Black Sports : K-1 (Kickboxing)

K1 will never become a mainstream sport if it remains exclusively on PPV. In fact I believe that PPV is what made boxing a "second hand" sport. Boxing used to rival baseball, football, and basketball in popularity. It used to regularly appear on TV, and while the major fights happened on PPV, anyone could watch top fighters without paying for it. However, this died out in late 80s (as NBC & ABC pulled out of the fight game) as fights became available only on cable or PPV. This decreased the audience for the sport. Even worse the PPV are expensive averaging $50 a pop, which is hard for everyone to manage. Personally I don't get all PPV events because I can't afford them. I usually wait for the replay a week later. However PPV events usually have 4-5 fights on them, where the replay only shows the main event. In cases where I'm interested in 2 or 3 of the fights on a PPV event (which is pretty often), if I can't afford to pay, then I lose out. Hopefully for K1 fans, the sport will eventually start appearing regularly on TV. Boxing at least has a fan base from when it was free, K1 doesn't even have that.

That's true. Even the kickboxing that I see now and then on cable doesn't have the type of fighters as K-1. Some of the bouts are good, but the best fights are on PPV. Hopefully we will be able to view fights on TV or at least basic cable. Usually it is around $50.00 to view. Luckily I am able to see it at my cousins house for free, or I'd be missing out also. I hope it does become more mainstream because i think that a lot of people would enjoy watching.

i saw k1 today for the first time. ive rarely seen kick boxing, but i love it every time i watch. the match i saw was former champ rick "the jet" rufus (not sure of spelling) v.s canadian mcdonald. rufus lost, he is 36 hoever mcdonald is 27,

i saw rufus fight in his prime, he was nice, deadly- ever heard of "the ice man" jean eves-tereault? kick boxing is much more popular in canada. plus more brothers are involved now,

it used to be predominately white(at least in the western world). i will say white kick boxers do much better thatn white boxers lol. ive seen rufus woop some broths with no fear, however he lost to a black dude today mcdonald.

is it true tyson is getting into k-1?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back