Black People : Just wait a cotton picking minute!!

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Oh, when I saw this title, it brought a smile to my face!

My mother was a Georgia Girl and she used the "cotton pickin' terminology, in VARIOUS forms, all the time! :lol:

"..lost yo cotton pickin' mind" to "cotton pickin' minute"; and, sometimes, when she was ESPECIALLY frustrated/angry with us, she even called us "Li'l Cotton-Pickuhs!" lol Lord, I can hear her now...."You, Lil Cotton-Pickuh! Come here!"

Now, this was always especially funny to us when she said this because none of her children had ever picked any Cotton in our lives! LOL!

However, as for how LONG a "cotton pickin' minute" is, I would have to say that it must be rather QUICK.....During slavery, the SLOW Cotton Picker sure would have gained some lashes on the back and even in Share-Cropping and personal ownership, slow cotton pickers were not tolerated for long.

I saw my mother actually demonstrate the art of Cotton Picking for me, and she was still LIGHTNING fast with it even after all those years away from that chore! ---Not only is SPEED an issue but also PRECISION because if you don't know what you're doing, those thorns will STICK YOU!

And thank you for the memories! :toast:

Wow, ty cherryblossom, this brought to my memory that my second wife was the best picker in her family, and all her brothers hated it, for real!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back