Black People : Judge Arrington lectures Blacks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/23/arrington_0424.html

Judge Marvin Arrington had seen and heard enough.

The parade of black men and women — criminals and mothers of criminals — he saw every day frustrated him.

Others say it was arrogance.

"You guys are destroying your lives," he admonished — after asking the few whites present to leave his Atlanta courtroom. "Black people, please, turn your life around."

The scolding quickly became national news earlier this month. Arrington's "fireside chat," as he later called it, was being compared to the more public criticism first voiced four years ago by actor Bill Cosby, who criticized some African-American families for not raising their kids right, slammed black youth for wearing their clothes backward and berated them for failing to master the queen's English.

Their messages were so similar that the judge and the comedian agreed to combine forces for a presentation Thursday evening at Benjamin E. Mays High School in Atlanta.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/23/arrington_0424.html

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the role of the judge is to decide cases before him based on the merits.
    he has over stepped his role and should be removed from the bench.

3. Yardlee

Yardlee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    While he may have a point, he needs to reinvite those white individuals into the courtroom and tell them that the white global elite have an agenda of white supremacy & racism by overt, covert, and blatant means of controlling the minorities.

4. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    judge arrington...

from what i've read about the man i have no problem with what he did,if only one of those young folks listens and turns his or her life around then it's worth it.

5. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    GON LAY DOWWN My BUUUURRDEENS!!!

Turn My Life Around

All we need in our lives is Guidance, That is the Truth

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    a judge is supposed to be impartial. i would hate to be a black person appearing in front of this fool who has already pre judged that you are wrong.

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    so i guess these poor unfortunate black folk were being picked on by this mean impartial judge,and did he talk to them before or after sentencing?did you consider that perhaps if someone would've talked to em earlier perhaps they wouldn't be standing in front of a judge.

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the court room is not that place

you presume that all black people in court have done something wrong? i think a lot of folk would dis agree with that.

if the judge wants to lecture black people he should get a venue and attract a crowd.
    here we have a black judge showing bias toward black people in the court room. he should be removed.
    if i were in that court i would have grounds for appeal.

a judge is not supposed to be biased.

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I don't see anybody asking for the removal of white judges who, under the guise of not showing partialIity, sentence a fourteen year old girl to seven years in prison for pushing somebody. White judges will tell you they are impartial and have no bias, then why is 95 percent of the prison population Black?

Because of the system Black youth have to live under and survive in I don't agree with Arlington and Cosby lamblasting the kids and their families. These men just doing what they feel they have to do to make it look like they are doing something so they can feel good about themselves. But Fred Hampton showed us what will happen to you if you're too effective.

Still I think calling for the judge's removal is kinda hardh. He can only put in his $0.02, It's not about assuming gult. In Amerikkka if you're Black and you stand before a judge with a bad F you attitude you are already assumed to be guilty of whatever they want you to be guilty of. You really think you can go in there demanding your right to appeal? They will a peel you all right. Like a orange peel. Ain't too many judges, certainly not a white one, who would take the time to turn these youth around (even if just their attitudes) in the 11th hour.

10. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think he was ok telling these guys to get their acts together - although putting the white folk out of the room.. hmmm.. was that a publicity stunt? or.. does he allow black kids who steal cars to get away with a slap on the wrist and tales on "joyriding" or does he put them in jail for grand theft? I don't know enough about the man.

BUT - I am getting tired of ppl with the way & means to help improve, turn to lecturing and not offering solution or teaching HOW - it is one thing to say "stop it" but if the victim doesn't have the tools (mentally, the insight or physically, the infrastructure) to create change.. then the words are moot.