Black People : Keep the Money in Your Circle, and Squares Can't Touch It

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by G Ali, Jul 16, 2014.

1. G Ali

G Ali Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    I've always felt strongly about supporting black owned business at home and abroad...but often find myself with a lack of options for one reason or another, so I'm always looking for new companies I can get behind as opposed to spending all my money outside the community. I wanted to ask the Destee Community about any black owned businesses they know of and support, whether you're an owner/partner, it's the company of a friend, or you found them on the street/web.

I'll be updating this thread every time I find a quality black owned business and hope you'll do the same.

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    There are options lacking. The businesses that exist don't have the customer focus or awareness of attracting repeat business. I wont return to any restaurant where the service is poor or the food is not good. I will patronize any business that has a good product or service regardless of color of the owner.

Growing up in Missouri. There were more Black owned businesses on the block and more patronizing by independent black merchants in the neighborhood.
    Black restaurants where you could sit down and have a good dinner was on the corner, ( pie's, greens, pork chops, chicken serious good home cooked quality food ) at the BBQ places on a sandwich there was potato salad on your snoot or rib sandwich. French fry portions you could feed two on they were the Texas size fry's.

They sold tripe sandwiches near the bus stops, home made tamales on the corner in a cart. There was the candy cart... and one lady in her house sold candy and cookies we bought from. There were several clothing stores that catered to the neighborhood. It was all good food and service and we looked for these merchants and patronized them regularly.

We had convenience pharmacy, and produce markets on the other corners from the house. There was up until the early sixty's this wood / coal man would come down our street selling coal for the furnace we had in one of the rooms of our house, the wood we had a wood burning stove. There was another black merchant pushing a cart that sold fruits and vegetables that passed in front of the houses of many blocks. There was a Mister Softy Ice Cream truck and theaters on the block. We actually could stay out on the front steps then and not worry about gangs and problems. One thing too the merchants could trust certain people, and they would give them credit until the next pay day to help them get thru the week.

Today there are a few BBQ places close by. I have patronized them, but were not satisfied with the food taste or portions.

I ordered four plates which were about was over $10 each, and I ordered greens they were extra, and sweet potato pie.

I will patronize regardless of the cost, over all I spent over $60 the first day I walked in. It's just that they don't make the good BBQ. I ordered greens ( got home and found out there was no corn bread ) it struck me funny they wanted me to pay extra for corn bread. The restaurants and BBQ plates I recall growing up you had everything that you needed to enjoy a full meal.

I have patronized several different BBQ places in California within a 50 mile radius and seldom go back. I find the same issues the food or portions aren't good. Small things like that goes a long way or crashes a business.

My wife and daughter have used a few of the salon's but now they do their own hair a lot.
    My daughter does her own nails now, she invested and learned. Some of her friends can weave and braid and they help each other out more. What I see around in the neighborhood now is just barber shops, hair salons and BBQ houses.

3. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
    Yes I've run into service issues myself, and agree that being a black owned business is not enough to get my support, you have to be a QUALITY black owned business...Though I will put up with the usual gripes and annoyances that come with dealing any business, nobody's perfect and who deserves a second chance if not our brothers and sisters.

and I often feel we lack diversity in what we will choose to invest in, because it seems like hair shops and chicken spots are always the answers I get when I pose this question.....as fashionable as young blacks are it shouldn't be as hard as it has been to find a black owned independent clothing line.....and I mean black owned not just a couple of hipsters hiring black models for their site and marketing their line as "urban".

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Coming Soon, The Destee Network ...

But here now:

Promote Your Web Site!
    http://destee.com/index.php?forums/promote-your-web-site.19/

5. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
  6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Are you looking for black businesses you can invest in, or black businesses to patronize?

7. G Ali

Ratings:
    +91
    Both Actually