Black People : June 16th 1976 - Youth day - South Africa

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

In 1976 the government introduced the compulsory use of Afrikaans as a medium of instruction... Circuit inspectors and principals received the directive: "It has been decided that for the sake of uniformity English and Afrikaans will be used as media of instruction in our schools on a 50-50 basis."
    It was cold and overcast as pupils gathered at schools across Soweto on 16 June. At an agreed time, they set off for Orlando West Secondary School in Vilakazi Street, with thousands streaming in from all directions. The planned to march from the school to the Orlando Stadium.
    "By 10.30am, over 5 000 students had gathered on Vilakazi Street and more were arriving every minute,"
    Police formed a wall facing the pupils, warning them to disperse - an order met with resistance. Teargas was fired into the crowd and police dogs released. In the chaos, children ran back and forth, throwing stones at the police - who fired more teargas.
    Then came the first shot - straight into the crowd, without warning. Other policemen took up the signal and more shots were fired.
    Anti-riot vehicles poured into Soweto, roadblocks were erected at all entrances, the army was placed on alert and helicopters hovered overhead, dropping teargas canisters and shooting.
    The next day revealed the carnage: dead bodies and burnt-out shops and vehicles.
    Most of the victims were under 23.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/history/soweto-150606.htm

2. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thank You for Sharing this info. SiS Zulile!

M.E.
    :hearts2:

3. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    I would probably end up in prison

If I ever went there. For good this time. Each and every one of them left there should be taken out and slaughtered. Man, women and children. And some of our people actually beieve the myth that these are HUMANS. they are no more related to AFRIKANS than a PINK LAB RAT is.:nono::nono:

4. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    A horrific day for us, for our children. I still cant wrap my mind around it. :cry: High school students. 1976. yesterday.

TTTC, sometimes I look at us adults and think.. why are we here? have we conformed so much? Are our youth dying for nothing while we sit by and talk talk talk? fine, half our kids.. the future of US - are in dire straights - the other half in la-la land. is there really a middle ground which we all stand on.. precariously? Dangerously lacking in security or stability?

*sigh*

5. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    SiS Zulile....

I'm doing something right now I sense IS that "middle ground".......FEELING

That for me is the bridge and I sense many adults have stopped FEELING. We try and teach the youth how NOT to FEEL, why they SHOULD NOT FEEL or How they ought FEEL.

It was FEELINGS that supported those youth taking appropriate ACTION. FEELING angered at the INJUSTICES being imposed upon them. THEY DID NOTHING WRONG!
    It was the collective power of that anger that brought them ought in droves yet because whitey cannot manage their FEELINGS of fear and inferiority, they resort to violence.

Our generation no longer seem to allow themselves to FEEL anything or if they do....it is done in a very controlled and scholarly manner.....the wh(r)ight way....When that fails....people resort to violence yet for us...that violence is self-directed as opposed to other directed...the way white folk do it.

Our children are in dire straights or in la la land.....confused, misused, abused while the adults stand around and TALK TO THEM...as opposed to LISTENING TO THEM....their pain, fears, anger. so they are not able to get the support and guidance they need on how to channel those feelings in ways which help them....so the feelings linger and they are hurt by them.
    Make any sense:?:

That's my take and I recognize that's only A PIECE of the middle ground, yet, I sense it is a major piece. Adults engage in addictive behaviors to manage FEELINGS....so we drink, smoke, gamble, sex, talk, talk talk, in an effort to NOT FEEL. I say....OWN those FEELINGS ....

THEN....let's work to make them work for us and not against us.

Those children did NOTHING WRONG. They were ANGRY and they let it show. They had a clear plan and objective. They ought not be held accountable for someone else's b.s behaviors.

"the time for preaching and teaching is through, we got to deliver" (Bob Marley)

M.E.
    :hearts2:

6. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    while we talk our children all over the african continent are still being taught in languages they dont speak at home... french, english, portugese, afrikaans... It is good to commemorate this day - Lest we Forget - but not much has actually changed.

7. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

Yes sister. Great answer. And when they dont speak "proper" english or whatever language, we talk about em and degrade them. SMH I have long felt that the taking of ones language is at least as effective in enslaving as the physical part. However, WE can make a difference. If not us, then whom? I know that I have tp learn several languages in readyness for my homecoming. Lets all try and impact as many youngsters as possible and encourage the elders to do the same.

8. LovesDestiny

LovesDestiny Well-Known Member MEMBER

Finance & Endless Possibilities
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wow! Sis Z! Thank you sooooo much for sharing this! I agree with Sis TTTC. We have become so very desensitized and I am no exception...maybe not as much as some but I still have some changing to do as well...and my poor children...smh! The only way they will know is if I tell it AND hold them responsible for their understanding!!!!!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1976 youth day pictures