Amun-Ra : Keep it to Yourself

Amun-Ra

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 15, 2001
Dallas
Occupation
Sales Management
If you have a college degree, let other people find out themselves unless you’re applying for a job. I say this for a variety of reasons and chief among them is that most people don’t care. Bringing it up makes it seem that you are bragging, but the most important reason not to mention it comes from an old saying that says “it is better to be thought a fool than to opens ones mouth and remove all doubt.”

Millions of people have college degrees. Some have several, as well as technical certifications and professional recognition, but they tend to keep it to themselves. Having a college degree is an accomplishment, but in most cases getting a degree is not that difficult if one possesses enough intelligence, resilience and determination.

My grandmother used to tell us to “act like you’ve been someplace,” which meant that we were to keep quiet and not act like the country boys we were. Later in life I learned a valuable lesson by keeping my mouth shut. There are people in this world who have tons of knowledge and education but have not attended a day of college. Some call them autodidactics, meaning they are self-educated and usually in advanced subjects. They are everywhere and you risk serious embarrassment flouting your college degree and then being unable to deliver in the real world when these people are around and they are everywhere.

Everyday I do business with college graduates who can’t form sentences, do simple math and have no understanding of basic scientific concepts. Having a degree in today’s society is a minimum requirement for cracking the job market, but smart employers learned long ago that a college degree wasn’t an indication of a person’s ability to think and solve problems.

As a manager of people, I look for people with a solid work ethic, determination and the ability to think on their feet; having a college degree is probably the last thing I look at in a persons resume, unless there is no job experience. I learned long ago that a degree even from a major university doesn’t guarantee performance.

My point in all of this is that having a college degree is barely impressive, unless you happen to have a degree in nuclear physics, Russian languages or aquatic engineering. Let your family tell others about your degrees. Let other talk for you. Some people feel that by mentioning they have a college degree it somehow adds authenticity or weight to what they are saying not realizing that degrees have nothing to do with quality of character and the ability to think. In fact mention that you have a degree can be a drawback, especially when people think, “How can an educated person say something so stupid.”

So, unless you are applying for a job or campaigning for one, we don’t care that you graduated from college.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back