Black People : Keep An Eye On D.C.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jul 1, 2007.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Fambly I'm not betting any money but I have reason to believe we are about to see a major gentrification event in Washington. I was talking to my father and he told me every media outlet in the city is obsessed with the weather 24-7. Long term residents know there is nothing unusual about the hot weather and thunder storms they've been having but the media is playing on the inexperience of the young and new residents trying to make them think something strange is happening.

This tells me something is being planned that the government wants to blame on the weather like they did in New Orleans. I don't know what that something is but keep your eyes and ears open.

2. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I lost a little respect for D.C. when I went there and the downtown park looked like a junkyard. Maybe you can shed light on that.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Well when I lived there a quarter century ago the city was 87% blac, thus the name Chocolate City. Over the last several years however whites have been moving in. You knopw when whites move in property taxes go up and moral goes down. Many years ago I had recurrent dreams that DC had become a dystopia. Now it looks like that is exactly what it has become.

I don't blame you for losing respect though I ask what is it you have lost respect for: the long term residents who are now victims of gentrification or the government that perpetrates that gentrification which was never worthy of respect in the first place.

4. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I was only there for a short time and didnt experience much. What is the percentage of population now?
    I guess I lost a little respect as a city as a whole but I mainly said what I said to gain an response and wanted someone to shed more light on DC.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace

In Roman Numerals:

D = 500

C = 100

6-00

Distri ct of Co lumbia = 18 letters

anything can happen and it usually does...................

6. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    you aint never lie :SuN020:

any recommended sources of info though?

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    let me see if i can shed some light here,as someone who was born and raised in d.c.let me say that as a child growing up there was no better place to live,i could go anywhere i wanted and never had to go through a back or side door and played with kids of all colors,but very slowly things started to change first of all as intergration became the law of the land we[blacks]started moving to the suburbs as fast as we got that[good goverment job]secondly the riots of[68]changed not only d.c.but alot of black populated cities and both of these things scared white folks to death,so a plan was put into motion to take d.c.back[the riots gave them just the leverage to do it]buildings smoldering which meant empty lots just sitting there waiting to be sold[and you know darned well that we couldn't buy any property cause we didn't own any to start with and the man wasn't about to sell us any,so they said let em come to the burbs and we'll go to the inner city and build it up to our specifications,raise the rents so high that few of them[us]will be able to get back in[yes i too had to move]now the amazing thing is that for years after the riots many places sat dormant but when the man wanted it for himself all this money comes trickeling in..parks,a baseball stadium[while the schools are falling apart]a[black?? mayor]who has already appointed a white police chief[of course he's just doing as told]but my point is the take over is almost complete[for those of you falmiliar with anacostia]which is the southeast section of the city heavily populated still with our people,the man is slowly taking that area too...in other words my people just as they have done since 1608 what they want they take and the district of columbia is the newest target in thier sights.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    To begin with, you are on point with this!

I was in Chicago last weekend (going back next weekend). I found out from one of the Brothas there who has Family in Detroit, that the same thing went on with Detroit. After the riots occurred there, many People flew out to the suburbs, and no need to mention what was left after that...(things that make you go hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm.................................)

I recommend that everyone who is concerned with this 'takeover' find the Book The Hidden History of Washington, D.C. composed by members of The Reclamation Project and read it. After connecting the information from that Book with what 'oldies' said, his statements are very much on point!

MK

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Stop Look and Listen! We are the mighty Indians!

Hey oldiesman!

You right up my alley, sugar. My aunt Donna Duckett was co captain of the cheerleaders at Anacostia High. I myself went to Rabaut junior high before moving to L.A.

Even as a wee child I got a sense of fading glory. At nine years old I could take the bus by myself to the Martin Luther King Library downtown but before I left there were places in Southeast where you could not catch a cab and after I left the city became the murder capital of the world. This is the environment in which gentrification breeds itself. smh

10. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486