Black People : KEEPING THE MEMORY OF KATRINA FRESH IN OUR MINDS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    ...like the open wound that it is, and will always be!

This catastrophe is a watershed event in the NATIONAL history of the African American community, not just some trendy news story. IT stands as OUR TIME OF RECKONING with the indisputable truths of our situation in the United States, and contrary to what some people think, that we must HEAL from this open wound, I think we need to keep it open and fresh in our minds...

Why??? Because this event merely blew the rug off the mangy poverty and benign neglect which our people lived in New Orleans, and many other areas of the United States... It showed you and myself, just how dependent we are on our open enemies, and just how much contempt those enemies have for our lives.

As I analyze the events in NOLA, I am more and more coming to the realization that something man-made created those LEVEE BREECHES, and y'all know I am not given to conspiracy theories. As I have heard the commentaries of Whites, and those of Africans, I begin to understand the consistency of contempt on the part of the LOCAL government was just as prominent as that of the National Government. The endemic corruption of the Local Government actually fed the National Government's cycnism when the Local Government called on it for help...

For even as the Local Government cries about the lack of funds for LEVEE SUPPORT, it never reveals it's own history of corruption and avarice. It never talks about how it left those buses in that flooded parking lot, it never talks about the Army Bases it could've housed people in untill the storm was over - if it had requested that from the FEDS... I am not defending BUSH here... I think he and Nagin and Blanco WANTED this to go down like this, because they had to prove their corrupt assess weren't crying wolf again... So Black people had to die to cause a scene, and stir the FEDS, and the public up...

Again, we were used as pawns in a very deadly chess game... However we MUST begin to take responsibility for our own inaction, our own lack of awareness... We used to say here in the city, "Bus' da Move", "Peep da Move..." If you don't, you'll end up in a body bag just like a few of our people in NOLA... That is why we have to keep this issue on the FRONT BURNER...

It is an opportunity that has arisen out of Our National Tragedy... We must USE it to keep our people aware of themselves, and aware of their enemies - some who mingle within our own ranks... Somehow, I believe, this becomes and even more castastrophic tragedy if 20 years from now, we have little African children who don't even know what went down from August through September, 2005... We will be repeating the errors of past generations, who waited upon CBS and NBC to tell the story of Martin, Malcolm, and Muhammad..

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    BUSH ASSISTS DISASTER PROFITEERING

Helps Disaster Profiteers

By Peter Dreier, AlterNet. Posted September 17, 2005.

President Bush is taking advantage of the Katrina tragedy to get rid of workers' protections in favor of higher profits for politically connected corporations. Tools

President Bush has been justly criticized for his mishandling of the Katrina disaster, for his failure of leadership and for his indecisiveness. But on two matters involving post-hurricane reconstruction, Bush has been exceedingly decisive. First, he suspended federal rules to allow FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers to extend no-bid contracts to corporations engaged in the rebuilding. In doing so, he also allowed companies with close political ties to get to the front of the line.

Second, Bush sweetened these contracts even more by suspending the federal Davis-Bacon Act, the Depression-era law that requires contractors with federal funds to pay local "prevailing wages" on construction projects. Through these actions, Bush revealed that despite all the rhetoric about compassion toward the victims of Katrina, the administration's crony capitalism and corporate agenda is never far below the surface.

Katrina is a disaster for the people of the gulf region and for the nation's economy. About 400,000 Americans will lose their jobs, according to the Congressional Budget Office. But for some companies, especially those with political connections, Katrina -- like the war in Iraq -- is a bonanza.

Congress has already appropriated $62 billion for post-Katrina relief and repair, and the figure is expected to exceed $100 billion. The reconstruction of New Orleans and the gulf coast, like the rebuilding of Iraq, has unleashed a feeding frenzy of government contracts to companies. FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers quickly suspended rules in order to allow no-bid contracts and speed up reconstruction. Politically connected firms like Haliburton, Fluor Corporation, and Bechtel have already scooped up hundreds of millions of dollars for post-Katrina reconstruction.

Haliburton, formerly run by Vice President **** Cheney, is facing questions for allegedly overcharging on work done in Iraq. The Department of Defense has been criticized for awarding Iraq reconstruction contracts to Haliburton and Bechtel without competition. Since the storm hit, Haliburton's shares have risen by more than 10 percent to $65.

This crony capitalism, rampant during the Bush Administration, is bad enough. But Bush added insult to injury by suspending the Davis-Bacon law for Katrina-damaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Davis-Bacon law, enacted in 1931, sets a minimum pay scale for workers on federal contracts by requiring contractors to pay the prevailing or average pay in the region. The prevailing wage in New Orleans is $9/hour for construction work, far below that of most other parts of the country. The Executive Order came a day after a group of 35 Republican members of Congress asked Bush to suspend the law for recovery effort. The Bush administration, Congressional Republicans and their corporate allies have long opposed the Davis-Bacon law, just as they've opposed raising the federal minimum wage from the current below-poverty level of $5.15.

During the 2004 election cycle, the construction industry donated $71 million to candidates for the White House and Congress. Seventy-two percent of those contributions went to Republicans, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan watchdog group. Now it's pay-back time.

CLICK ON THE WEBSITE FOR MORE

http://alternet.org/katrina/25514/

PEACE!
    Isaiah

3. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Bro. Isaiah, I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but I believe that people ARE what they DO. I think the best way to remember Katrina is for us individually and groupwise to DO things differently--before the next Katrina. When people are vulnerable the way many of us are, there will always be Katrinas—from minor to major ones in our lives. Thus the casualties inflicted by Katrina on our folks was not a surprise to me. I can predict other Katrinas because we’re sitting ducks. This to me is as real as this laptop I’m typing on. I admit I do have difficulty understanding why this is not crystal clear to some of my folks and why this clarity doesn’t energize us to do anything and everything under the sun to avoid being sitting ducks.

