Black People : JUNETEENTH - the holiday not the bk

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by daroc, Jun 21, 2004.

1. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    jw- has anyone else heard about this....i couldnt get the link to work so here is the whole article....

Monday, Jun 21, 2004, 11:30 am EST

Juneteenth Holiday Spreading Across U.S.
    Associated Press

-----------------------------

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Although the Juneteenth holiday first came about across the Red River, Oklahoma is one 13 states to celebrate the June 19 holiday that commemorates the end of slavery in Texas.
    With neighborhood barbecues, basketball tournaments, parades and concerts, Oklahomans plan to celebrate the end of slavery in Texas.

Although she`s leaving the state, Jean Byrd didn`t want to miss the Juneteenth celebration in Stillwater.

"This is a celebration of freedom," Byrd said Thursday as movers packed her house. "I couldn`t leave before I celebrated it one more time."

Like many Oklahomans, Byrd knew little about Juneteenth a few decades ago, when the popular Texas holiday spread to other states.

Today, Oklahoma and 12 other states have joined Texas in making Juneteenth an official state holiday. Some have talked about making the Juneteenth a national holiday.

The first Juneteenth celebration occurred in 1865, in Galveston, Texas, when Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger landed with news that the Civil War had ended and, along with it, slavery.

President Lincoln had issued the emancipation proclamation two and a half years earlier, but the union had no power to enforce it in Texas until Granger arrived.

Three decades later, black towns in Oklahoma were popping up and an effort to make Oklahoma an all-black state went as far as Congress.

Land prospectors advertised cheap land and freedom.

"It was an opportunity for them to escape from the racism in the South, an opportunity to prove themselves to whites," said Hannibal B. Johnson, historian and author of "Acres of Aspiration: The All Black Towns in Oklahoma."

About 50 black town sites remain, while only about a dozen are still thriving communities.

Cheryl Coleman, children`s librarian at Oklahoma City`s Ralph Ellison Library, said the popularity of Juneteenth has increased in the last few years.

"I`d say it might be related to black consciousness and the desire to form a black identity; to emphasize our identity and to say, `Here we are and this is our holiday,`" said Coleman, who will be working Saturday at the library`s annual Juneteenth celebration, attended by about 2,500 people last year.

In Clinton, Barbara Hayes is getting ready for a hog roast. Last year the East Clinton Coalition`s first Juneteenth whole-hog roast was marred by a melee the night before between police officers and some black residents.

At least 10 people were arrested and some of them later accused police officers of harassment.

"We`re the town that supposedly had the riot last year," Hayes said. "We`re trying to stay on top of that this year. We met with the policemen and we have a plan if anything starts," she said.

Roosevelt Milton, president of the Oklahoma City NAACP chapter, also emphasized the importance of teaching future generations about slavery.

"The legacy of slavery is important to everyone in America, and I think Juneteenth just basically reminds us that black people were delivered by the Civil War," Milton said.

"Unless we expose the truth about the African American slave experience, I don`t think any Americans can really be free. So we celebrate because we don`t want to forget," he said.

2. daroc

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    should it be a national holiday?

3. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Thats great!! If you look into the Trinidad Carnival and all the other celibrations (Caribana, Brazil Carnival, etc...) they all have roots in slavery.

http://www.sknvibes.com/local/Carnival/Origins.cfm

This Juneteenth thing has to do with the END OF SLAVERY which was a great event in history. I aint American but I definitely think that needs to be celebrated on a national scale. It would really help keep the younger generations involved in their own history and culture and give others an opportunity to see some black american traditions they dont normally see.

4. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Yes we are aware of juneteenth, my husband and daughter go to a festival every year.

5. daroc

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    queentswana: is there anything about it that you can tell me that the article left out?

6. rasheed

rasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    working for Paradise (Jannah)
    Ratings:
    +4
    daroc,

Yes, Juneteeth is big in these parts. We had a big celebration here in Lawton, OK also. The article you published was close to me because i was born in and have lived most of my life in Oklahoma and have lived in Oklahoma City and know those places and some of the people.

Texas of course is the origin and the celebration is based on people finding out late about freedom. But the focus is on liberation and being free and going for self......It's great!!!!

Our past slavery and our endurance and triumph over it are ours to be used by any means possible to help to catapult us into our bright future....

Peace and Blessings

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    African, I'll need to consult some almanacs, or perhaps find something on the web regarding this, but African Americans once celebrated EMANCIPATION DAY all over the SOUTH, from RECONSTRUCTION to about the 1950's... Then, as you might imagine, the ancestors had some other bidness to attend to called THE MOVEMENT, and like a lot of things we usta do, Emancipation Day gave way to a NEW DAY, and fell of our RADAR... I will look up some info on Emancipation Day, and return to this thread... Hope some of you will, also, look up and find something to bring to the table of our understanding...

BTW, Oklahoma is a monster of a state for AFrican Americans, and deserves a great deal of study on our parts...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    This page gives a nice explanation of how Juneteenth and Emanicipation Day are actually related.. Actuall, folk in different parts of the country called it by different names...

http://www.africanaheritage.com/Juneteenth_Emancipation.asp

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. daroc

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    the only way it can become a national observance/holiday is if president bush says so

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    No, Daroc, that's not completely true... A groundswell of public enthusiasm for such a day will COMPELL a Bush, or whomever is office, to make the day a national holiday celebrated by all...

Now, African Americans can make it a NATIONAL AFrican American HOLY DAY if we will come togehter, and celebrate it on our own... This troubles me about us sometimes... It seems we gots to have somebody elses approval for whatever it is we do... What's interesting is that CULTURALLY, African American culture is the DOMINANT culture in the United States... Whatever we do culturally, others are sure to follow behind us... Now, apply that knowledge to our celebrating JUNETEENTH or EMANCIPATION DAY every year, as only African Americans can celebrate...(smile!) Be a hot day all 'cross 'merica...

Peace!
    Isaiah