Black Christians : Judge Not?

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by Kemetstry, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    A local pastor refused to give an unwed mother's child a special ceremony in front of the congregation at Sunday service. I believe it was a dedication ceremony. She is now crying the blues in television in front of the church. Her argument: They had no problems taking my money, what cant they not judge and take my child?

Is this right? Scripturally correct?

2. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    What is a dedication ceremony?

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Yeah, wondering the same thing.

4. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Kemestry I don't think there is any scriptural basis for this.
    There is no scriptural evidence for this. I have never seen anywhere in the bible a child called an illigitimate child. I am all for marriage. The bible says children are an heritage unto the Lord...Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward...Psalm 127.3 no distinction here. This is insensitivity as the child did ask to be born to an unwed mother. My church dedicates babies "illigitimate" or not. The problem with this kind of hypocrisy is that there are members who are living lives that would shame the demons in hell and the pastor would not think twice before he places them in a position of responsibility in the church. The problem with some churches is that they are nothing more than money making machines...they take the moral high road when it suits them.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    [​IMG]

On Sunday, the Perfecting Church, which is ran by Pastor Marvin Winans, will hold a special blessing of its congregation’s children. Unfortunately one child will not be allowed to participate.
    Charity Grace’s son, 2-year-old Joshua, is not allowed to participate in the church’s dedication ceremony.
    “I want to instill values and morals in my son based upon the word of God,” said Grace.
    According to My Fox Detroit, Grace called the church on Tuesday to make arrangements. “I told them I was not married and that’s where everything just broke loose.” Grace said a church official told her Pastor Winans’ policy is that he doesn’t bless children of unwed mothers in front of his congregation

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013...ss-children-unwed-mothers-front-congregation/

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

Then you haven't read the scripture. The word used was bastard. And there were things associated with this type of union. So perhaps you need to reread the bible again. :10900:

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

See phillyjames response

8. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Who are we to judge, judgement belongs to God. When Jesus blessed the children how do we know that some were not bastards..the thing about pointing fingers is that three are always pointing back at us. Kemestry I am all for marriage and children which are conceived through that union. I believe that the pastor could have blessed the baby and call it a day. How many were in that congregation whose life was not what God wanted. One of the characteristics of Jesus was compassion. I would hope that the same pastor is living an upright life. Since many of them are claiming to be something they are not. Anyway K.. I made my point and I have nothing more to say.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

That isn't an absolute. The scripture calls on us all the time to make judgments.

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    .Pastor Marvin Winans Won't Bless Child Born Out Of Wedlock At Church: Report
    Posted: 10/17/2013 5:49 pm EDT

Video, Pastor Marvin Winans, Marvin Winans, Marvin Winans Babies Born Out Of Wedlock, Marvin Winans Blessing, Marvin Winans Blessing Ceremony, Marvin Winans Children Born Out Of Wedlock, Marvin Winans Unwed Mothers, Pastor Marvin Winans Won't Bless Babies, Perfecting Church, Winans Family, Black Voices News

[​IMG]
    Getty
    The Perfecting Church, home to famed gospel singer and pastor Marvin Winans, is having a special dedication ceremony for the congregation's youngest members on Sunday.
    Charity Grace, a Detroiter who recently started attending services at the church on East Nevada Street, wanted her only son, two-year-old Joshua Grace, to share in the blessings.
    "I want to instill values and morals in my son based upon the word of God," she told Fox 2 Detroit.
    But when she called Perfecting Church on Tuesday to sign up Joshua for the ceremony, Charity said she was told by a woman elected in the church that Pastor Winans has a strict policy -- he won't bless the babies of unwed mothers in front of the congregation, Fox 2 Detroit reported.
    According to a New York Times report, 36 percent of mothers who reported giving birth in 2011 weren't married.
    Grace said she felt degraded by the pastor's decision. She's hoping he reconsiders, even if it means having her son dedicated during the week by a church elder.
    Until then, she told Fox 2 Detroit she has no plans to return to Perfecting Church.
    "I absolutely would not set foot back in the church right now because I feel like they look down upon me and my kind, meaning single moms and unwed mothers," Grace said.
    Pope Francis recently said in May that the Catholic Church should bless children born out of wedlock, because their mothers chose life over abortion.
    “'Look at this girl who had had the courage to carry her pregnancy to term. ... "What does she find? A closed door," he said, according to Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano. "This is not good pastoral zeal, it distances people from the Lord and does not open doors."
    Dr. Jacqui Lewis is the Senior Minister of Middle Collegiate Church in Manhattan's East Village. She told The Huffington Post she was surprised that a child "of any kind" would be denied a blessing from a church, and referenced the Gospel of Mark, 10:10-16:
    "People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them."​

"You want to know what the Kingdom of God is like?" she asked. "Check out the children. Check out their innocence, check out their wide eyed wonder, check out their acknowledgement that they are dependent on others."
    Dr. Lewis also noticed something else -- the little boy from Perfecting Church who was denied a blessing is named Joshua. "You know, Jesus's name is really Joshua," she said. "Joshua is Jesus's namesake, and Jesus was born to a mother just like this mother."
    The pastor is a member of the Winans family, one of America's most famous gospel clans. He's a gospel singer who has released several albums with the Perfecting Church choir and a recurring member on "Tyler Perry's House of Payne." Winans also memorably delivered the eulogy at Whitney Houston's funeral in 2012. He was carjacked and assaulted outside a Detroit gas station in 2012.
    While Dr. Lewis has never met Winans, she said she believes he's a man with a "real heart for Jesus's people." She told The Huffington Post she hopes to someday have coffee with Winans to talk about the issue of withholding blessings.
    "The way we think about God and the way we think of what God wants us to do ... I think that happens in relationships," she said.
    She told The Huffington Post she would ask Rev. Winans this question:
    "What would be the harm of blessing those babies, versus the gain? And wouldn't the gain be that they are baptized and greeted into the community? Then, that Mama would have a whole community of Mamas and Daddies, and Aunties and Uncles to help raise the baby. That's actually a strong black church tradition," she added. "It takes a whole village to raise these children."
    "You make sure you put my phone number in there, okay?" Dr. Lewis asked.
    Rev. Winans, you can contact Dr. Lewis of Middle Collegiate Church here.
    The Huffington Post contacted Perfecting Church for comment and will update this story with any reply.