Black People : "Just My Opinion" An Asylum For Sneak Attacks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Sep 2, 2005.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I've seen this a few times--people preceed a disagreement with "This is just my opinion". These five little words allow them to make statements against which no one can say anything or question in anyway because the statement was "just my opinion." Thisis a sneaky, underhanded ploy which effectively puts an end to reasonable discussion of the issues and topics. Someone might here argue that they are not intentionally trying to do this when they say something is just their opinion. It's not about intentions. It's about effects.

I've also seen people diverting honest discussion by taking things personally. Someone makes a statement and the other person takes it as a personal attack and starts defending him/herself rather than dealing with the issue at hand. This is the primary way that we go off topic and threads tend to veer off into circular, go-no-where arguments.

Can we stop this?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In a sense every comment made is someone's opinion. Thus if someone makes a statement they should be able to support or defend it.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    True. A lot of times people use the fact that they are stating an opinion as a shield. Instead of suporting and defending their statements they say "That was just my opinion" and take offense if anyone challenges their statements or asks for clarification. That is not fair play.

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I agree totally, that this statement hides duplicity. I was once taught that the "Devil's Doctrine is hidden within opinions".

If people were to focus more on learning and spreading the TRUTH about things, instead of how they feel about things, the world would be a far more enlightened place.

PEACE

5. Earftones

Earftones Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting point. If someone wants to be argumentative however, they are going to be just that. Maybe another way to look at it would be to say that is a way to avoid confrontation. I dont know, its just my opinion.

6. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree with Earftones, people who are trying to be argumentative will do just that. They'll nitpick whatever a person has to say regardless, so sometimes people have to let them know they don't see themselves as an authoritative speaker, they're just giving an opinion. Some people nitpick people's post just to draw attention to themselves and others are really trying to share an "opinion" Amazing how black folks can get stuck on five harmless words and make an issue out of it.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd ! :yo:

8. Earftones

Earftones Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I feel you on the need for clarification. It is sometimes hard to read the emotion with letters on a screen. The emphasis on certain words and attitudes are sometimes created by the reader. Now I have seen posts where it is obvious that someone is shouting. All Caps and such. But how can you tell it is a personal attack with those 5 words? Not being difficult here. But the truth is the truth, there is no denying that, but dont we all have an opinion about that truth?

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This is where clarification comes in. I'm not saying those five words are an attack. I am saying they are used to keep people from voicing disagreements and sharing knowledge.

For instance if someone says something and then tacks those five words on it I may then proceed to show how my opinion differs from theirs. That's when the person says "I'm just voicing my opinion. Why are you nitpicking?" In this way they have voiced their opinion but denied me the right to do the same. That's why I say this is not fair play.

It's never the words but how the words are used that creates a problem. Words cannot be used in an inimical way and continue to be thought of as innocent little words.

10. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    This is just my opinion, but usually my opinions are always better than other people's opinions.