Black People : Katrina..........

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Aug 31, 2005.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    The Death of New Orleans

This is not a 'doomsday' message, but I think it is important that we comprehend the fact that the governing authorities do not understand the magnitude of the catastrophe on the Gulf Coast. We are witnessing the actual death of a city and the displacement of hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, jobs and way of life. Study this because it is what will be repeated in other areas of the country. The ramifications of this will be felt all across the country for the next several years and it is much, much deeper than the 'news story of the week'. I hope that the brilliant minds here at Destee will utilize our abilities to analyze the situation and suggest ways that may be of use to some of the thousands who are being displaced, as I'm sure some are family, relatives, friends and associates of us here.
    I trust also that people here will not rush to get on the 'law and order' bandwagon, condeming the so-called looters out of hand. This is an example of a total breakdown of order and we are just beginning to see the chaos. What would you do if you found yourself in a situation where the community has collapsed and you are trapped. I am not supporting stupid stuff but I cannot condemn the desparate.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Why is this different from the tsunami and why is our emotional and assistive reaction different?

3. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I completely understand people "looting" at grocery stores for food and other essentials.
    The people I condem are the ones who have broken into a Wal-Mart and stolen all the guns, people breaking into jewelry stores and clothing stores. Those are the people who are taking advantage of the situation and being a hinderance instead of a help to the many people who need it. There have even been reports of looters shooting each other.

With no electricity and water still poring into the city all the people need to get out instead of trying to profit from this disaster. The city is a bowl and the water has no place to go if the pumps and levees keep failing.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I have cousins in New Orleans, my mom owns a home there as well. It's easy for people to say they should just leave. Leave and go where? If they were able to leave they would have done so

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For some people guns are essentials!

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23

I know having no where to go is going to be a huge problem for people. They're trying to find places for the thousands of people stuck at the superdome. But with no drinking water, no electricity and the water growing higher in most parts of the city I don't think staying is going to be an option for much longer. It's just not going to be safe to stay.

I hope your family made it through with no losses, this is a terrible disaster. I don't have family there but since I used to live in the city I have friends there.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

this websight is being updated with new information all the time for those interrested.

7. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    :uhh: because these are OUR PEOPLE, our friends, OUR relatives, OUR assoiciates!

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

9. nasco

nasco Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Those in search of the "basic" staples of life should be given a break. However, those who take advantage of this extremely tragic situation should be dealt with very harshly. Louisiana may be different, but Mississippi's anti-looting law alone carries a penalty of 15 years for looting under these types of circumstances. How can anyone in their "right" mind have compassion and/or forgiveness for those who contribute to the further destruction of the very infrastructure that will be neccessary for them to rebuild their lives?

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Paradigm Shift

What we have to wrap our minds around is the realization that the place we know of as New Orleans is drowning. What we are seeing has NEVER happened in the u.s. before. A city has collapsed, and if the order hasn't been issued yet, mark my words, it will be before the day is out: EVERYONE will be ordered out of the city. Understand, even if they could pump all the water out in a month or two, (which they cant), what would they do with the residents in the meantime? While it may be true that many of the people have no where to go, they cannot stay there. 'There' does not exist anymore. Anyone who believes the government is going to pump the water out and rebuild the city for the same residents (especially for the Black ones) is suffering under an illusion. I could very well be incorrect, but as each hour unfolds, it becomes clearer that bush-n-them aren't putting together the type of resources necessary to 'save' the city nor to 'save' the people, (such as creating 'temporary cities' by bringing in the military to put up giant tents in nearby areas and evacuating the people by the thousands out of harm's way and then trying to stop the levees from collapsing, etc). These people are basically refugees and the sooner thats recognized, the sooner the long term problems can be addressed. Sending a few tons of can goods and trucks of clothes and medical supplies will not be nearly enough.
    Again, I ask you: what would you do if your city collapsed and they tell you there wont be electricity, water or any other services for WEEKS.
    BTW: they are NOT looters, they are people who are realizing there is no system to service them. There is no infrastructure and the semblance of order is rapidly disappearing. Again, tell me what you would do?