Black People : JUs' 2 Get You Thinkin

Blackbird

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
Greetings Fam,

Once again, my lil'bitty mind has been turning. Also, again, I start by saying I hope I'm not offending or stepping on toes or the like.

I was wondering if an online community, such as Destee.com, can be an actual community within itself?

What are some of the possible advantages of an on-line community?
What are some of the possible pit-falls of an on-line community?

One last question: Has being a member of Destee.com benefitted you, in terms of networking?

Blackbird

Online communities CAN be better than real ones in some ways. I was never into the net thing, but about 1 year before joining Destee, I joined my first forum site. I mostly fought with people, but a few months later I made a freind....after that, I hve made some more and nearly got a girlfreind out of it. I have had more contact with females and like minded black people in the 13 months I have been online than in the nearly quarter century preceeding that. I also had tonns of battles and left two sites.

They do operate like communities cause you go thru the same things.....but you can find people similar to you, if you are a bit of an outcast, much easier than in real life becuase you have access to the world, not just your neighbourhood and people you see and work/school or recreation activities/bars/clubs.

This thread will come into its own eventually because you ask some great questions Brother Blackbird. I'm sure, as I am, members are reflecting on them and as they add to what Mr.Blak has contributed, we will begin to see the value in what we are capable of doing with this advanced technology--the internet. Let us learn how to maximize the opportunities and not be afraid to take full advantage of the resources.

Peace,
Queenie :spinstar:

Blackbird said:
Greetings Fam,

Once again, my lil'bitty mind has been turning. Also, again, I start by saying I hope I'm not offending or stepping on toes or the like.

Hello Brother Blackbird ... thank you for starting this thread, i apologize for taking so long to respond. Please don't ever feel like you are stepping on toes when it comes to questions or concerns regarding this community. Everything here has always been a "community" effort and threads such as this one, simply insures that it will always remain that way.

Blackbird said:
I was wondering if an online community, such as Destee.com, can be an actual community within itself?

Brother Blackbird, i think i need a definition of "community," perhaps listing the differences between an online community and an actual one. Short of seeing each other every day, i don't see much difference between the two.

Blackbird said:
What are some of the possible advantages of an on-line community?

1. Interacting with others with no regard to geographical location.
2. Oftentimes, folk feel more comfortable sharing with "strangers."
3. A wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and encouragement at your disposal, 24/7.
4. A great sense of "coming together."
5. Surrounding yourself with others, who basically, have like minds.
6. Can interact without ever leaving the comfort or safety of your home.
7. Present your business, book, etc., to folk you probably would've never met.
8. Take advantage of online classes, perhaps even hosting your own.
9. To be embraced by your own is a beautiful thing, and we do that here too.
10. Sharing with others that have experienced the same as you.
11. Discussing the issues that face us all, and trying to resolve them.
12. Learning about yourself and your people, i've certainly done that here!
13. i'm certain there are more ...

Blackbird said:
What are some of the possible pit-falls of an on-line community?

1. The only pitfall i've seen, is the same one that manifests itself in our actual communities, and that is our reluctance to financially support (trust) each other, but again, this is not limited to online communities.

Blackbird said:
One last question: Has being a member of Destee.com benefitted you, in terms of networking?

Yes, i've met many wonderful people over the years.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back