Black People : Kappa Alpa Psi (History Of A Nupe)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KappaAlphaPsi, Apr 5, 2006.

1. KappaAlphaPsi

KappaAlphaPsi Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    From our history back in 1903 was the first sponsoring
    of greek letters the first of our knowledge of a black
    organization with the purpose of strengthening the black
    voice was formed in Bloomington at the University of Indiana.
    Originally Kappa Alpha Psi was referred to as Kappa Aplha Nu.
    We as new generation brothrs have no history as to why
    greek letters were chosen.

Kappa Alpha Psu was founded in 1911 the pure porpose
    of the organization was originally to unit blacks to an
    achievement never though possible and unite black collegemen
    of culture,patriotism and honor.

Our founder Elder Diggs was a gruaduate and teacher in indiana.
    Was a lieutenant also became a captain in ROTC he also helped
    blacks be able to become enlisted in the Indiana National Guard.

Founders
    Ezra Alexander practiced medicine recieved his M.D. degree at Indiana University was very prolific in indiana politics helped blacks in the indiana
    community get housing from what I was told and assisted in the movement
    for blacks to be able to register for the indiana national guard.

Byron Armstrong recieved a masters degree and a doctorate in philosophy during the world war 1 era he was an investigator for the department of
    labor studied and taught philosophy-mathmatics and sociology.

Henry Asher received his LLB at Detroit college of law

Marcus Blakemore started an electrical engineering company in indiana also was a dentist as well and served in world war 1

Paul Caine very prolific to say the least help start the original Kappa Alpha Nu yet he also help start the gamma-delta and zeta chapters we know today. He published a cook book in 1919 had his own catering company as well.

George Edmonds helped the founding brothers in establishing Kappa Alpha Psi
    when the organizations name changed in 1911 yet left school to take care of his family and became a coal miner.

Guy Lewis was a chemist recieved a degree in chemistry also practiced dentisrty receiving his DDS from indiana dental school was very church going and is though were most of our ritual standards originally came from.

Edward Irvin was a successful journalist also was in world war 1 was very prolific in promoting black basketball and track athletes in indiana he was also a active member of masonic and odd fellow lodges the brother owned and operated the afro american manufacturing company in chicago.

John Lee was a sergeant and a gunner in the war his unit was the first all black unit to open fire on an enemy in war he organized and for a few years was president of the fairview gold club the first black golf club in pennsylvania he also started a catering company and was the vice president of the mutual emergency union a mutual aid company in philly.

My chapter was founded in 1933 were the 36th chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi that has won many awards such as chapter of the year/qiz bowl champions/1st place in homecoming step shows.
    Positions that are currently established:
    Polemarch
    Vice Polemarch
    Keeper Of Records
    Keeper of the Exchequer
    Strategus
    Lt. Strategus
    Chapter Advisor

Every new term usually has a new name
    Saying that since i came in during 2003
    We named ourselves Reasons Why N.O.T.T.
    Just the signify that we made it and our
    commitment and dedication was all worth it.

Its an organization founded by some of the greatest brothers in there fields we try to keep that tradition and maintain what our founders started not all join for the right reasons not all know why they join I cant speak for them yet I joined for my family and myself my father and my grandfather are both Kappa's I was told alot and I read alot about the organization spoke with and pretty much new all the members before I decided to pledge. I love it the bond of unity the drive and determination yes we do get wild sometimes we do have fun yet we all maintain our grades and our high focus and commitment to Kappa Alpha Psi...We network with each other and with others on some levels and we not need to be open to the public we need not prove what we have done as long as we know what has been done and the people who we have helped know thats all that really matters to us.

We need not be televised on national tv but we need the support of all black in general for our one common goal which is to unit black men of culture,patriotism and honor. Define our love and goals and reach out to those who need us.

I will no longer discuss topics on the frats and soros just wanted to give a perception of what we are about and where we have come from I personally an involved in after school programs with youth in the area..I and other brother spend alot of time with school and other school activities we are involved in. I know my father is an Alum. and they perform some community activities yet we are strengthing our communities one step at a time...

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    Preach NUPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All members of KAPPA are required to do things like this at some point. There are some that will criticize anyway. We step up. Please demonstrate how you have

3. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    How do Kappa's fulfill the part of the mission dealing with patriotism? What does that mean to the "new generation" of frat brothers?

4. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

I dont see a difference in what the definition has always been. Please elaborate further

:?:

5. uplift19

Ratings:
    +12
    I didn't ask about the definition, I asked how you fulfill that part of your mission? (i.e. goals, objectives, activities, etc.)

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

There have always been traditional things we have done. As time goes on, these things are upgraded/modernized, to fit the times

Various charities, political, fundraisings are require things. You plug in where you fit in

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Question

Drugs and AIDS is present in the Black community. Each has had a devastating impact. But so has poverty in the Black community. Kemestry, you're in Detroit. Compared to any other city in the State of Michigan, Detroit has the largest population of African Americans living there. It was announced recently on Oprah, that Detroit is the most impoverished city in the United States. As such, this hurts a great number of African Americans that live there. Detroit could become the next New Orleans. Using the Kappas as an example, what is your chapter doing to combat against this growing problem?

Queenie :spinstar:

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    LMAO......

Is it me, or do these Brothers seem like they are related to Condaleeza Rice? :pie:

9. uplift19

Ratings:
    +12
    Let me help clarify my question one last time. If this is crossing "secrecy" lines, please let me know.

In organizational development and planning, you start with a vision and mission. The vision is the ideal of the community you are trying to impact, and the mission is your purpose for existence. Patriotism was mentioned in a part of your org's "purpose for existence."

From the mission, you develop goals--stated intentions of what you plan to accomplish to satisfy your mission. The goals are more general intentions, usually qualitative in nature, and are ultimately broken down into strategies or objectives. These are quantifiable, time-speficic steps to meeting a goal. After identifying objectives there is an evaulation and feedback stage that allows those who benefited from the organization's activities to let the org know how and to what degree they found the organization useful. Surveys and other evaulation tools are used to monitor this...and thus we get back to the goal stage as we re-evaluate the feasibility of the initial goals and start the process all over again.

It is within this framework that I ask my question. A one line generalization of fundraising and political parties doesn't quite answer it for me.

With that in mind, I ask, How do Kappa's fulfill the part of the mission dealing with patriotism? This term means different things to different people, as you know, so even a definition does not quite answer the question either (in case you were intending to give me one). Your goals and activities will reveal how you define it.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

The problem in Detroit goes back decades. The auto industry encouraged males that were strong and had reached the age of 16 to drop out of school and go get paid. Thousands did. It created the drop out culture. Add to that the crack epidemic, which spiraled the oow birth rate from 15-20% to 60-+70%, and the cycle of poverty is now entrenched. Many of those good factory jobs are now permenantly shipped overseas. It started 1st in Flint and now has spread throughout the state.

Kappas have formed job banks, training, continuing education, scholarship/grants banks, tutorial programs for math SAT/ACT exams, mentoring programs for at risk youth, etc, etc, etc. Other fraternities are doing that as well.

I organized one of the 1st donations to Share House for battered women. My brothers followed my lead.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does NUPE mean

2. nupe meaning

3. what does nupe stand for

4. why do kappas say yo,
  5. Why Are Kappas called Nupes,
  6. definition of a nupe,
  7. what does nupe stand for kappa alpha psi,
  8. why does kappas say yo,
  9. what it means to be a nupe,
  10. the nupe history