Black Entertainment : JOSEPH FIENNES TO PLAY MICHAEL JACKSON

The academy feels safe viewing us in that fashion.

can't just be "The Academy" can it? Apparently black people respect the selections of the academy too; otherwise, they wouldn't covet and celebrate the slightest bit of Oscar recognition.

if "black" is so distinctively "other".. where is the "Black Academy"? Where is "black" support and investment in Black Theater.. and film schools.. etc. Where is the "black" critical analysis of black theater and film?..

and if we can't find those things.. how can we expect some other group of people to fully and fairly include "us" in theres without appending their perspectives / sterotypes / ideas about us? And how can we then be mad about them not including us?.. when we don't include our own selves?

the time for complaining about not being given a seat at other peoples tables has passed. The internet gives filmakers worldwide distribution.. the black film renaissance can begin any time now.. or not.

can't just be "The Academy" can it? Apparently black people respect the selections of the academy too; otherwise, they wouldn't covet and celebrate the slightest bit of Oscar recognition.

if "black" is so distinctively "other".. where is the "Black Academy"? Where is "black" support and investment in Black Theater.. and film schools.. etc. Where is the "black" critical analysis of black theater and film?..

and if we can't find those things.. how can we expect some other group of people to fully and fairly include "us" in theres without appending their perspectives / sterotypes / ideas about us? And how can we then be mad about them not including us?.. when we don't include our own selves?

the time for complaining about not being given a seat at other peoples tables has passed. The internet gives filmakers worldwide distribution.. the black film renaissance can begin any time now.. or not.

Every worker wants recognition for their work. You ignore both the BET and NAACP awards, that have existed for some time. But, being recognized by all your peers is still desired. So, maybe you are stretching it a bit here?

Every worker wants recognition for their work. You ignore both the BET and NAACP awards, that have existed for some time. But, being recognized by all your peers is still desired. So, maybe you are stretching it a bit here?

https://destee.com/threads/righting...ke-lee-with-honorary-oscar.84257/#post-927715

" ...we have the Image Awards and the Trumpet Awards we can support, forget the Oscars"
:rofl:

38th_n5.jpg
bd28430fba74126b6b3a0ad5c87a3291.jpg

Never thought we would have to defend MJ for his "blackness" and "black" philanthropy, even within his songs and lyrical content:

But might as well...

Excerpt from "Mtv: The Making of a Revolution" by Tom McGrath

All involved with Thriller knew that getting MTV to play Michael Jackson videos was anything but a sure thing. The reason was simple: In the channel's first eighteen months, as it had become a cult hit among white suburban teenagers all over America, it had played only a handful of clips by black artists. From Bob Pittman's and everyone else at MTV's point of view, it was simply a matter of format. Ever since the MTV flag was planted in the moon during the summer of 1981, the channel had positioned itself as a rock and roll station. And because only a few black acts -- Tina Turner, Prince, Joan Armatrading, the Bus Boys -- played what most people called rock and roll anymore, only a few had their clips played on the network. For Pittman, programming head Les Garland, and the rest of them, the situation was no different from radio, where few album rock stations played many black artists.

Book linked here

Michael Jackson broke down racial barriers

June 28, 2009

• Won't post any snippets here, better to read the complete article

Read More...

Excerpts from Earth Song

Hey, what about yesterday
(What about us)
What about the seas
(What about us)
The heavens are falling down
(What about us)
I can't even breathe
(What about us)
What about apathy
(What about us)
I need you
(What about us)
What about nature's worth
(Ooo, ooo)
It's our planet's womb
(What about us)
What about animals
(What about it)
We've turned kingdoms to dust
(What about us)
What about elephants
(What about us)
Have we lost their trust
(What about us)
What about crying whales
(What about us)
We're ravaging the seas
(What about us)
What about forest trails
(Ooo, ooo)
Burnt despite our pleas
(What about us)
What about the holy land
(What about it)
Torn apart by creed
(What about us)
What about the common man
(What about us)
Can't we set him free
(What about us)
What about children dying
(What about us)
Can't you hear them cry
(What about us)
Where did we go wrong
(Ooo, ooo)
Someone tell me why
(What about us)
What about babies
(What about it)
What about the days
(What about us)
What about all their joy
(What about us)
What about the man
(What about us)
What about the crying man
(What about us)
What about Abraham
(What about us)
What about death again
(Ooo, ooo)
Do we give a ****

Could you imagine MJ singing this at a Black Lives Matter rally?

No??

Well what about this?

Excerpts from We've Had Enough

Love was taken from a young live
And no one told her why
Her direction has a dim light
From one more violent crime
She innocently questioned why
Why her father had to die
She asked the men in blue
How is it that you get to choose
Who will live and who will die
Did god told you you could decide?
You saw he didn't run
And then my daddy had no gun

Mike was also fighting the "Demons" that run hollywood and the music industry, because they know what he could potentially do.

Excerpts

Hell all up in Hollywood
Sayin' that you got it good
Creepin' from a dusty hole
Tales of what somebody told

What do you want from me?
What do you want from me?
Tired of you haunting me, yeah yeah
You're aiming just for me
You are disgustin' me
You got blood lust for me
But too bad, too bad

Look who got slapped in the face
It's dead and stuffy in the place
I'm right back where I wanna be
I'm standin' though you're kickin' me

This song and video was referring to the fear he knew the industries had for him, and he wasn't shy to let them know either.

Notice the "white" man in the suit... played by MJ by the way, was a portrayal of the "people" that control the entertainment industries

Listen to "Blood on the Dancefloor"... Susie, another reference to the industry vultures that wanted MJ, but he kept rejecting them, which they didn't care much for.

But if needing more, here...

We're The World (USA For Africa)

One year after the release of "We Are the World", organizers noted that $44.5 million had been raised for USA for Africa's humanitarian fund. They stated that they were confident that they would reach an initial set target of $50 million (equivalent to $108 million in 2016). By October 1986, it was revealed that their $50 million target had been met and exceeded; CBS Records gave USA for Africa a check for $2.5 million, drawing the total amount of money to $51.2 million.USA for Africa's Hands Across America event had also raised a significant amount of money—approximately $24.5 million for the hungry in the US.

Since its release, "We Are the World" has raised over $63 million (equivalent to $136 million today) for humanitarian causes.Ninety percent of the money was pledged to African relief, both long and short term.

--above info supplied from wikipedia--

Then there was "Liberian Girl"...

Memory of Michael Jackson uplifts Liberia

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Margaret Carson, 41, sells eggs on a Ganta roadside. She is a fan of Mr. Jackson’s “Liberian Girl.”

“When that music came out … the Liberian girls were so astonished to hear a great musician like Michael Jackson thinking about a little country in Africa,” Mrs. Carson said. “It gave us hope, especially when things went bad … . It make us to feel that we are still part of the world.”

Read full article...

And this song had so much more meaning than many wouldn't pick up on, it's ridiculous

The video is flamboyant and MJ does his best Bruce LeRoy (Last Dragon) impression, but that was Mike.

We're Takin' Over
We Have The Truth
This Is The Mission
To See It Through

Don't Point Your Finger
Not Dangerous
This Is Our Planet
You're One Of Us

Respect

Much respect to Michael he knew who we are, and he was killed for that and for being the man and the king in the music business, they didn't like a young black man that made white women go faint over him, literally ripping his shirt and pants ,and wanting his kids and that started during off the wall and thriller , he was a threat, may he rest with the most high and finally be at peace

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back