of them if you can.

But to me, this seems so counter-productive. I don't want my enemies anywhere near me! I don't care what they're doing, so long as they leave me alone. I don't understand why anyone would want to keep folk close to them, that they know hate them. Doesn't this require some type of energy to be expended on your enemy?!

I don't understand the value of keeping an enemy close vs the cost to one's peace, Spirit, and soul. It just seems to me that if an enemy is close to me, i'm vexed, i'm wondering why are they close to me, i'm wondering what they are doing, i'm wondering how are they going to try do me "this time," when if i keep them the hay away from me ... i don't think of any of that stuff!

To keep an enemy close, would mean that you must pretend that they aren't your enemy. Smile, laugh, and talk with them, interact in some small way, with a person that you know means you no good! That's hard work (at least for me)!

Please help me understand Family, how keeping an enemy close could be a good thing.

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think this is a European concept Destee.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    To me, keeping the enemy close has great significant. I say this because if you don't know what your enemy is doing or thinking, you leave yourself open for a devastating blow. also, by keeping your enemy close you take a chance of him knowing what you are doing. It's a mental mind game without a doubt.

The purpose of this concept is to study your enemy. To learn how they act and think. By knowing these things you can carefully plan out a defense if you are attack or you can stop your enemy dead in his/her tracks.

I suppose it can be draining, but it would be a grave loss if you find yourself in a situation and you haven't a clue as to how your enemy thinks. You risk yourself and your family being devoured by your enemy.

you don't have to take this statement literally. You can study your enemy from afar but if you have a close up and personal relationship with them, you stand to learn more about your enemy.

Yes, you will have to bare with the fact that you don't like or trust the person and be hospitable to them. But I think its worth the sacrifice if you are responsible for the peace and safey of others. You personally may not have peace, but which is more important to you? Your peace or the peace and safety of your love ones?

It all depends on how greater risk your enemy pose. I personally would sacrifice my peace to protect the mental and physical safety of my family.

4. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I dont know about keeping my enemies close, but some of them need an eye on them when they come around me. I like to know as much as possible about my enemy so that I know how to destroy them....they dont need to be in my face all the time though....no way. as long as you know your enemy and understand how their M.O., you dont need them close by.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Interesting question

I agree with Brother Panafrica, I believe this is a european adage and not an African proverb. When I think of "enemies", I think of jealous and insecure people who make it their business to make your life miserable if you let them. An "enemy" is a target of hate and can cause fear. You should never trust an "enemy" except to be true to their nature. To keep them close to you serves no purpose in my opinion. If you feel you need to watch your enemy's every move, then you have become their victim by giving them power over you. Keeping them closer to you than a friend lets them know the level of power and control they have over you, thereby making it easier for them to destroy you.

This old saying goes totally against my logic. To identify someone as your enemy tells me that you know enough about them to know that you shouldn't be around them, much less keep them close to you. Just knowing they are your enemy should tell anyone that no matter what they do, they don't have your best interest at heart, regardless of how much they might smile in your face.

Anyone who has the power of discernment and trusts their natural instincts and intuitions should be strong enough not to need to keep their enemies close. In my opinion, it's the enemy that should feel the need to watch out for those they hate because an "enemy" without a target or victim is.........NOTHING!

Queenie :spinstar:

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I believe to keep your enemies close means: " Know your enemy well "

That way you aren't ambushed by them. :driveby:

I study my opponents well. I know all I need to know about them. What they own. Use. Do and how they move and I study who they move with. I don't want to see them but if I do, I know what distance I need them to keep.

As you climb the ladder of life. You meet the same people going up that you meet going down.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

SistaPurpleMoons, I believe your understanding of this particular adage is correct... I first heard it in the movie The Godfather, and PanAfrica and Queenie are correct to say it is probably European in origin(smile!)

Believe it or not, though, all groups have had to practice this sort of thing - and Africans are no different... Here in the U.S. our ancestors definitely had to keep these Klansmen "close" for to betray their hatred of these people oft resulted in a lynching... Have we just not read what life was like as, say, a Black College President, where you've got to get that grant from some White Patrons, and you must smile, and sing songs, and scratch where it don't itch to please these folks... You aint shining 'cause you love shining before these folks, but you trying to keep 'em happy for the larger purpose of keeping your university open...

This phrase is not that deep, really... In essence, it is really about deceiving your enemy into believing that YOU are asleep, when you really aren't... In that way, you keep him close, because he is constantly conjecturing about where your head is... CLOSE in this case does not mean emotional and spiritual closeness, but psychic proximity...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Okay Brother HODEE ... thank you ... this makes sense ... to know them.

Thanks everyone who has shared thus far.

:heart:

Destee

9. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    A matter of perspective....

One thing is for sure, Warfare is all encompassing.
    It is both physical and psychological. Also by it's very

'nature,' relentless. Not all combatants are warriors.
    Not all warriors, are combatants.

Those whom are both, are usually found formidable,
    and able to distinguish between the physical and

the psychological and even gauge their effectiveness.
    But ANY combatant must have commitment first- and a

healthy dose of prespective. War is not pretty.
    There has never been a 'clean' one fought.

Sometimes you got to get down in the dirt
    (if you want to live,) and get real filthy.

(And if you wanna win...)
    Not all WARRIORS will take a 'vacation' from war.

But.....(and someone mentioned a european perspective?)

well heres another one........

War is he!!.

ROARIN........

10. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    To me, and I love that saying by the way and live by it when need be......but to me it means know your enemy well but also stay close to your enemies keep a presence in their lives never let them think you're gone..... cats that are enemies to me know it....and they know that I hate them with every fiber of my being and that we are engaged in a chess game with each of us trying to catch the other right (out there slippin) .......I don't try to avoid my enemies, when I see em I make it a point to roll up on em so they see me ...I look them in the eye and holla at em....we both know it's not because of any respect of friendliness it's because I want them to know I'm here always ....cats that are my true enemies know that I know them as well or better than they know themselves .....and if they don't then I have and will again prove it to em.......I've gon so far as swinging by a cat's mama's house to holla knowing me and him had issues and also knowing he thought I didn't know where his mama lived.....it was funny to see his face when I rolled up on him and her sitting on the porch talking to him like we was road dogs......hell she invited me inside to eat.............dude took the other road and left whatever problems me and him had on that porch that day.......I love stuff like that.......I understand war on both the mental and physical front but unlike a lot of cats I enjoy it probably more than I should but anyway .........but just realize what a real enemy is .......a person that is your enemy is out for your eventual end......you and everything you love and hold dear ....somebody that hate on you ain't your enemy that's just somebody with nothing better to do......so first thing to do is realize who your real enemies are....at this point in life I know them old and new.....the old ones are easier to deal with we know each other , we're in a long term relationship both trying to get the other both knowing the other way too well.....and as for the cats that are newly made enemies well they have to learn just how far I'll go and just what and who I can find and at that point they either give up the game or step their game up and we enter into the same relationship.............but with my enemies I want to know their routine, where they live, where their kids go to school , who watches their kids, where their family, and mama and daddy live, aunts, uncles, cousins, their women , I want to know what they read , what they like to eat, their favorite restaurant, bar, club, movie.....I try to know everything I can because you never know when the stuff will hit the fan and you have to just start getting after it ...........and roarin1 got it right it ain't for everybody .......just like anything else.....I was cursed though I love sh1t like that ..............for real..............

MississippiRed
    Half Man Half Savage just never know which side is gon come out