Black Sports : K-1 (Kickboxing)

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by kente417mojo, Mar 23, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey, does anyone watch K-1. I'm starting to really dig this sport. I can't wait until the next one. If you are a fan, who is you favorite? Remy Bonjowski, Carter Williams, Bob Sapp, Botha, Ray Sefo? Hey, Shannon Briggs is going to debut on March 27th. I think this one is going to be good. What do you guys think?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i really haven't gotton into it but watched a part of it
    so it's cool huh !?

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Believe it or not, despite my absolute love of boxing, I have never been into kickboxing. Maybe it is because it rarely comes on free TV? Maybe it is because I rarely see knockouts (although I don't have to see a KO in boxing to enjoy it)? I don't know, it is just boring to me for some reason. :sleep: Perhaps you can tell me when a good match is coming on Kente, I might give it a chance.

4. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
  5. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey Rich and panafrica and Dreamfunk. Thanks for responding. I like the sport Rich. Dreamfunk....you hit it right on the head. They are some big dudes. Have you watched any of the tournaments? I think it's really good. They have some interesting fighters too. Panafrica, the next tournament is on March 27th. I'm not sure if it's coming on PPV or what yet, but the last few that I have seen were on PPV In Demand. I hear you as far as it not being on TV a lot. That does make it hard to get into it. I love kickboxing but it is frustrating because I always have to catch a match by chance because they are so rare. You guys should check it out if it's coming on PPV. It's pretty entertaining. I think Mike Tyson is supposed to be joining, though his legs look too short to kick anyone. There are some former boxers also participating a lot now. Francois Botha, Shannon Briggs and Mike Tyson maybe for starters. I don't know if you guys have ever heard of Bob Sapp. He used to play football. He's a K-1 kickboxer now. The guy is huge. He gets tired really fast though, that's his weakness. Like I said, there are some interesting fighters, so you should check it out. I think you guys would enjoy it. I'll try to see if it's going to be on TV.

http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/home/home.asp

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    K1 will never become a mainstream sport if it remains exclusively on PPV. In fact I believe that PPV is what made boxing a "second hand" sport. Boxing used to rival baseball, football, and basketball in popularity. It used to regularly appear on TV, and while the major fights happened on PPV, anyone could watch top fighters without paying for it. However, this died out in late 80s (as NBC & ABC pulled out of the fight game) as fights became available only on cable or PPV. This decreased the audience for the sport. Even worse the PPV are expensive averaging $50 a pop, which is hard for everyone to manage. Personally I don't get all PPV events because I can't afford them. I usually wait for the replay a week later. However PPV events usually have 4-5 fights on them, where the replay only shows the main event. In cases where I'm interested in 2 or 3 of the fights on a PPV event (which is pretty often), if I can't afford to pay, then I lose out. Hopefully for K1 fans, the sport will eventually start appearing regularly on TV. Boxing at least has a fan base from when it was free, K1 doesn't even have that.

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    That's true. Even the kickboxing that I see now and then on cable doesn't have the type of fighters as K-1. Some of the bouts are good, but the best fights are on PPV. Hopefully we will be able to view fights on TV or at least basic cable. Usually it is around $50.00 to view. Luckily I am able to see it at my cousins house for free, or I'd be missing out also. I hope it does become more mainstream because i think that a lot of people would enjoy watching.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    bob sapp is a beast...he murders catz out there....
    one love
    khasm

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    3 hours of K-1 came on ESPN2 last night. They are starting to show it more & more (usually after Friday Night Fights). I suggest fans of the sport check ESPN on Fridays from time to time. Some of the highlight KOs on the opening credits looked pretty good....I might have to tune in sometime.

10. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i saw k1 today for the first time. ive rarely seen kick boxing, but i love it every time i watch. the match i saw was former champ rick "the jet" rufus (not sure of spelling) v.s canadian mcdonald. rufus lost, he is 36 hoever mcdonald is 27,

i saw rufus fight in his prime, he was nice, deadly- ever heard of "the ice man" jean eves-tereault? kick boxing is much more popular in canada. plus more brothers are involved now,

it used to be predominately white(at least in the western world). i will say white kick boxers do much better thatn white boxers lol. ive seen rufus woop some broths with no fear, however he lost to a black dude today mcdonald.

is it true tyson is getting into k-1?