Honoring Black Ancestors : Kapo (1911 - 1989)

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009

“I was born 1911 the 10th day of February in Byndloss, St. Catherine. My father’s name was David Reynolds, my mother’s name before marriage was Rebecca Morgan. My father married her when I was nine years old. At the age of 12, I received the Spirit of Conversion. I was then reading in Fifth Standard. At the age of 16 I left school; I was not bad at reading. I did not love drawing. Drawing days I used to prefer to go and work in the garden. Before the death of all my sisters and brothers, we all used to play together, go to Church and school. I can remember as far back as my creeping days, and forty years ago when I started as a self-taught artist, scraping on a stone with homemade tools, never having seen before a piece of sculpture in any medium. Then I started working steadfastly without any instruction. Happily for me guiding lights appeared in my life – a number of prominent men who took interest in my work and encouraged me.” — Kapo

Mallica “Kapo” Reynolds, charismatic Zion Revivalist leader, the Patriarch Bishop of the St. Michael Tabernacle, was known to most Jamaicans simply as Kapo, a cultural force who played an indelible role in the defining of Jamaican art –

http://nationalgalleryofjamaica.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/mallica-kapo-reynolds-1911-1989/

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back