Science and Technology : Just how much of our science and technology is faked

I was comparing the level of technology of 1908 machines and emphasizing the change in 30 years to the P-38 which was still a piston engine not a jet. Another factor affecting price is quantity of manufacture. The Model-T was a consumer product. The Wright flyer was not, the P-38 was not, a Lear Jet is not.

The price of the Model-T went down from 1908 and 14+ million were ultimately manufactured. As far as I know not even 50,000 of any model of plane have ever been made.
Apples and oranges will have to wait until later.

Apples and oranges will have to wait until later.
Since apples and oranges are not man made objects they do not really apply but microwave ovens and window air conditioners could serve.
Bathtub Curves would apply to both though the function and physics of the technologies are totally different.

Comparing accurate data on makes and models of different ovens would be relevant to determining their True Cost and the same for air conditioners. But manufacturers do not supply that data and most people don't know what a bathtub curve is.

So we wait for the ultimate crash of consumerism.

Since apples and oranges are not man made objects they do not really apply
If only I'd known you took that so literally.
No wonder you didn't understand. Why didn't you say so?

Comparing accurate data on makes and models of different ovens would be relevant to determining their True Cost and the same for air conditioners.
And what separates the different makes and models? They all operate on the same principles in their own purpose no matter how each is prettied up with various bells and whistles or facia plates. They all will give and an est'd power usage as well as a min. power supply needed. And beyond that the vagaries each unit is subjected to in it's individual environment will dictate it's longevity in working life and is outside the controlled test settings graphs and charts are made in.

I think the more pertinent question is what possesses a consumer to throw away that product instead of making what generally are minor repairs of say an LED board or a thermocoupler or a fan motor or a belt or switch? Why? They're all easy fixes. And all easily fit within that bottom flat line of the bathtub curve of life expectancy under the heading of care and maintainance.

WARNING: do not dig into the inners of either ac's or microwaves without learning to discharge the capacitor!

But usually ac's and microwaves are cheaply fixed and all will continue to work just fine after. So the question remains why do consumers throw them away only to go buy another that does the same thing? I can't remember the last time I had to buy a microwave it was so long ago and the same goes for an ac except I've never had to buy one of those because they too can be pick up for free along the road.
So what is it with consumers that compels them to throw away and then buy?
Theres an ever growing list of groups that offers free help to those who are not interested in continuing that inane loop of buy ,thrown away, buy, throw away.......rainse and repeat.
Just type in fix it.

WARNING: do not dig into the inners of either ac's or microwaves without learning to discharge the capacitor!
LOL

I worked for Panasonic in the 70's.

One technician zapped himself with a microwave. He was laid out on the floor when we found him. Now I own a Panasonic combo micrwave/convection oven. But no reliability data though.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back