I agree with folks 100% when they say “money is power” in the world the way the world is set up now. This is because money is probably the greatest motivators available. So, ‘money is power,’ but power, as I know you realize, must be used wisely or it’s useless. Or it is dangerous, because your enemy will get your power and use it against you. There’s nothing deep about that. IMO, we, AAs don’t use our power wisely, and I can’t blame anyone else for that. Now, I know some folks here will want to jump on me for not blaming the white man for that, but you know what? Jumping on me is not going to stop white folks from doing what white folks do. After folks here don jumped on me and after I don jumped back at them, another bunch of energy will have just been wasted and white folks are still gon do what white folks do.

If we could just FOCUS on how to use our money wisely. Just that, for starters.

Let’s focus on business, for ex. With the 30 million or so of AA’s in this country, we could have enough businesses to employ a very large chunk of all kinds of people and meet many of our needs, teach ourselves, protect ourselves, keep our power, acquire savvy in wielding power, and build that infrastructure, and the institutions we need.

How could we get that started just using the internet? Well, I, for ex. do a lot of shopping on the internet. Other people I know do it also and we know internet selling is increasing. It is the way of the future for many people.

So here’s a tiny skeletal plan. Let’s say, you, for ex. you could open up a bona fide internet toothpaste store out of your house. Most people on Destee use some type of toothpaste or teeth cleaner (I hope. LOL). Anyway, folks on this board and other Black boards could be encouraged, given incentives to buy all of their toothpaste from you. They would be your target base, but in time you would also get other customers too. Now, if you did an excellent job with your business of just meeting this need, many Black folks would order toothpaste from your internet store, and many of them would feel good that they’re getting a need met AND they’re getting it met from one of their own, thus keeping money among us.
    You could start small, but in time, this could become a modest sized retail business. You would have to hire people to help to process the orders. In time, you might want to start selling toothbrushes, floss and other dental items. In time, you might become a wholesaler or even manufacturer.

Another member on here could start selling lotion. Another could sell sweaters. Another could sell spices, etc. And the businesses would multiply. With that success, more of our folks would jump on the bandwagon because everyone wants to be associated with successful people.

IMO, this could easily be done with FOCUS and discipline. For ex. I order all of my hair care products from Carol’s Daughter, a black owned business based in Brooklyn. She has wonderful products and the service is excellent. I will be a lifetime customer of hers. And it’s so easy, because with the internet, I don’t even have to leave my house.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

I think that's a great idea (maybe because I'm going to be selling t-shirts soon on the net...just kidding) and I think we should make a forum devoted to listing black businesses. I've always tried to find listings like that, so why not make Destee the spot for locating black businesses.

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    This is an excellent post, Riada! I also want to add that Google Adsense and affliate marketing are additional ways one can establish entreprenuership through the Internet.

However, online business still requires work and investment... this is what I'm starting to realize as I venture further in my affiliate marketing pursuits. You have to be creative, persistent, and patient before seeing income great enough to establish first yourself financially and then your community. I have delved deep into affiilate marketing but I have quite more to go before I can start contributing in the offline world.

6. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, Kente, having a Black business directory or clearinghouse would be a good idea because so much info about Black people is so spread out until often I , too, can't find it WHEN I need it.

I just think going into business and learning how to run top quality businesses is the best way for Black folks to go at this point in time because it doesn't involve political, religious, or cultural stuff which causes arguing and divisiveness. And having successful businesses, on whatever level, could solve many of our problems.

7. Riada

Ratings:
    +18
    Karma, I don't know much about affiliate marketing but I've heard it can be lucrative. Just keep working at becoming more knowledgeable about that. We need lots of people with in-depth knowledge about various aspects of business and life. So, that could become your specialty.

My grandmother always said that a business person can't go wrong if they sell food, clothing, or shelter, but the world has changed. She never knew about affiliate marketing. LOL I tend to lean toward a more concrete business product. I'm in business with my fiber art items. It's one of my passions and I make money at it. It has also enabled me to help other artists like myself. I lovee doing what I do.

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Beloved Sister, that's what I'm talkin' about!

We must use this event as a launching pad to build the socio-economic and educational institutions and facilities we need to prosper and protect ourselves from harm from both external and internal forces... We saw how our own desparation made us turn upon one another... That is what sticks out in my mind, how this "each man for himself" mentality of a desparate people makes them see each other as PREY, rather than their brother or sister...

And it don't take no natural disaster for THAT behavior to play itself out, as it happens on the streets of north america daily... I love your idea because it speaks to economic independence, the ability to employ ourselves and others... I said it before up in here, that we are not prepared for nationhood, not matter how much we rail against the White Man... I hope that these events help us to see this, but more importantly, I hope it enables us to see what moves we must make to change our situaion...

Certainly your proposals are an excellent start for a whole lot of us at Destees, and so was Kente's suggestion of a Littel Black Book Business Directory... But even there we have to provide professional service, and excellent products... Yeah, I think building business that employs and secures a future for Africans all over this country would be the most definitive immediate response to the this tragedy, sister...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Yes affiliate marketing definitely can be lucrative... in fact there is a black woman selling an ebook discussing how she made 500,000 a year doing that.

But I can understand your perspective too... and really the skills required to make affliate marketing successful will also make other online businesses successful. Plus with the latter you get to keep more of the profit. :)

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I have to agree, this a good thread, everyone one here has a good plan. :lift: