Black People : Kara Walker - contemporary artist

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    an exhibition I'd like to see..

http://learn.walkerart.org/karawalker?n=Main.HomePage

“I knew that if I was going to make work that had to deal with race issues, they were going to be full of contradictions. Because I always felt that it's really a love affair that we've got going in this country, a love affair with the idea of it [race issues], with the notion of major conflict that needs to be overcome and maybe a fear of what happens when that thing is overcome— And, of course, these issues also translate into [the] very personal: Who am I beyond this skin I'm in?” - Kara Walker

"I have a funny problem with humor, I guess, because I don't consider it fun. I remember cartoons on TV that were old, pre–Mickey Mouse cartoons. These mysterious black-faced mice. I saw new prints of old Bull Durham ads with these coon scenes, genre scenes, sitting on the porch with all the animals . . . Whatever else they might be, they were also intended to be hilariously funny. The black person was the butt of all kinds of jokes from Vaudeville to Hollywood on up. Where are we now? I think we've stopped being funny." — Kara Walker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I love her work! More people need to get acquainted with Miss Walker!